TX Supreme Court: Texas can enforce 1925 abortion ban
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:00:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  TX Supreme Court: Texas can enforce 1925 abortion ban
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TX Supreme Court: Texas can enforce 1925 abortion ban  (Read 445 times)
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 03, 2022, 01:21:22 AM »

Full Article Link

Texas can enforce its abortion ban from 1925, the state Supreme Court ruled late Friday evening, a decision that exposes abortion providers to lawsuits and financial penalties if they continue to perform the procedure.

The court overruled a district judge in Houston, who on Tuesday had temporarily blocked the state’s old abortion law from going into effect. That law made performing an abortion, by any method, punishable by two to 10 years in prison.

Friday’s decision does not permit prosecutors to bring criminal cases against abortion providers, but it exposes anyone who assists in the procurement of an abortion to fines and lawsuits.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 03:30:26 AM »

Can they at least repeal their stupid law that unleashes a bunch of vigilantes suing people involved in abortions? If they do and the state just enforces it like a normal law, that would be a small silver lining of Dobbs.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 11:47:56 AM »

Friday’s decision does not permit prosecutors to bring criminal cases against abortion providers, but it exposes anyone who assists in the procurement of an abortion to fines and lawsuits
Isn't this already the case apart from the 1925 law?  What changes?
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2022, 11:53:10 AM »

It's going to take going back to coat hangars, dead women and other tragedies for enough people to open their eyes to the true horror of this decision. Sadly, people have very short attention spans and so many have forgotten the horror that happened before Roe to women in the 60's, 50's and earlier.

I'm ashamed of my country and it's descent towards theocratic authoritarianism.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 11:59:48 AM »

Friday’s decision does not permit prosecutors to bring criminal cases against abortion providers, but it exposes anyone who assists in the procurement of an abortion to fines and lawsuits
Isn't this already the case apart from the 1925 law?  What changes?

They are following precedent?
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2022, 12:00:46 PM »

It's going to take going back to coat hangars, dead women and other tragedies for enough people to open their eyes to the true horror of this decision. Sadly, people have very short attention spans and so many have forgotten the horror that happened before Roe to women in the 60's, 50's and earlier.

Don't waste time on being ashamed. Get vocal and active.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 12:04:53 PM »

I have been to protests. Before and after the decision fell. I have been donating to Progressive Organizations, contributing to mutual aid funds and done my best to have an amplified voice.

Revolutionary Optimism is just hard sometimes when you're faced with real evil.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 12:13:07 PM »

This Abortion ban is gonna spill over to the Gov race Abbott is only leading by 8 pts, Abbott isn't gonna win by a landslide

8 pts doesn't mean alot win 30 percent out of 50 percent of the D vote is black and Brown plus non Evangelical white female and young white votes under 30 yrs old
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 12:14:14 PM »

I have been to protests. Before and after the decision fell. I have been donating to Progressive Organizations, contributing to mutual aid funds and done my best to have an amplified voice.

Revolutionary Optimism is just hard sometimes when you're faced with real evil.

Thank you on behalf of women everywhere. It's heartening to hear that you are being so active.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2022, 10:23:52 AM »

aaah they're letting people vote on their preferred policies rather than having nine unelected people in creepy robes decide everything this is literally theocracy
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2022, 11:29:57 AM »

aaah they're letting people vote on their preferred policies rather than having nine unelected people in creepy robes decide everything this is literally theocracy

If you don’t want to see it, I don’t know what to tell you man. What’s happening is right in front of your eyes, I guess it’s gonna take woman receiving felonies and deaths to wake you up though.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies