question about jewish republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:40:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  question about jewish republicans
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: question about jewish republicans  (Read 858 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2022, 09:58:09 PM »

I mean they are only two percent of the population and as a whole they go 70-30 democrat so jewish republicans are a statistically negligible number. But as far as influence goes, it's another story.

I'd always thought that jewish republicans tended to be moderate or liberal rockefeller republicans not unlike jacob javits. Historically that's always been the case. But maybe in the past two or three decades you've seen a subset of them that are super far right and are indistinguishable from your catholic or protestant religious right type. Think Josh Hammer, Dave Reaboi and even the Hollywood crowd (Breitbart, Prager, Milius, Miller).

Like what is going on here. Is this the influence of the chabad/rebbe movement which are more militant/far right?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 06:57:27 PM »

As a Jew, I wish I could offer you more insight, but most Jews I interact with are fairly similar to myself in terms of both political and religious ideology.

I can tell you this though, I believe the escalation of Islamist terrorism in the 2000's played a big role in many becoming much more reactionary.
satsuma
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -2.61

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 02:03:27 PM »

Some people, whatever their background, move to the right because they reject leftist ideas. Boring answer, I know, but most of these don't necessarily seem influenced by religious movements. The Hasidic community keeps to itself and is not the demographic within Judaism that's culturally influential.

And yeah you asked this question so we have to say, part of the answer is that Jewish people are very culturally influential in America on a per capita basis, whereas the masses of conservative Christians tend to less often become public intellectuals. This is a culture that loves books, debates, and college, is a huge fraction of stand-up comedians, and so on.

Some Jewish conservatives have been influenced by Jewish issues, though. Prager advocated for Jewish people unable to leave the Soviet Union, which seems to have led to a strong anti-communism. Yoram Hazony and Ben Shapiro are more on the Orthodox end and have these ideas about national sovereignty and religious conservatism coming from that.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 10:39:49 AM »

I mean they are only two percent of the population and as a whole they go 70-30 democrat so jewish republicans are a statistically negligible number. But as far as influence goes, it's another story.

I'd always thought that jewish republicans tended to be moderate or liberal rockefeller republicans not unlike jacob javits. Historically that's always been the case. But maybe in the past two or three decades you've seen a subset of them that are super far right and are indistinguishable from your catholic or protestant religious right type. Think Josh Hammer, Dave Reaboi and even the Hollywood crowd (Breitbart, Prager, Milius, Miller).

Like what is going on here. Is this the influence of the chabad/rebbe movement which are more militant/far right?

This was more specifically a NYC phenomenon. Some Jews didn't approve of or were excluded from the local Democratic Party's 20th century machine politics.

But in most parts the country apart from the South, the Republican Party was the party for "regular" Protestant people and the Democratic Party was implicitly for "other" people who were different in some way (Catholic, Jewish, "ethnic", etc).
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 12:30:58 AM »

This was more specifically a NYC phenomenon. Some Jews didn't approve of or were excluded from the local Democratic Party's 20th century machine politics.

But in most parts the country apart from the South, the Republican Party was the party for "regular" Protestant people and the Democratic Party was implicitly for "other" people who were different in some way (Catholic, Jewish, "ethnic", etc).

I’d also argue that even in New York Jewish liberal Republicans like Javitz were pretty rare. The Rockefeller Republicans were mostly WASPish and fairly well to do business oriented liberals but Jews, including Jews of the same economic strata and with identical views still tended to vote Democrat. It’s more likely in the postwar era that upwardly mobile suburban Catholics would have become Rockefeller Republicans actually.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 10:40:19 AM »

Today there's probably little difference in terms of how WASPs and Jews in Manhattan vote. 
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 01:42:41 PM »

Actually, according to this from Jonathan D. Sarna, a professor in American Jewish Studies at Brandeis, Republicans tended to enjoy majorities from Northern Jews (except possibly for Grant due to General Order No. 11) up until about 1912. This seems plausible; in 1916, Hughes still had pretty strong numbers among American Jews even though Wilson was obviously doing much better nationally than other Democrats that year. I would guess that these voters were more liberal than the modal Republican seeing as how they went strongly for FDR and Truman but I can't say for sure.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 06:34:54 PM »

Fun fact; unless there’s a Jewish republican who wins an open seat, the only one left in the house will be Kustoff of Tennessee
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies