Politics of black voters living in white communities
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:41:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Politics of black voters living in white communities
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Politics of black voters living in white communities  (Read 604 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 05, 2022, 08:19:40 PM »
« edited: July 06, 2022, 11:58:25 AM by ProgressiveModerate »

I honestly wasn’t sure what a better way to title this thread would be so sorry if it comes off the wrong way to anyone.

Anyways, I’m talking about black voters who live in predominantly white communities, make the same if not greater income to their white neighbors, and generally culturally aren’t affiliated with a black church or anything. Their social circle is not exclusively nor even predominantly black either.

There are quite a few of these folks running for Congress on the R side (Wesley Hunt, John James, Walt Blackman, ect) so it makes me wonder if this group leans to the right of black voters as a whole.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 03:40:16 AM »

I honestly wasn’t sure what a better way to title this thread would be so sorry if it comes off the wrong way to anyone.

Anyways, I’m talking about black voters who live in predominantly white communities, make the same if not greater income to their white neighbors, and generally culturally aren’t affiliated with a black church or anything. Their social circle is not exclusively nor even predominantly black either.

There are quite a few of these folks running for Congress on the R side (Wesley Hunt, John James, Walt Blackman, ect) so it makes me wonder if this group leans to the right of black voters as a whole.

There are probably three segments to the black vote.
The first is the group of the black vote that is black church, broadly older than overall (though they vary massively in age), and frequently remembers the Civil Rights movement.  These are very plugged into the establishment of the D party and vote D basically without exception.

The second is more disaffected, not at all connected into politics as much, and not as frequent of a voter. Likelier than the first to affiliate with new social activist causes, for better or worse (depends on your perspective). May go to the black church but they are relatively less shaped by it. Their politics are all over the place. Example of this kind of voter: IceCube, who had his 15 minutes of fame in the 2020 election with remarks about voting for the Democratic party.

The third and last one has a massive UMC competent. These include black conservatives, who are more educated than blacks in general (not to say they are any smarter or anything, just they are more likely to have degrees), but by no means is limited to just them. What distinguishes them is that their social circles are the most White/Asian in % terms and they are not as plugged into the "ethnic party ecosystem" that keeps most of the black vote behind the Democratic Party. Perhaps most of them live outside majority-black areas.

There is also some quite real overlap between these groups.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 09:33:51 AM »

Still D, albeit not as heavily as those living in heavily or homogenously Black areas

Also, could you maybe change the thread title to something like "politics of black voters who live outside of black communities" or even "politics of black voters who live in predominately white communities"? I know several people like this and they would certainly take offense to the notion that they're "whitewashed" in any way. A Black person can very well be rightly proud of their heritage and history but not speak in AAVE, attend a Black church, or live in a predominately Black area.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 04:37:40 PM »

In my experience, black people who attend majority-white evangelical churches are slightly Republican leaning.  That would probably mean that, once you factor in non-evangelicals, this population leans Democratic, but not nearly by as much as the overall black population.
JimJamUK
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 07:58:23 AM »

I haven’t got it to hand, but I’m pretty sure research has found that racial minorities who live in predominantly white areas are somewhat more Republican than their racial category as a whole/what their demography would predict.
Southern Reactionary Dem
SouthernReactionaryDem
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 02:27:24 PM »

Your title is fine. People need to grow up and quit being absolute wussies about everything.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 04:58:23 PM »

Your title is fine. People need to grow up and quit being absolute wussies about everything.

The former title referred to ‘whitewashed’ African Americans.
Southern Reactionary Dem
SouthernReactionaryDem
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2022, 05:32:12 PM »

The former title referred to ‘whitewashed’ African Americans.

Ahh I see. That is a little cringeworthy.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies