6 Killed, 38+ Injured after Shooting at Highland Park, IL 7/4 Parade (UPDATE: shooter in custody)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:03:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  6 Killed, 38+ Injured after Shooting at Highland Park, IL 7/4 Parade (UPDATE: shooter in custody)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: 6 Killed, 38+ Injured after Shooting at Highland Park, IL 7/4 Parade (UPDATE: shooter in custody)  (Read 3602 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: July 06, 2022, 03:11:34 PM »

He shouldn't have been sold those guns, but he also shouldn't have even been allowed to bumble around the streets of this country. He was clearly a deranged man, eager to kill. Why was he not thrown into an institution?

That's another common thread that runs through all these mass shootings. The killer is almost always someone who everyone around him knows is violently crazy, but nothing happens about it.

If we locked-up everyone who seemed deranged in this country, we'd have to build Stalinist gulags covering the entire span of the Dakotas to contain them. In any case, who is deranged and why should I trust you or anyone else to be the judge of that?

I don't have an answer, and I certainly don't want to subject every unwell or angry person to a nightmarish One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest experience. I'm pointing out that maybe people who have repeatedly acted like lunatics and have demonstrated an intense, sadistic desire to kill innocent people shouldn't be left to wander around aimlessly until they start killing people. I'm not saying they should go to jail, I'm just saying they need some kind of intervention.
Almost immediately some type of program like this would be abused and you’ll see a lot of people locked up for trivial reasons.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #101 on: July 06, 2022, 03:37:19 PM »

He shouldn't have been sold those guns, but he also shouldn't have even been allowed to bumble around the streets of this country. He was clearly a deranged man, eager to kill. Why was he not thrown into an institution?

That's another common thread that runs through all these mass shootings. The killer is almost always someone who everyone around him knows is violently crazy, but nothing happens about it.

If we locked-up everyone who seemed deranged in this country, we'd have to build Stalinist gulags covering the entire span of the Dakotas to contain them. In any case, who is deranged and why should I trust you or anyone else to be the judge of that?

I don't have an answer, and I certainly don't want to subject every unwell or angry person to a nightmarish One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest experience. I'm pointing out that maybe people who have repeatedly acted like lunatics and have demonstrated an intense, sadistic desire to kill innocent people shouldn't be left to wander around aimlessly until they start killing people. I'm not saying they should go to jail, I'm just saying they need some kind of intervention.
Almost immediately some type of program like this would be abused and you’ll see a lot of people locked up for trivial reasons.

Fair enough, but if we're not going to control guns or treat crazies then there's no way out of these mass shootings. I desperately want to see America embrace family again and encourage community and togetherness like we used to, but there's way too much profit and power incentives in making sure everybody is as scared, angry, and lonely as possible   
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #102 on: July 06, 2022, 05:06:40 PM »

These are the lives lost from the July Fourth parade mass shooting.

See images and read short bios, of the people who died.
Sad
https://us.cnn.com/2022/07/05/us/victims-highland-park-illinois-shooting-fourth-of-july/index.html
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #103 on: July 06, 2022, 06:42:08 PM »

Fair enough, but if we're not going to control guns or treat crazies then there's no way out of these mass shootings. I desperately want to see America embrace family again and encourage community and togetherness like we used to, but there's way too much profit and power incentives in making sure everybody is as scared, angry, and lonely as possible   
The thing is most “crazies” are at risk of violence from normal society than being perpetrators. This shooter has no markers of being mentally ill and grew up as a spoiled suburban dweeb.

There is a profit incentive to keep people miserable, but it is mostly a common byproduct of our current means of production. Unless that goes and the number of dweebs from middle class neighborhoods looking for attention becomes a nonfactor, we will always deal with this threat.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #104 on: July 06, 2022, 06:48:27 PM »

I'm glad we don't have an NRA here in Australia.

I don't like John Howard one bit, but he had the guts to put the National Firearms Agreement into action.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies