Harry Parker, A Humble Farmer from Missouri
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 11:01:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Harry Parker, A Humble Farmer from Missouri
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
Author Topic: Harry Parker, A Humble Farmer from Missouri  (Read 6680 times)
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2022, 11:20:20 AM »

I was writing something about Harry Parker's healthcare plan and my Internet connection went down.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2022, 01:44:44 PM »
« Edited: July 12, 2022, 05:21:39 PM by LeonelBrizola »

Harry Parker announces healthcare plan
March 12, 1979

US Senator and presidential candidate Harry Parker (R-Missouri) has announced his Administration's healthcare policy during a rally in Manchester, New Hampshire.

Parker gave a speech lasting for 34 minutes where he announced what his Administration's healthcare policy will be.

"As President, I will work across the aisle with Democrats to fix our healthcare system. Keep in mind I successfully proposed Medicaid expansion six years ago, and created a program which preceded Medicare as Governor of Missouri. My Administration will cut regulations on the healthcare industry while providing healthcare vouchers for those with a lower income and creating a $35,000 tax credit to offset the cost of private health insurance. Furthermore, healthcare providers will be required to properly compensate patients injured by medical malpractice, and sick leave will be extended to a maximum of three months"

Currently, healthcare ranks as a low priority among Republican voters. This is unlikely to substantially affect the race.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2022, 05:28:52 PM »

Harry Parker elaborates promise towards energy independence
March 14, 1979

US Senator and presidential candidate Harry Parker (R-Missouri) who has declared energy independence a "cornerstone" of his potential Administration's policies, has announced what his Administration is going to do on the matter.

"With gas prices soaring and one of our main allies gone, energy independence is needed more than ever. Making America self-sufficient in regards to oil will be a cornerstone of the Parker Administration's policies. As President, I will expand offshore drilling in the Alaska Wildlife Refuge, Carolinas and Gulf of Mexico, while eliminating price controls on oil and repealing Jimmy Carter's windfall profits tax. Keep in mind I authored the Fracking Act of 1975, which expanded hydraulic fracturing in the Dakotas and Pennsylvania. I will not take alternative energy off the table"

With an oil crisis caused by the Iranian Revolution, energy is one of the main voter priorities.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2022, 07:12:31 PM »

Harry Parker promises tax policy
March 16, 1979

US Senator and Republican presidential candidate Harry Parker has announced his Administration's policies in regards to taxes and government spending during a rally in Charlotte, South Carolina.

"As President, I will lower income and capital gains taxes for all American families paying taxes. For almost fifty years, taxes have been too high, hampering production in America – that's why jobs are beginning to go overseas. Small businesses as defined by the small business administration will receive a negative tax of 15%. However, my tax cuts won't be as dramatic as these of the Hollywood actor. Furthermore, the earned income and child tax credits are going to be expanded, while government spending will focus on education, transportation and healthcare, with useless programs and services being cut. I, a humble farmer from Missouri, am the only candidate standing for the American people"
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2022, 08:17:23 PM »

Harry Parker announces Administration foreign policy
March 18, 1979

Republican US Senator and presidential candidate Harry Parker has announced what his foreign policy will be as President during a speech in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

Parker attacked the Carter Administration's focus on human rights, and promised to stand for anti-communist governments, regardless of ideology.

"Our president's foreign policy focus on "human rights" instead of defending the free world from Communist aggression as we should do, is being disastrous for America, as shown by the extremist takeover of Iran. My Administration will go back to the Truman Doctrine: Every leader who is a friend of America and oopses communism can count on our support. American interests on business and diplomacy will determine our foreign policy" said the Senator for Missouri, to loud cheers from the audience.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2022, 05:58:25 AM »

Harry Parker promises constitutional amendment banning abortion
March 20, 1979

Republican US Senator and presidential candidate Harry Parker promised to ratify a constitutional amendment outlawing abortion nationwide during a speech in Sioux City, Iowa.

"Killing innocent humans is wrong, and abortion does just that to a baby. Liberals call abortion a "right", but it's not – due to violating the child's right to life. Roe is a fundamentally flawed decision with no bearing on our Constitution. Does the right to life, liberty and happiness not ring a bell? My Administration will ratify a constitutional amendment banning the procedure except in cases of rape, incest or threat to the mother's life"

Parker is viewed positively by evangelical voters according to the polls.

LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2022, 10:29:18 AM »

Harry Parker submits major healthcare reform bill
April 6, 1979

Republican US Senator and presidential candidate Harry Parker has just written a bill reforming America's healthcare system.

The legislation, titled "Healthcare Overhaul Act" was promoted by Parker as meant to increase access to healthcare and improve its quality without raising taxes or imposing cumbersome regulations.

The HOA: provides healthcare vouchers for Americans below the poverty line; cuts several regulations on the healthcare industry; creates a $35,000 tax credit for the purchase of healthcare; requires healthcare providers to properly compensate patients injured by medical malpractice; maintains the Medicaid expansion enacted in 1973; extends sick leave to a maximum of three months; doubles pay for nurses and hospital staff; and expands price controls on prescription drugs.

Pundits have noted this is much in line with Parker's promises on the presidential campaign trail. Some have praised him for being proactive, while others say it's a political ploy.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2022, 02:06:00 PM »

Healthcare Overhaul Act passes its committee
April 8, 1979

A health care reform bill named the Healthcare Overhaul Act, written by Senator Harry Parker (R-Missouri), has passed the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions by a margin of 7-5.

The HOA has been described as a moderate conservative legislation due to it focusing on policies such as vouchers and a tax credit, instead of creating new government programs.

The senators in the Committee who voted yes were:

- Barry Goldwater (R-AZ)
- Jacob Javits (R-NY)
- Harry F. Byrd Jr. (I-VA)
- Orrin Hatch (R-UT)
- Charles Mathias (R-MD)
- Richard Schweicker (R-PA)
- Harry Parker (R-MO)

The ones who voted against it were:

- Ted Kennedy (D-MA)
- Patrick Leahy (D-VT)
- Howard Metzenbaum (D-OH)
- Harold Hughes (D-IA)
- Gary Hart (D-CO)

The bill is going to be voted by the Senate on April 10.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2022, 03:33:39 PM »

Healthcare Overhaul Act fails to pass the US Senate by one vote
April 10, 1979

The Healthcare Overhaul Act (HOA), a bill by Senator Harry Parker (R-Missouri) reforming the United healthcare system, was voted by the Senate today. It failed to pass by one vote.

The HOA would create a tax credit of 35,000 dollars, to offset the cost of private health insurance, while deregulating the healthcare industry, extending sick leave, doubling pay for nurses and hospital staff, and providing healthcare vouchers for those with a lower income. Some think it was proposed to help Harry Parker's presidential campaign, being similar to one of his campaign promises.

Anyway, back to the Senate, 49 Senators voted against the HOA, with 48 opposing it (including the majority of Senate Democrats and Republican Jesse Helms).
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2022, 07:56:10 PM »

Harry Parker announces education policy
April 18, 1979

US Senator and Republican presidential candidate Harry Parker has just given a major speech in Rivier University, New Hampshire where he announced what his Administration's policy for education will be.

Parker said his education policy will focus on trade and charter schools, while expanding the number of school vouchers in circulation and raising pay for teachers. He said the Parker Administration would consider free school meals:

"My Administration's education policy will focus on trade schools to reduce unemployment, making them funded by the federal government, while passing a charter school bill to create a federal network of charter schools. Furthermore, we will give school vouchers directly to parents, so they can chose what school their kid attends, and double pay for public school teachers across the board. Every American child deserves an amazing school to attend. And last but not least, my Department of Education will not take free school meals for children, paid for by school districts off the table"
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2022, 09:30:50 PM »

Harry Parker gives speech at NAACP conference
April 25, 1979

Republican US Senator and presidential candidate Harry Parker (R-Missouri) has given a speech to a conference pf the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) held in Charlotte, North Carolina, about his plans to help the African-American community.

Parker mentioned his record as Governor of Missouri, and said his Administration will focus less on welfare and more on offering tax breaks for African-American owned businesses, to develop business initiative in the community. Furthermore, the Senator promised to make Martin Luther King's birthday a national holiday, and relentlessly fight drug trafficking.

"As Governor of Missouri, I banned racial discrimination on employment and education, while encouraging blacks to become registered voters. My Administration will put less emphasis on handouts and instead focus on providing tax breaks for black businesses, with the goal of creating a class of African-American businessmen. Furthermore, Martin Luther King's birthday will become a national holiday, and we are going to relentlessly fight drugs by targeting smugglers, growers and dealers."

The speech has received a mixed reception from the bladk community; some African-American leaders criticized him for attacking government aid.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2022, 11:50:27 AM »

Harry Parker campaign airs TV ads in Iowa, New Hampshire
May 4, 1979

The presidential campaign of Republican US Senator Harry Parker has produced two television ads, which are being aired in the early primary states of Iowa and New Hampshire.

In neighboring Iowa, the campaign is pushing an advertisement named "Accomplishments", which talks about Parker's achievements as Governor of Missouri and US Senator: Civil rights laws, healthcare reform, public works, trade schools, and a negative tax for small businesses. It then mentions how Parker called for a slow withdrawal from Vietnam, successfully proposed Medicaid expansion and that of fracking, and was one of the first Republicans to oppose Richard Nixon during the Watergate scandal. The narrator ends by asking if Ronald Reagan or anyone else could do the same thing.

In New Hampshire, the ad being aired is named "Parkercare" and begins by bringing up issues with America's healthcare system. Then, it describes Harry Parker's healthcare plan in detail, saying it would make healthcare more affordable and reduce the number of uninsured people without raising taxes or imposing cumbersome regulations.

The ads are truly helping Parker out in these two states.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2022, 02:02:53 PM »

Gallup poll for the 1980 Republican primaries
May 5, 1979

Fmr. Governor Ronald Reagan 26%
Fmr. President Gerald Ford 25%
Sen. Harry Parker 9%
Sen. Howard Baker 8%
Fmr. Secretary John Connally 7%

Harry Parker has gained momentum due to his popular policies and early campaigning, but will it be enough?
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2022, 03:02:42 PM »

Harry Parker holds televised town hall in Des Moines
May 7, 1979

Republican US Senator for Missouri and presidential candidate Harry Parker has held a town hall in downtown Des Moines, Iowa, taking questions from roughly 25 locals. It was televised by CBS.

Parker answered all questions calmly and speaking slowly. The topics ranged from gas prices to foreign policy and education.

This answer stuck out, when a woman asked the Senator about healthcare:

"Mr. Parker, my healthcare costs are rising. As President, what will you do to change that?

"In the Republican presidential field, I have the best track record when it comes to healthcare. Back when I was Governor of Missouri, I created a program offering health insurance to the elderly they could choose to purchase, years before Medicare was a thing. I was the Senator who wrote the Medicaid Expansion Act of 1973, signed into law by Richard Nixon. In 1976, I unsuccessfully pushed for healthcare vouchers, and a one month ago I wrote a healthcare bill that was voted down by the Senate. Donald Reagan or Howard Baker will do little to help your situation, but my Administration will do a lot"
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2022, 04:19:18 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2022, 04:46:54 PM by LeonelBrizola »

Harry Parker releases campaign logo
May 8, 1979

The presidential campaign of Republican US Senator for Missouri Harry Parker has released a campaign logo today.

The logo is transparent, and consists of the words "Parker '80" with the slogan "Real Change Now!" below them, in blue, red and blue (American flag colors) respectively. It has been slapped over the Parker campaign headquarters in Springfield, Missouri, and released for sale as a bumper sticker.

The logo has negatively been described by pundits as overly generic.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2022, 04:56:52 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2022, 05:06:57 PM by LeonelBrizola »

This is how Parker looks like
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2022, 06:16:34 PM »

Harry Parker announces crime policy during Charlotte, SC speech
May 15, 1979

Republican US Senator for Missouri and presidential candidate Harry Parker (R-Missouri) has given a speech in Charlotte, South Carolina outlining what his Administration's policy in regards to crime will be.

In the speech, Parker said his Administration will provide grants to city police departments to make them more effective, while targeting drug smugglers, growers and dealers, frequently using the death penalty, protecting gun rights, and imposing mandatory rehabilitation for minor crimes.

"My Administration will deal with criminality on a rational and pragmatic manner. Most importantly, we are going to provide a few billions in grants to city police departments to make them more effective. In many places, the police is underfunded. As to drugs, I don't think we should target users that much. We have to target the roots, so we are going to focus on punishing smuggling, growing and dealing, destroying plantations and illegal labs, while working with foreign governments to do the same, and punishing the latter by death. Speaking of capital punishment, the Parker Administration will use it for heinous crimes, while punishing light ones by mandatory rehabilitation. I will also fight for these when in Congress"

His speech has gotten some positive attention.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2022, 08:03:37 PM »

Harry Parker submits Energy Independence Act
May 20, 1979

Republican US Senator for Missouri and presidential candidate Harry Parker has submitted a bill titled the "Energy Independence Act" into the Senate.

The legislation, consistent with Parker's promises on the campaign trail, expands offshore drilling in the Alaska Wildlife Refuge, Carolinas and Gulf of Mexico, while increasing funding for nuclear energy, implementing a gasoline tax, and creating a tax credit for companies using renewable energy.

The Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources will hold hearings on the bill tomorrow
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2022, 08:43:34 AM »

Energy Independence Act hearings held by Senate Committee
May 21, 1979

The Energy Independence Act, a bill expanding offshore drilling and investment into nuclear energy while creating a gasoline tax and renewable energy tax credit, has passed the Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources by an 7-4 margin, after a heated hearing was held.

These Senators voted for the EIA:

Mike Gravel (D-Alaska)
Lloyd Bentsen (D-Texas)
Harry Parker (R-Missouri)
Strom Thurmond (R-South Carolina)
Fritz Hollings (D-South Carolina)
Barry Goldwater (R-Arizona)
David Boren (D-Oklahoma)

These senators voted against the EIA:

Alan Cranston (D-California)
Ted Kennedy (D-Massachusetts)
John Glenn (D-Ohio)
George Smathers (D-Florida)

It will be voted on three days.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2022, 12:03:49 PM »

Reagan compare and contrast ad produced by Parker campaign
May 22, 1979

The presidential campaign of Republican US Senator for Missouri Harry Parker has produced a compare and contrast ad aimed at former Governor of California Ronald Reagan, who is the frontrunner for the Republican nomination.

The radio and television advertisement is being broadcasted in Iowa, New Hampshire, Alaska, Arkansas, Puerto Rico (with Spanish subtitles), Vermont and Massachusetts.

The ad begins by praising him for his charisma and honesty, but contrasts Reagan's legalization of abortion, and gun control laws as Governor of California with Parker's record as a pro-lifer and supporter of the Second Amendment in the US Senate; Ronald Reagan's inferior government experience with Harry Parker having served in elected office since 1951 (Mayor of Springfield); Reagan's wealth as a Hollywood actor with Parker being a "humble farmer from Missouri": and Ronald Reagan's stereotypes of Americans relying on government aid. It mixes footage of Reagan with that of Parker.

Reagan has not commented on the advertisement, but his campaign spokesman called it "false on many respects"
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2022, 01:36:22 PM »

Energy Independence Act fails to pass US Senate
May 24, 1979

The Energy Independence Act, a bill expanding offshore drilling and investments in nuclear energy while repealing the windfall profits tax and price controls on oil and creating a renewable energy tax credit and gasoline tax, has been voted down by the US Senate by 50 nay and 48 aye votes.

Democrats and Republicans alike criticized the bill for its policies on offshore drilling and price controls and the inclusion of a gasoline tax, respectively.

The bill's original author, Senator Harry Parker (R-Missouri) defended it with an emotional speech on the Senate floor. "Throughout the decade, gas prices have soared, and America has became increasingly reliant on the oil of unstable Middle Eastern states. Our people are sick of this! Vote for this bill for your constituents' sake"

It was criticized by Senator Harry Byrd Jr (I-Virginia), who said a gasoline tax and offshore drilling were "unnecessary and dangerous" policies.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2022, 02:57:58 PM »

Harry Parker emphasizes accomplishments as Governor, Senator during Concord speech
May 28, 1979

Republican US Senator for Missouri and presidential candidate Harry Parker has given a speech today in Nashua, New Hampshire where he emphasized his record in the Senate and as Governor of Missouri in the 1960s.

In the speech, Parker mentioned policies such as civil rights laws, the creation of a program offering health insurance to retirees they could choose to purchase (it eventually merged with Medicare), public works including trade schools, rural electrification, and the creation of a negative tax for small businesses:

"As Governor of Missouri, I stood for all citizens of the Show-Me State, from the poorest farmer to the wealthiest businessman. My successful policies include a negative tax for small businesses, the creation of a public healthcare option for retirees, public works projects including 60 trade schools, the connection of 1,500 homes to electricity, a negative tax for our small businesses, and civil rights laws for African-American Missourians. I have a better political record than the majority of candidates in the race, including the frontrunner Reagan"

Parker then went to mention his service in the US Senate:

"After eight years of serving Missouri rather than myself, the Show-Me State elected me to the US Senate by a larger margin than Richard Nixon. In the Senate, I called for a gradual pullout from Vietnam, and opposed the bombing of Cambodia, while pushing for Medicaid expansion (successfully), a Department of Education, and middle-class tax cuts. I was one of the first Republicans to call out Richard Nixon during Watergate; and refused to endorse Gerald Ford or Jimmy Carter in 1976. Now, I have written two bills on energy independence and healthcare (my priorities), and they almost passed. As President, I will fight for YOU, not special interests"

Parker continues to raise in the polls, although Ronald Reagan is still the frontrunner.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2022, 05:41:12 PM »

Gallup poll fot the 1980 Republican primaries
June 1, 1979

Ronald Reagan 35%
Gerald Ford 27%
Harry Parker 10%
Howard Baker 9%
Others, John Connally 4%
John Anderson 0%
Bob Dole 0%

Gerald Ford has not confirmed whether he will run, but his numbers are slipping as Harry Parker rises in the polls.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2022, 06:58:33 PM »

Harry Parker promises aid to Afghan rebels during speech
June 8, 1979

Republican US Senator for Missouri and presidential candidate Harry Parker has given a speech in Spartanburg, SC where he addressed the "mujahideen" insurgency brewing in Afghanistan, and promised to aid the rebels through the CIA.

"Afghanistan has just gone communist, but the Afghanistan people – a very Islamic, conservative people – aren't liking it. They're rebelling against the commies. These rebels, I don't remember they name, deserve America's support. As President, I will put the CIA to work on helping these rebels with ol' weapons and money. They'll take their country back, aight?"

The Afghan embassy in the US has called his speech "somewhat concerning"
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2022, 08:24:34 PM »

Harry Parker says Administration will aid black businesses, make MLK's birthday national holiday
June 14, 1979

Republican US Senator for Missouri and presidential candidate Harry Parker has given a speech in North Charleston, South Carolina about his plans to help the black community.

In the speech, Parker mentioned the civil rights legislation he passed in the early 1960s, when he was Governor of Missouri, and said his Administration would create a program providing tax breaks for businesses owned by blacks, Hispanics and Native Americans.

"As Governor of Missouri, I banned racial discrimination on employment and education, while desegregating Missouri's schools. I marched with Martin Luther King during the March on Washington, and declared a day of mourning when he was assassinated. In the US Senate, I strongly supported Richard Nixon's programs to help black businesses, and will double down on these efforts as President, helping businesses owned by Hispanics and Native Americans as well. Furthermore, my Administration will make MLK's birthday a national holiday, and implement mandatory rehabilitation for minor crimes while fighting drug smugglers, growers and dealers. The Black Community has got my back throughout my entire business career"

According to an unofficial poll, Black voters prefer parker to Reagan almost two to one. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies