Texas Education Agency proposed changing slavery to involuntary relocation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:45:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Texas Education Agency proposed changing slavery to involuntary relocation
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Texas Education Agency proposed changing slavery to involuntary relocation  (Read 792 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2022, 11:07:04 PM »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/texas-education-officials-proposed-changing-slavery-to-involuntary-relocation-for-second-grade-standards/

Texas education officials are considering a change in the way slavery is taught to second graders – replacing the word "slavery" with "involuntary relocation" in state standards.

The Texas Education Agency, which is responsible for setting curriculums and state-wide student assessment testing, has multiple "work groups" that draft curriculums for each subject and grade.

When the agency presented the idea to use "involuntary relocation" at a recent State Board of Education meeting, board member Aicha Davis said she was "not OK with that at all." Davis shared a clip from the meeting on Facebook.

"There is a viral post stating the Texas Education Agency is trying to change the word 'Slavery' to 'Involuntary Relocation' in Texas history standards," she wrote in the caption of the video. "Sadly, there is some truth to that statement."

During the meeting, Davis asked about the proposed change. "I don't know if that's a fair representation of what we should be saying about that journey," Davis said during the meeting.

A member of the agency told Davis that the work group that came up with this language discussed "what would make sense to second graders" while also recognizing there are ideas that need to be addressed throughout kindergarten to eighth grade.

"They were looking at some trade books that exist and kind of talking about how you would explain to second graders that a lot of people got to this country in very different ways and for very different reasons – some of which were voluntary and some were not. I think the very best way to address that was what they were struggling with," the agency member said.

Davis said the work groups have been directed to have further discussions on appropriate language and terminology.

In an email to CBS News, board member Pat Hardy said what was presented at the meeting was "an initial draft of 2nd Grade Social Studies standards from a review committee that included a section titled: 'Enslaved Peoples in America'."

"While the proposed standards clearly described enslaved peoples in colonial times, the draft description 'involuntary relocation' for African peoples who were sold into slavery did not paint a clear or full picture," Hardy said. "As a result, the SBOE voted unanimously to send the language back to be reworked. This board is committed to the truth, which includes accurate descriptions of historical events."

"Our state's curriculum will not downplay the role of slavery in American history."
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 11:21:23 PM »

This is what the anti-CRT hysteria has wrought.

Are you happy, centrist Dems who helped push this crap under the guise of not being "woke"? Are you proud of the fact that the second largest state in the nation is now trying to pretend that slavery wasn't slavery?

And that is to say nothing of the fascist scum on the far right for whom this was the goal all along.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 12:49:44 AM »

This is what the anti-CRT hysteria has wrought.

Are you happy, centrist Dems who helped push this crap under the guise of not being "woke"? Are you proud of the fact that the second largest state in the nation is now trying to pretend that slavery wasn't slavery?

And that is to say nothing of the fascist scum on the far right for whom this was the goal all along.

Correlational fallacy, not a fan of centrist dems but any quick google search would show you that the State board of education has been building up a sorid reputation of revisionism that long predates the existence of any crt, this is merely the latest episode. And even if you assume that is the case, do you seriously expect people to selectively muzzle their conscience and not speak out about what they percieve as left wing revisionism because it might somehow snowball into something that helps the other side? This seems to operate under the assumption that officials who make controversial policy are entitled to automatic support or at least silence from their team despite their own personal reservations, rather than division being a risk they consented to when pushing a controversial policy through.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 02:12:19 AM »

This is what actual political correctness looks like
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 03:35:08 AM »

This is what actual political correctness looks like
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 03:58:11 AM »

I can't say I'm sure this thread title actually reflects what the TEA did here.
If they voted to get rid of all mentions of slavery and adopted the term "involuntary relocation" to replace it, this would be a massive scandal. But this? Looks rather dry if you ask me.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 04:44:47 AM »

If they voted to get rid of all mentions of slavery and adopted the term "involuntary relocation" to replace it, this would be a massive scandal. But this? Looks rather dry if you ask me.
Why the f**k is changing the term acceptable ANYWHERE? Slavery is slavery, this is deliberate revisionism meant to rewrite history over time. OSR is probably so happy.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 07:43:47 AM »

Why the f**k is changing the term acceptable ANYWHERE? Slavery is slavery, this is deliberate revisionism meant to rewrite history over time. OSR is probably so happy.
Someone in the agency came up with an idea, the elected Board of Education heard it, someone complained and their feelings were taken into account, it got rejected, and now they are going back to the drawing board.
No need to gather the pitchforks.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 07:57:04 AM »

Someone in the agency came up with an idea, the elected Board of Education heard it, someone complained and their feelings were taken into account, it got rejected, and now they are going back to the drawing board.

Imagine that! 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2022, 09:17:58 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2022, 07:18:56 PM by Person Man »

We at least know this nonsense is in the works. Lost Cause and Replacement Theory are bigger threats than CRT.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2022, 06:51:01 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2022, 06:59:39 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

Involuntary relocation life wasn't so bad! Plantation owners Agrarian job creators fed and sheltered them! Don't you wish your boss would do that for you?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2022, 06:53:12 PM »

The pitchforks should clearly be out for the incompetent/malicious idiot/villian who wanted to do this.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2022, 07:24:14 PM »

How do we know this isn't what the woksters themselves hath wrought?

"Involuntary relocation" is woke if the term encompasses teaching how African slaves were forcibly ripped away from their families/communities and then subjected to a several months-long voyage in absolutely lethal conditions.  Simply talking about chattel slavery as an economic system omits the humanity of American slavery.   
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2022, 08:21:23 PM »

"Involuntary relocation" is woke if the term encompasses teaching how African slaves were forcibly ripped away from their families/communities and then subjected to a several months-long voyage in absolutely lethal conditions.  Simply talking about chattel slavery as an economic system omits the humanity of American slavery.   

Sure thing dt. It totally isn't a way of soft pedaling the inhumanity of slavery by calling it, well, you know, slavery. Cool story bro!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2022, 08:40:42 PM »

Though another example why unelected bureaucrats should have less power
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2022, 08:44:32 PM »

Sure thing dt. It totally isn't a way of soft pedaling the inhumanity of slavery by calling it, well, you know, slavery. Cool story bro!

Bad faith argument or not, the past few years have seen numerous attempts to change traditional terminology for little reason other than the shadowy calculus of activists. Why would slavery be any different?
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2022, 12:18:59 AM »

There's a reason the Texas GOP is my least favorite state Republican Party
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2022, 09:25:59 AM »

I've been saying that the complaints over CRT were never actually about anything other than rewriting history. Even some Democrats on here fell for the lie that conservatives actually had legitimate concerns. This isn't a woke term, it fits with the logic conservatives have been pushing about feeling "uncomfortable" about hearing about racist history and that talking about slavery equals telling White children to hate themselves.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies