Hypothetical: If Democrats just nuked the filibuster entirely and passed Biden's whole agenda...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:18:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hypothetical: If Democrats just nuked the filibuster entirely and passed Biden's whole agenda...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hypothetical: If Democrats just nuked the filibuster entirely and passed Biden's whole agenda...  (Read 579 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2022, 02:11:30 PM »

How would the American public react and how would that affect polling numbers?

Say either Manchin and Sinema cave for whatever reason, or at least one or two Republican senators would leave early and replaced by appointees of a Democratic governor, and Democrats subsequently nuke the entire filibuster and just start passing Biden's entire agenda such as BBB, public healthcare option, HR1 and the John Lewis Voting Rights Act, gun control, an immigration bill according to "liberal's wishlist", tax reform, codify Roe into law and a climate bill.

Would polling numbers of Biden and vulnerable incumbents in congress seeking reelection increase? Or would Democratic/progressive excitement cancel out swing voters who feel the party "overreached"?

It's a pure hypothetical of course and not going to happen, but an interesting though experiment.

Of course I would rather have Democrats passing all this stuff and then suffer 2010 on steroids loss rather than just a smaller loss or somehow a neutral election without passing it.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 02:23:07 PM »

Nobody would even know.  The media wouldn't cover any of the bills we pass.  It would be just week after week of both-sides-ing in the media about the "Democratic Party's undermining of democracy."

Remember how much the media criticized the Republicans after they abolished the filibuster to shove Gorsuch through?  Yeah that's right, zero, nada, zilch, not at all.  But you bet your ass if the Democrats did anything similar we'd be f---ing crucified by the "liberal media" all week long.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 02:31:38 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2022, 02:39:42 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Sinema already said she won't budge in the Filibuster we only have 150 days, the Rs are favored in the H but nothing is final until EDay and if need be the Rs will have a small enough majority 12 seats is nothing, that's likely the R majority 23o not 241 and can be won back in 24 and we have FL and TX in the S as tossup

Likely Scenario 230 RH 52/48 S
Optimistic 218 DH and 55 S NC, OH, FL

12 seats all that is needed to win back H and S battleground is FL and TX

Sinema made it clear on Voting Rights that as the 50 th D she won't carve out Filibuster, Biden already invited her to WH

D's are gonna win red states again AZ, GA, VA, CO, NV were all red in 2006 after 20o6 they were blue it's only a matter of time OH, NC and FL with Max blks and Latinos turn blue again
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 02:54:06 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2022, 03:33:20 PM by Clarence "I hate my wife, I hate my life" Thomas »

The blatantly politicized and partisan SCOTUS:

emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 04:12:00 PM »

If that had happened last year, I don't think he would have gone underwater, even if Afghanistan played out the same.

If it happened now, I think his numbers might improve 5-10 points but he'd still be underwater with inflation.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 04:15:12 PM »

Probably no net long term impact.  Also, it all gets repealed in either 2025 or 2029 and a federal heartbeat bill on abortion passes immediately.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 04:47:44 PM »

Nobody would even know.  The media wouldn't cover any of the bills we pass.  It would be just week after week of both-sides-ing in the media about the "Democratic Party's undermining of democracy."

Remember how much the media criticized the Republicans after they abolished the filibuster to shove Gorsuch through?  Yeah that's right, zero, nada, zilch, not at all.  But you bet your ass if the Democrats did anything similar we'd be f---ing crucified by the "liberal media" all week long.

This.

It seems to me that the mass media are creatures of the status quo. Much of the Democratic agent (the parts that have the most trouble getting passed...) are transformative. Whether change is good or bad, the mass media will always try to direct the narrative back to an unchanging (in terms of economics, governance, and power) statist position. (I'm trying to avoid saying "centrist" because that carries of lot of baggage that I think is inaccurate in this context.)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 05:08:47 PM »

Probably no net long term impact.  Also, it all gets repealed in either 2025 or 2029 and a federal heartbeat bill on abortion passes immediately.

The BBB would be too popular to repeal and parts of it like climate provisions would already have had the desired impact. The other stuff would be doable but the public would be less on board with the Republican position when it is changing stuff compared to just not passing new laws. The Republicans failed completely at removing any government programs, even Obamacare. But the reason they'd fail is the reason Biden would fail, even without the filibuster it is hard to unite one party and get a majority for a bill.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 05:16:12 PM »

The Democrats would do better than what's coming in November 2022/2024.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2022, 06:37:22 PM »

I think it would have done a lot to keep Democrats in his good graces, and when the benefits of many of the pursued agenda's parts became tangible the average American would probably warm up to them too. One thing you definitely wouldn't be able to criticize him for would have been not getting anything done, legislatively.

On the flip side, inflation and gas price increases likely still would have happened and the GOP would draw a correlation between Biden's agenda and all that. Furthermore, they would probably try to make it out like Biden is abusing his power.

I think it would have been better for the country though, in spite of the downsides and inevitably allowing  GOP having an easier time passing legislation the next time they get a trifecta. Even beyond the economic accomplishments our democracy would be in a better place if we had DC statehood, Puerto Rican statehood, and a new voting rights act all born out of the simple action of Manchin and Sinema ending the filibuster. That said, I don't know that those two would even be game for most of what the Democrats would want to pass. It would still be like pulling teeth in trying to get those two to agree to anything.

So, when we inevitably end up having to have sex only under the supervision of a clergy member, let's remember Manchin and Sinema as two of the biggest villains of the decade for allowing us to get to this point (though there is still more blame to go around).
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2022, 08:02:47 PM »

Probably too late for this to save the Dems from midterm disaster, could've done with passing BBB and the rest last year.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2022, 08:06:56 PM »

It would be good policy, and shape what future Democratic candidates ran on. But unsure how it would impact these midterms.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2022, 08:47:47 PM »

Nothing changes, as the true effects of the changes wouldn't be realized in time...just a few kinks to work out.

Almost everyone is pretty much in a settled camp at this point.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2022, 11:58:42 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2022, 12:03:00 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Sinema already said again she is against the nuke the Filibuster, the EDay is 150 days from now, we just have to wait

What if D's find themselves in the Minority again, they used the Filibuster too especially if they lose in 22, I am not expecting it, but what if that happens
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies