OR Health Officials Delayed Meeting Because 'Urgency Is a White Supremacy Value'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:32:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  OR Health Officials Delayed Meeting Because 'Urgency Is a White Supremacy Value'
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OR Health Officials Delayed Meeting Because 'Urgency Is a White Supremacy Value'  (Read 1119 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2022, 11:03:02 PM »

Reason
In an email obtained by Reason, Regional Health Equity Coalition Program Manager Danielle Droppers informed the community that a scheduled conversation between OHA officials and relevant members of the public would not take place as planned.

"Thank you for your interest in attending the community conversation between Regional Health Equity Coalitions (RHECs) and Community Advisory Councils (CACs) to discuss the Community Investment Collaboratives (CICs)," wrote Droppers. "We recognize that urgency is a white supremacy value that can get in the way of more intentional and thoughtful work, and we want to attend to this dynamic. Therefore, we will reach out at a later date to reschedule."

Droppers did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The email was sent from Droppers' state government email address, and drew sharp rebukes from many who received it. One such community member replied that "as a person of color, I am calling BS!" Another recipient, a health equity manager at a medical group, said she was "thrown" by the claim.

"Please, educate me on what the state means by urgency is a white supremacy value," she wrote. "Also, I would like to know how this gets in the way of the RHEC/CAC work. I have struggled all morning with how to communicate the reason for the postponement to our CAC."

Droppers did not follow up on her initial email with an explanation. A county health official, however, responded that "I too was taken by surprise on the statement and decided to investigate it for further comprehension and wanted to share a link that I found."

The link redirects to a website that purportedly identifies aspects of white supremacy culture. The website was "conceived and designed" by Tema Okun, a white antiracist educator who has popularized the idea that several benign and widespread traits are actually characteristic of white supremacy. Among these are preferring quantity over quality, wanting things to be written down, perfectionism, becoming defensive, and yes, possessing a sense of urgency.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 11:55:38 PM »

I respect the grift (I too hate doing my job in a timely fashion and would love to have an excuse not to), but I find myself wondering if anyone involved genuinely believes this or if it's just grifters all the way down.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 12:02:23 AM »

I respect the grift (I too hate doing my job in a timely fashion and would love to have an excuse not to), but I find myself wondering if anyone involved genuinely believes this or if it's just grifters all the way down.

Kinda reminds me of how Robin DeAngelo claims that asking students to show their work in a math problem is "white supremacy," while Ron DeSantis claims it's "critical race theory." Given how bad so many Americans are at math, I can see how their grifts would have some mass appeal.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2022, 12:08:00 AM »

Meek human beings accept the silly excuses that permit them not to put in the work.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 12:30:01 AM »

Oregon Dems are rlly some of the worst in the nation just from an optics standpoint
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2022, 12:31:44 AM »

inb4 15 pages
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 02:39:51 AM »

Why does Oregon constantly seem like it wants to be the west's Florida?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 05:02:16 AM »

you think it will do that much better than your "Rittenhouse Dares to make money" thread from last week?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 11:07:24 PM »

Cartoonish
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 11:18:03 PM »

Whatever.
Must been smoking some strong stuff.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2022, 11:30:22 PM »

So apparently if your grandparent was dying and was having to go to the hospital, the urgency is somehow white supremacy? Is a house now a table? Is the sky a chair?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2022, 12:20:48 AM »

Threads like this and the 'menstrual products in men's bathrooms' thread would be over much quicker if it weren't for the people who inevitably try to defend the indefensible.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2022, 12:44:35 AM »

Sounds like a very convenient bullsh!t excuse to avoid a deadline because someone wasn't ready.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2022, 01:00:26 AM »

Embarrassing.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2022, 11:21:08 AM »

Glad to see I finally have an excuse for being late to work.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2022, 11:31:09 AM »

A better reason would’ve been cause white supremacy is such an urgent threat to meet and address it.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2022, 12:14:35 PM »

I think I know what my excuse will be tomorrow when I show up at work at 11am.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2022, 01:37:16 PM »

This is obscenely patronizing. Imagine having the audacity to identify as anti-racist and then believe nonwhite people are incapable of rudimentary skills. Imagine being so historically illiterate that you think the only cultures to care about quantity, writing, success, and timekeeping are European. Disgusting.

Yup, these people are the true racists.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2022, 02:04:54 PM »

Well that's one of the most incoherent things I've read in a while.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2022, 02:07:47 PM »

Maybe it is. Afterall, it discriminates against those who subscribe to Desi Standard Time.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2022, 06:33:37 PM »

Hopefully whatever lazy idiots were responsible for this nonsense get fired
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2022, 10:04:20 PM »

This reads like parody. The fact that they literally outright said that "urgency is a white supremacy value" was quite surprising. Anyway, it's extremely idiotic. Also agree with this post -

This is obscenely patronizing. Imagine having the audacity to identify as anti-racist and then believe nonwhite people are incapable of rudimentary skills. Imagine being so historically illiterate that you think the only cultures to care about quantity, writing, success, and timekeeping are European. Disgusting.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2022, 11:46:14 PM »

I think this story would be a lot more damning if this was the justification in some sort of memo sent out for a policy greatly loosening deadlines instead of the excuse from a single person explaining why she's not going to do what was expected on time. She's obviously just concocting a lame excuse with a woke justification, and thankfully no one is buying it. Hopefully this also means that she'll be out of a job soon.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2022, 03:49:07 AM »

Threads like this and the 'menstrual products in men's bathrooms' thread would be over much quicker if it weren't for the people who inevitably try to defend the indefensible.

I did not and will not defend this.

Though I do find it strange that you would compare this instance of ridiculous racism to something as mundane as putting hygiene products in a bathroom.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2022, 04:34:52 AM »

I did not and will not defend this.

Though I do find it strange that you would compare this instance of ridiculous racism to something as mundane as putting hygiene products in a bathroom.

A bunch of people here have developed a pathological obsession with transgenders to the point literally everything somehow goes back to them, so it's not all that surprising
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies