FL school board votes to treat gay kids as sex offenders
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:36:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  FL school board votes to treat gay kids as sex offenders
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: FL school board votes to treat gay kids as sex offenders  (Read 1062 times)
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2022, 08:24:51 AM »

Oh hey the stuff we said “Don’t Say Gay” would cause keeps happening. Good job DeSantis enablers
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 08:27:11 AM »

Sigh...
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 08:29:51 AM »

Also, obligatory reminder that we we are all insane liars.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 08:34:55 AM »

This sounds like it’s about persecuting trans kids in particular.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 08:38:26 AM »

PS: The actual policy is here: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/22074439-the-leon-county-school-districts-lgbtq-inclusive-guide-with-amendments

It actually is fixable. It seems like the district is "trying" to simultaneously be somewhat accommodating of LGBT students and also do something to help the bigots' feelings, but you're never going to be able to do both. Obviously most Republicans are going to think this policy doesn't go far enough.

Ultimately, it's none of your God damn business if another student at your child's school is LGBT unless that student/family wants you to know.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 08:38:45 AM »

We’re living in the Onion.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 08:41:32 AM »

I would be very skeptical if this is the case.  This is LEON County, which includes Tallahassee; it is one of the most LIBERAL and DEMOCRATIC Counties in all of Florida.  Leon County and Gadsden County are reliably Democratic in Presidential elections and elect liberals at all levels.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 08:49:24 AM »

Republicans have lost their minds -- suddenly they're more openly and viscously anti-gay than they were decades ago.

If this is LEON County, FL, I doubt very much that these are Republicans on the School Board.  Florida has non-partisan elections for county school boards, but I would be utterly astonished to find out that Republican SoCons were able to launch a stealth operation sufficient to take over the School Board of a County which is 30% black with a heavy college student population that is 2-1 Democratic and doesn't have a single elected Republican official at the County or District level.

Also, obligatory reminder that we we are all insane liars.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 09:15:36 AM »

I would be very skeptical if this is the case.  This is LEON County, which includes Tallahassee; it is one of the most LIBERAL and DEMOCRATIC Counties in all of Florida.  Leon County and Gadsden County are reliably Democratic in Presidential elections and elect liberals at all levels.

That’s why hopefully they get yeeted.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2022, 09:17:49 AM »

That’s why hopefully they get yeeted.

I would note that the source of this thread topic is a Tweet and not an article.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2022, 09:24:22 AM »

I don't think the Parental Rights in Education Act bill actually says anything about this. Either way this is terrible and I hope the decision is overturned.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2022, 09:37:04 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2022, 09:47:06 AM by Horus »

I don't think the Parental Rights in Education Act bill actually says anything about this. Either way this is terrible and I hope the decision is overturned.

Yeah there are only like two objectionable sentences in the policy, but the language is broad enough that kids, particularly trans identifying kids, could definitely still be hurt. The school board should reconvene and fix this.

This sounds like it’s about persecuting trans kids in particular.

Yep. All of the controversial, highlighted portions are related to gender identity. Title should be changed from "gay" to "trans."
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2022, 09:40:04 AM »

“How law that painted gay people as sexual deviants leading to gay kids being profiled?” Is the line of argument you are going with?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2022, 09:43:46 AM »

I don't think the Parental Rights in Education Act bill actually says anything about this.

We all knew the doors it would open, including Republicans who wanted those doors opened, but instead they just called us pedophiles and groomers ourselves when we pointed this out.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2022, 10:41:59 AM »

Wait I thought the “parental rights in education” bill was just about addressing the imaginary problem of kindergarten teachers describing anal sex to children?
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2022, 10:52:00 AM »

I hope every single family member of a gay or trans child in the state is heavily motivated to get involved in Florida politics.  This is not family values.  This is an attack on a small group of vulnerable children.  It's based on a mountain of hateful lies. 

The idea that the state could persecute a tiny minority of its citizens like this, it's a SIN.  It comes straight out of the pit of hell.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2022, 11:00:04 AM »

It's a tricky slope here.  No one wants kids in a situation where girls are looked at in an objectified matter by boys (or, to a lesser degree, boys looked at in an objectified manner by girls).  School is not about that.  Now, however, we have gotten into "sexual orientation" and "gender identity" in schools, so how unfair is it, really, to not want your daughter to be subject to be looked at in an objectified way by another girl(s) or not want your son to be subject to being looked at in an objectified way by another boy(s)?

The fact is that High School Students are not supposed to be sexually active.  I live in the real world, of course, but they're not to be sexually active, and schools aren't supposed to encourage this.  This is where we're at, however.  If we don't want kids to be objectified by students of the opposite sex, why should it be less of a concern for parents that their child be objectified by students of the same sex?

Parents have a right (and, arguably, a duty) to ensure that their underage children are not sexually active.  That has become more complicated these days, but the principle still applies.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2022, 11:24:58 AM »

Another of the countless examples how "the GOP has moderated on social issues".
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2022, 12:30:02 PM »

The article says the opposite of what comedy TV writer Ben Siemon claims it does

The policy language does explicitly say a student’s sexual orientation, gender identity or expression “should not be shared with others without their input and permission.”
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2022, 12:51:53 PM »

The article says the opposite of what comedy TV writer Ben Siemon claims it does

The policy language does explicitly say a student’s sexual orientation, gender identity or expression “should not be shared with others without their input and permission.”

However if the child identifies as trans and does share said information, a note must be sent to all the parents that a trans identifying child will be using the locker room with their child.

Nothing else is objectionable sure. But that part of the policy seems invasive and unnecessary.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2022, 12:58:09 PM »

However if the child identifies as trans and does share said information, a note must be sent to all the parents that a trans identifying child will be using the locker room with their child.

Nothing else is objectionable sure. But that part of the policy seems invasive and unnecessary.

The idea is to allow the trans kid to use the locker room while allowing parents who aren't comfortable with that (just as they might not be comfortable with any kid of the other sex) to have their kids not be in there also. 
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2022, 01:00:17 PM »

The idea is to allow the trans kid to use the locker room while allowing parents who aren't comfortable with that to have their kids not be in there also. 

I get that. It still, to me, seems invasive and big brotherish.

With that being said the thread title is inaccurate and hyperbolic. It should be changed.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2022, 02:25:21 PM »

It's a tricky slope here.  No one wants kids in a situation where girls are looked at in an objectified matter by boys (or, to a lesser degree, boys looked at in an objectified manner by girls).  School is not about that.  Now, however, we have gotten into "sexual orientation" and "gender identity" in schools, so how unfair is it, really, to not want your daughter to be subject to be looked at in an objectified way by another girl(s) or not want your son to be subject to being looked at in an objectified way by another boy(s)?

The fact is that High School Students are not supposed to be sexually active.  I live in the real world, of course, but they're not to be sexually active, and schools aren't supposed to encourage this.  This is where we're at, however.  If we don't want kids to be objectified by students of the opposite sex, why should it be less of a concern for parents that their child be objectified by students of the same sex?

Parents have a right (and, arguably, a duty) to ensure that their underage children are not sexually active.  That has become more complicated these days, but the principle still applies.

This is one of the strangest posts I've ever read on this website.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2022, 02:41:11 PM »

This is one of the strangest posts I've ever read on this website.

This is one of strangest topics I've ever read on this website. 
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2022, 03:52:58 PM »

I hope every single family member of a gay or trans child in the state is heavily motivated to get involved in Florida politics.  This is not family values.  This is an attack on a small group of vulnerable children.  It's based on a mountain of hateful lies.  

The idea that the state could persecute a tiny minority of its citizens like this, it's a SIN.  It comes straight out of the pit of hell.

Florida's a lost cause at this point. Their best chances are to move to another state. It's been irredeemably bad for decades for a wide variety of reasons, even before the political crazies came into office.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies