Anybody on Atlas Ever Played Military Board Games?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:34:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Anybody on Atlas Ever Played Military Board Games?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Anybody on Atlas Ever Played Military Board Games?  (Read 664 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2022, 07:52:38 PM »

So not really thinking of the garden variety military board games, which are frequently more like "kids games" such as Risk and Battleship, but rather real military boardgames.

I'll start.... when I was around ~ (8 y.o) got my first military board games.

Avalon Hill Afrika Corps and Gettysburg (1st Edition)...

By the time I was around (10 y.o) was able to finally get my first copy of Avalon Hill's Squad Leader.

Needless to say, had purchased and played many other military board games by the time I was (17).

Throwing it out there, since although I recognize that vast majority of Atlas posters tend to skew a bit younger than myself, am still interested in military board games, and in fact am even expanding my collection, in addition to purchasing copies online of military board games I used to own back in my teenage years to rebuild my collection.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 07:54:37 PM »

I have a Stratego set.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 08:10:16 PM »

Doesn't count... kid's games rule.   Wink
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 08:11:40 PM »

Who said Stratego isn't a game for kids (though not just for them)?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 10:57:16 PM »

I would have if given any.

Just Battleship I think.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 11:03:37 PM »

Well, okay Tim although I personally consider Stratego more of a "kids game", it is still possible to use various artifacts and strategy in terms of initial allocation of resources to the various "fronts", defense of the "Flag".

Had many successful Stratego games where I used inventive strategies based upon hand written layouts, including a few really successful ones where I placed my flag directly on the front lines!

Still, my original post had more to do with "adult" military board games, which were a major part of the board game market in the '70s and '80s, despite some ferocious growth in market share from "role-playing games" starting in the '70s and '80s.

Was thinking more of Avalon Hill style military board games, including items such as Battle of the Bulge, 1776, Alexander the Great, etc...

https://publish.uwo.ca/~dmann/gaming.htm
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 02:14:55 AM »

Own:

Stratego (since I was 9 or 10 years old).
Risk (the 2008 "Revised Edition" or sometimes called "Reinvention").
Supremacy, The Game of Superpowers.
Broadside.
Conquest Of The Empire.
Axis and Allies (1981 edition).

Used to own: Battle-Cry.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 04:33:32 AM »

I've played a lot of Risk and Stratego, but no, sorry, I've never done the nerdy ones.

The nerd board game of choice in my neighborhood growing up was Strat-O-Matic baseball.  (D&D for baseball)

I did have friend in the Air Force that did the little military figurines that the super nerds use in some kind of game.  I never really understood what was going on there.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 08:00:05 AM »

Axis and Allies and a few other less complicated ones over the years.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2022, 08:52:11 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2022, 08:59:51 AM by Kawaii neko-chan »

Quite a few, some of my favorites.
Pax Britannica
Luftwaffe
Jutland
The Civil War: 1861-1865
Empires in Arms
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2022, 08:52:55 AM »

Yes, though I'm more into historical wargaming with miniatures: DBA and so on.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2022, 09:28:27 AM »

I vaguely recall in junior high school playing Gettsburg and Diplomacy. I enjoyed them more for the history lesson than anything else.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2022, 10:24:19 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2022, 10:29:11 AM by Brother Jonathan »

Axis and Allies and Diplomacy.

I find that space-centric games are now quite popular, often somewhat similar but with different mechanics, more of an economic emphasis, and set in the distant future. So I have played a lot more of those/played them more frequently than the sort of classic military board games just because my friends tend to prefer them.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2022, 12:55:56 PM »

Diplomacy
Axis & Allies
Risk

the basic ones
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2022, 02:38:41 PM »

Well, okay Tim although I personally consider Stratego more of a "kids game", it is still possible to use various artifacts and strategy in terms of initial allocation of resources to the various "fronts", defense of the "Flag".

Had many successful Stratego games where I used inventive strategies based upon hand written layouts, including a few really successful ones where I placed my flag directly on the front lines!

Still, my original post had more to do with "adult" military board games, which were a major part of the board game market in the '70s and '80s, despite some ferocious growth in market share from "role-playing games" starting in the '70s and '80s.

Was thinking more of Avalon Hill style military board games, including items such as Battle of the Bulge, 1776, Alexander the Great, etc...

I had a couple of the Avalon Hill games when I was younger, including squad leader and a baby's first war game level board game called tactics. Also had Dune which is an amazing board game.

The problem with playing them was of course finding another kid my age geeky enough and patient enough to want to play these. Almost impossible. Or if we didn't have literally hours upon hours to finish the game was recording where all the little cardboard cut out pieces were on a scrap of paper and then getting the game out again when it was time to play.

Fyi, playing risk on a map of the Dungeons & Dragons Campaign World Grayhawk is pretty cool.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2022, 02:40:52 PM »

I had a couple of the Avalon Hill games when I was younger, including squad leader and a baby's first war game level board game called tactics. Also had Dune which is an amazing board game.

The problem with playing them was of course finding another kid my age geeky enough and patient enough to want to play these. Almost impossible. Or if we didn't have literally hours upon hours to finish the game was recording where all the little cardboard cut out pieces were on a scrap of paper and then getting the game out again when it was time to play.

Fyi, playing risk on a map of the Dungeons & Dragons Campaign World Grayhawk is pretty cool.

Also played diplomacy a couple times, but I think it was on other friends game boards. Also a couple times played those large miniature war games on giant dioramas at gaming conventions, which should tell you exactly how much of a nerd I am.

But unfortunately, for the reasons I stated in my first paragraph, it's why computer games have completely overtaken the model.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2022, 08:09:44 AM »

But unfortunately, for the reasons I stated in my first paragraph, it's why computer games have completely overtaken the model.

You'd be surprised: the more traditional forms of wargaming are thriving, even as the computer game varieties have become so massive.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2022, 05:29:19 PM »

I’ve played Diplomacy a few times. I think I played Axis and Allies once; wouldn’t mind trying it again.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2022, 05:48:09 PM »

I'm basic, so just Risk and Stratego.

Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2022, 05:39:03 AM »
« Edited: July 04, 2022, 07:36:54 AM by Penn_Quaker_Girl »

Doesn't really count as a military game, but I'm a huge sucker for Catan.  
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2022, 10:47:51 AM »
« Edited: July 05, 2022, 12:41:14 AM by г-н Cмит »

This...and Battleship.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2022, 06:52:49 PM »

I would have if given any.

Just Battleship I think.

Bummer... you seem about the right generation (Since think you've maybe got +/- (10 years) on me.

Loved Battleship when I was young, and granted was not as interested in the Wars on the Pacific Theater (Grandpa fought in WW II on the Western Front), Australia and NZ naturally played a major role in the fight against Fascism, and pretty sure there are some classic computer board games, likely better than even modern computer games there.

Are you saying we need to crowd-source a military board game for you, despite the outrageous P&P to ship to Australia.   Wink
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2022, 10:00:59 PM »

Interestingly enough sounds like we have quite a few folks who have played Diplomacy, who did not participate in the last Atlas Diplomacy Tournament...

Muon2 declined to host this past year, since he was a bit busy with personal items and focusing on transitioning over the Atlas Annual Chess Tournament...

Back soon!  Smiley
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2022, 10:54:25 PM »

Only Diplomacy
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2022, 08:42:20 PM »

So nobody here ever played Squad Leader?   

Totally bummed out....    pretty sure it wouldn't be impossible to do a "vote by email" or Atlas PM type gig, since primarily you are looking at more like a (2) player game so long as both parties have the same maps and agree on the same rules...

Sad
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies