Police shooting of black man in Akron. Akron cancels 4th of July event
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:49:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Police shooting of black man in Akron. Akron cancels 4th of July event
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Police shooting of black man in Akron. Akron cancels 4th of July event  (Read 1374 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 03, 2022, 02:03:54 AM »

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/ohio-police-officers-shot-fleeing-black-man-dozens-times-lawyer-says-2022-07-02/

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/02/us/jayland-walker-akron-police-shooting.html
An unspecified number of police officers in Akron, Ohio, were placed on administrative leave after the fatal shooting of a 25-year-old Black man who the police said continued to drive after they tried to pull him over for an unspecified traffic violation.

Officials in Akron were bracing for protests that could follow the release on Sunday of footage of the shooting, which took place after the driver, Jayland Walker, exited his vehicle and fled on foot to a parking lot early Monday morning.

A lawyer for the family of Mr. Walker said the footage shows that he was running away, unarmed, when police officers fired at him more than 90 times.

TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 02:08:13 AM »

If this is what is seems like… yikes, to say the least. Police should definitely face manslaughter charges. You can’t shoot someone just because they don’t listen to you if they aren’t posing a threat.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 02:08:58 AM »

If this is what is seems like… yikes, to say the least. Police should definitely face manslaughter charges. You can’t shoot someone just because they don’t listen to you if they aren’t posing a threat.

We will get bodycam footage in a few hours .
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2022, 02:12:52 AM »

We will get bodycam footage in a few hours .
Good.
We need a speedy resolution to this case.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 06:09:33 AM »

Depends if they can use deadly force in this situation.

Wait for details about the situation.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2022, 06:38:57 AM »

The cops are saying he shot at them.  I guess we'll know enough today at 1pm as they plan on releasing ALL the badge cams.  I suspect it will be like the vast majority of these cases, the "victim"'s actions will be the main reason the victim ended up dead/in a hospital.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 09:02:02 AM »

Seems hard to justify shooting an unarmed person who is running away over a traffic violation.
Jeffster
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 03:06:53 PM »

Seems hard to justify shooting an unarmed person who is running away over a traffic violation.

Multiple cops yelled "shot fired" on their bodycam, and there is footage from a street cam showing a muzzle flash from the vehicle while they were pursuing him. Then when the car stops he is seen exiting the passenger side wearing a ski mask, and he runs away, they chase after him, at least one cop fires a tazer at him which does not work. It wasn't until he abruptly spins around and appears to grab his waistband that the cops opened fire on him. The gun was found in the car and a spent casing was found as well. Forensics will determine if it was fired recently, but combined with the other evidence it is clear he fired at them first, so they had every reason to believe he was still armed when he spun around to face them.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 03:15:43 PM »

Multiple cops yelled "shot fired" on their bodycam, and there is footage from a street cam showing a muzzle flash from the vehicle while they were pursuing him. Then when the car stops he is seen exiting the passenger side wearing a ski mask, and he runs away, they chase after him, at least one cop fires a tazer at him which does not work. It wasn't until he abruptly spins around and appears to grab his waistband that the cops opened fire on him. The gun was found in the car and a spent casing was found as well. Forensics will determine if it was fired recently, but combined with the other evidence it is clear he fired at them first, so they had every reason to believe he was still armed when he spun around to face them.
If he shot at cops, then it's hard to really consider him a capital-v victim is it?
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 03:48:22 PM »

shot at him 90 times?
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2022, 03:53:59 PM »

A lot of people on Twitter are saying it's an election year, and this will wake up BLM. Are they right?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2022, 04:47:46 PM »

A lot of people on Twitter are saying [...] Are they right?

The answer is always no.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2022, 05:35:09 PM »

A lot of people on Twitter are saying it's an election year, and this will wake up BLM. Are they right?

The only people saying this are people who completely disregard the context in which George Floyd and others died in the first place
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2022, 07:14:56 PM »

The only people saying this are people who completely disregard the context in which George Floyd and others died in the first place
In all seriousness, I think think this case should face scrutiny. There is ZERO excuse for LEO with deadly weapons to murder unarmed citizens, no less a black man given the history of racism in policing.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2022, 07:43:51 PM »

In all seriousness, I think think this case should face scrutiny. There is ZERO excuse for LEO with deadly weapons to murder unarmed citizens, no less a black man given the history of racism in policing.

Absolutely, there's no denying that. But the point was more that twitter generally isn't the best place to gauge public reaction, as it's a lot harder to deny wrongdoing when you have several minutes of witness video of multiple cops sitting on a man's throat (BLM had a high degree of public support for some time) vs a shooting death, which unfortunately a large amount of the public still seems to find acceptable.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2022, 08:28:45 PM »

The cops are saying he shot at them.  I guess we'll know enough today at 1pm as they plan on releasing ALL the badge cams.  I suspect it will be like the vast majority of these cases, the "victim"'s actions will be the main reason the victim ended up dead/in a hospital.
Whether American or Israeli, our Libertarian friend is always ready to lick some boot
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2022, 08:41:40 PM »

Oh, well if the cops are saying it it must be true!
Jeffster
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2022, 09:18:52 PM »

https://youtu.be/Zckut1RTtgg?t=1383

Here is the video the police put out today breaking down the various bodycams and street cam footage. The relevant stuff begins around 23 minutes in and it will take about 3 and a half minutes. You can even hear the gunshot from the suspect at around the 24 minute mark, then a few seconds later the cops say shot fired. A photo of the gun and a spent casing is seen in the car seat at around the 26:30 mark.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2022, 09:37:32 PM »

Here we go again. When will we learn??
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2022, 10:04:50 PM »

The cops are saying he shot at them.  I guess we'll know enough today at 1pm as they plan on releasing ALL the badge cams.  I suspect it will be like the vast majority of these cases, the "victim"'s actions will be the main reason the victim ended up dead/in a hospital.
Whether American or Israeli, our Libertarian friend is always ready to lick some boot
you have not paid attention to my posting history.  I actually take these on a case by case basis, weigh the facts as they are with no pre-set biases.  Sometimes the cops effed up (Breonna Taylor) and need to be held responsible.  Sometimes the cops did nothing wrong (Michael Brown) and take sh**t anyway.  Often it's somewhere in the middle, as seems to be the case here.

One thing we all know is that if the person that got shot had done what every sane person in the world would suggest they do, they'd still be alive.  That doesn't mean they have to be shot, but his actions lead the police to have some good excuses to shoot him.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2022, 11:32:48 PM »

It’s the people vs the state in Akron rn, that’s all I’m gonna say.  Smile
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2022, 11:46:49 PM »

If absolutely nothing else this is another case that shows the police should not have lethal rounds. If 60-90 shots were fired as the reports say, that's more than enough to stop a person with rubber bullets (though it'll sure feel like hell).

If the person was indeed a threat the police are not left without stopping power and if it turns out they were mistaken, it's far less likely we'll have somebody paying with their life.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2022, 02:17:59 AM »

The cops are saying he shot at them.  I guess we'll know enough today at 1pm as they plan on releasing ALL the badge cams.  I suspect it will be like the vast majority of these cases, the "victim"'s actions will be the main reason the victim ended up dead/in a hospital.
you have not paid attention to my posting history.  I actually take these on a case by case basis, weigh the facts as they are with no pre-set biases.  Sometimes the cops effed up (Breonna Taylor) and need to be held responsible.  Sometimes the cops did nothing wrong (Michael Brown) and take sh**t anyway.  Often it's somewhere in the middle, as seems to be the case here.

One thing we all know is that if the person that got shot had done what every sane person in the world would suggest they do, they'd still be alive.  That doesn't mean they have to be shot, but his actions lead the police to have some good excuses to shoot him.
Have you watched the bodycam?

The cops were extremely reckless. Even if the claim that this guy had previously fired a shot from the car is true, it would be far more dangerous to just spray 90 rounds into the darkness like that. There could've been bystanders and imagine all the bullets ricocheting possibilities.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2022, 02:30:14 AM »

Thank you. Why should we believe a single thing they say. 90 bullets? Holy crap. No wonder they probably killed a kid in Uvalde.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2022, 02:32:49 AM »

If absolutely nothing else this is another case that shows the police should not have lethal rounds. If 60-90 shots were fired as the reports say, that's more than enough to stop a person with rubber bullets (though it'll sure feel like hell).

If the person was indeed a threat the police are not left without stopping power and if it turns out they were mistaken, it's far less likely we'll have somebody paying with their life.
Cops are not up against ordinary people. They are up against criminals, who *do* have lethal rounds. Cops must be ready to confront criminals.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies