71% of Americans don’t want Biden to run again, 61% don’t want Trump to run again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:48:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  71% of Americans don’t want Biden to run again, 61% don’t want Trump to run again
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 71% of Americans don’t want Biden to run again, 61% don’t want Trump to run again  (Read 1323 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2022, 09:14:01 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3543867-71-percent-dont-want-biden-to-run-for-reelection-poll/

I’m kinda with them tbh. Give me Newsom or Polis vs. DeSantis or Youngkin. Something different with younger candidates would be a whole lot more interesting if nothing else. Probably better for the country too.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 09:32:50 PM »

Anyone remember how many didn't want Trump to run again in 2018/2019, Obama to run again in 2010/2011, or Clinton in`1994/1995, or Bush I in 1991/1992?
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 12:10:04 AM »

Makes sense, the Republican base is much more united around Trump than the dem base is around Biden.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 06:44:34 AM »

Too bad we don't live in a democracy.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 07:37:03 AM »

We need to abolish the presidential primaries.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 02:42:28 PM »

Here Here, this is for the best in our political system.
PoliticsWatcher1
Rookie
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 04:58:26 PM »

If it’s a Biden vs. Trump rematch, I am not voting for either candidate.
Heir of Camelot
heirofCamelot
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 05:34:30 PM »

When do we get Andy Beshear? 2028?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 09:10:32 PM »

Jared Polis would be interesting. First openly Gay President.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2022, 09:33:57 PM »

Jared Polis would be interesting. First openly Gay President.

I'm in a rush to see gay people treated with respect and for homophobia to die out - I'm just not in a rush to see a gay man take power...  I'm afraid it would backfire on the rest of the Rainbow community.

Black people's lives did not get any better under Barack Obama.  We've had more racial-based prejudices exploding in this country since he was elected, I shudder to think the kinds of homophobia that would be aroused if there was a gay president.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2022, 09:38:27 PM »

Political parties should be more ideologically coherent (so they can do what they promise) not less ideally, the problem is that the US has completely squeezed everyone into just two parties. A proportional electoral system for Congress and a preferential voting system based on a national popular vote for President would gradually break this down. After centuries of the duopoly, it would take time for people to get used to the new system but this would be a great change to make.

It would ultimately lead to more compromise. It is far more plausible for compromise to occur when the ideological differences are smaller than those between congressional Democrats and Republicans and not ever political incentive is urging them not to compromise.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2022, 07:58:03 AM »

Not surprised. I am a pretty big Biden defender and even I don't want him to run again.

The problem remains who the hell to run instead.
LBJer
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2022, 08:33:10 AM »

Not surprised. I am a pretty big Biden defender and even I don't want him to run again.

Hillary Clinton?  There's already talk of it.  Possibly a rerun of Nixon narrowly losing in 1960 and then winning (still relatively narrowly) in 1968.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2022, 09:40:43 AM »

Biden is the first president since H. W. Bush not to have any significant personal base. I doubt it would be all that much different if he were younger.

On the OP, I also quite like the idea of a Polis-DeSantis matchup.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2022, 01:24:22 PM »

yeah they both trash we need some ppl who aren't ancient up there for once
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2022, 03:17:11 PM »

Hillary Clinton?  There's already talk of it.  Possibly a rerun of Nixon narrowly losing in 1960 and then winning (still relatively narrowly) in 1968.

Hillary would be a worse candidate than Harris, and that's saying something.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2022, 04:42:32 PM »

Not from anyone remotely credible or serious.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2022, 09:16:20 PM »

Hillary Clinton?  There's already talk of it.  Possibly a rerun of Nixon narrowly losing in 1960 and then winning (still relatively narrowly) in 1968.

Not from anyone remotely credible or serious.

Yeah, and anybody who cites Chris Cilliza (one of the most prominent people, I think, who's discussed this theory) as a credible or serious source isn't credible or serious themselves.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2022, 09:42:24 AM »

and choose the nominees how?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2022, 10:06:05 AM »

A decent junk of folks on either side would still vote for Biden or Trump.

That said, I think neither of them running may be good for the country. I tend to agree with the OP, a Newsom vs. DeSantis race as battle of the big state govs would be interesting and may excite potential voters on both sides of the aisle.

Mr. Trump should be disqualified from running anyway, as the dude attempted to rig the last election and overthrow the govt.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2022, 10:17:24 AM »

Political parties should be more ideologically coherent (so they can do what they promise) not less ideally, the problem is that the US has completely squeezed everyone into just two parties. A proportional electoral system for Congress and a preferential voting system based on a national popular vote for President would gradually break this down. After centuries of the duopoly, it would take time for people to get used to the new system but this would be a great change to make.

It would ultimately lead to more compromise. It is far more plausible for compromise to occur when the ideological differences are smaller than those between congressional Democrats and Republicans and not ever political incentive is urging them not to compromise.

Terrible post.  More ideologically stringent parties are not a solution; power-showing between even more radicalized parties would turn the U.S. into a perpetually ungovernable mess like Italy.  The American/French system of weak, candidate-centered parties keeps our democracy adaptable and responsive to voters.

A two-party duopoly actually supports moderation and compromise, since it's to the electoral benefit of both parties to be as close to the median voter as possible.  If either party moves away from the center, then the other has a strictly dominant strategy to capture the middle and win a clear majority. 
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2022, 10:47:04 AM »

Terrible post.  More ideologically stringent parties are not a solution; power-showing between even more radicalized parties would turn the U.S. into a perpetually ungovernable mess like Italy.  The American/French system of weak, candidate-centered parties keeps our democracy adaptable and responsive to voters.

A two-party duopoly actually supports moderation and compromise, since it's to the electoral benefit of both parties to be as close to the median voter as possible.  If either party moves away from the center, then the other has a strictly dominant strategy to capture the middle and win a clear majority. 

Germany and Netherlands don't run into this mess like Italy.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2022, 12:52:35 AM »

Who said radical parties working together is less democratic than "muh centrism"?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies