Harry Parker, A Humble Farmer from Missouri
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:53:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Harry Parker, A Humble Farmer from Missouri
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
Author Topic: Harry Parker, A Humble Farmer from Missouri  (Read 6258 times)
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2022, 09:26:39 AM »

Welfare Modernization Act passes the House
March 2, 1977

The Welfare Modernization Act, a bill reforming several welfare programs, has passed the House of Representatives by a 298-134 margin (four Representatives abstained).

The bill was supported by most Republicans and conservative Democrats, with most Americans approving of it.

Liberals on both parties voted against the WMA, saying it would hurt the poor.

The Welfare Modernization Act was sent to President Jimmy Carter's desk.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2022, 10:57:35 AM »

Jimmy Carter signs WMA into law
March 3, 1977

President Jimmy Carter has signed the Welfare Modernization Act this morning during a ceremony in the White House lawn, surrounded by First Lady Rosalyn Carter and the bill's author, Senator Harry Parker (R-Missouri)

The WMA reforms three welfare programs which had been mostly unchanged since the New Deal era, while expanding Pell grants and the earned income and child tax credits.

According to a Gallup poll, 48% of Americans support the bill, 42% oppose it and 10% are undecided.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2022, 03:10:43 PM »

I ran out of ideas  Cry
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2022, 04:50:40 PM »

Restarting this timeline by jumping to 1979, when Parker runs for President.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2022, 07:59:07 PM »

I somehow read this as Harry Potter
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2022, 09:35:04 PM »

Senator Harry Parker forms a presidential exploratory committee
November 1, 1978

US Senator Harry Parker (R-Missouri), a moderate Republican, has formed an exploratory committee to analyze a possible bid for the US Presidency during a press conference in his hometown of Springfield, Missouri.

"I don't know whether I can win the Presidency. But, even if I don't, the White House is worth a shot – with an humiliating President and a dysfunctional Congress, competent leadership is as needed as ever" he said.

Harry Parker is widely known as a moderate conservative with blue-collar bona fides, supporting welfare reform, tax cuts, a strong foreign policy and a constitutional amendment banning abortion, while successfully implementing Medicaid expansion and abstaining on the Humphrey-Hawkins Act. Parker is also a proponent of oil drilling in the Alaska Wildlife Refuge and gradually phasing out price controls on oil, which might appeal to voters amidst rising oil prices.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2022, 10:00:39 PM »

Understandable. Are you liking the timeline?
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2022, 10:12:45 PM »

It’s good but could be a bit better. Like, somehow a slightly more exciting tone?
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2022, 10:50:48 PM »

It’s good but could be a bit better. Like, somehow a slightly more exciting tone?
Define "exciting". Do you mean to get a greater dopamine rush on readers?
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2022, 10:55:41 PM »

Harry Parker schedules visits to Iowa, New Hampshire
November 8, 1978

Moderate Republican and US Senator Harry Parker (R-Missouri), who formed a  presidential exploratory committee one week ago, has scheduled two visits to the early primary states of Iowa and New Hampshire.

On November 14, Parker will speak at Des Moines University, giving a lecture about energy independence as the most important step to lower gas prices.

On November 18, Parker will visit Nashua, New Hampshire, discussing issues affecting the local populace and the "best" solutions to them.

The likelihood of a Harry Parker presidential candidacy continues to increase.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2022, 12:13:20 AM »

Something like that. I’m not trying to criticize, I’m trying to give advice. It needs slightly more basis in reality and more of a “hook” for readers.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2022, 08:15:14 AM »

Something like that. I’m not trying to criticize, I’m trying to give advice. It needs slightly more basis in reality and more of a “hook” for readers.
Thanks, I'll follow your advice.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2022, 09:21:18 AM »

Great timeline! I am liking reading about the background of Harry Parker and the evolution of his political career! The only things I would change would be to include more pictures like the county maps from his gubernatorial and Senate campaigns as well as some more background about his time as Missouri Governor from 1960-1968.

BTW, was Harry Parker a pro-civil rights guy as Governor, or more aligned with segregationist Republicans in office in the 60s like Strom Thurmond, James Martin, Prentiss Walker, and Albert Watson?
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2022, 09:41:24 AM »
« Edited: July 10, 2022, 09:44:51 AM by LeonelBrizola »

Parker strongly supported civil rights. He banned discrimination in employment and education through a Civil Rights Act, while creating programs to help black businesses.

And I am a mobile user, so I don't know how to send an image in Atlas.

Harry Parker also created a program offering health insurance for retirees they could choose to purchase, constructed 25 kilometers of intrastate highways, lowered the vehicle registration and property taxes, created a negative tax for small businesses, and vetoed all bills creating a state lottery. 65 trade schools were constructed in Missouri.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2022, 10:23:07 AM »

Harry Parker gives speech in Des Moines University about energy independence
November 14, 1978

US Senator and possible presidential candidate Harry Parker (R-Missouri), widely known as a moderate Republican, has given a speech in Des Moines University, Iowa about the steps needed for America to reach energy independence.

The speech was attended by 56 students from the university; Parker said the solution for rising gas prices was to expand offshore drilling in Alaska, the Carolinas and the Gulf of Mexico, while eliminating price controls on oil and expanding fracking in the Dakotas and Pennsylvania.

"Gas prices are rising due to the situation in Iran. This wouldn't happen if America was self-sufficient when it comes to energy. In the Senate, I am fighting for the expansion of offshore drilling in the Alaska Wildlife Refuge, Carolinas and Gulf of Mexico, the elimination of price controls on oil, and a heavy investment on fracking outside of populated areas, in the Dakotas and Pennsylvania"

Cheers and boos mixed in the university campus, but the speech has seen a positive reaction among the American people. Early polls for the Iowa Caucus show Parker catching up to Ronald Reagan.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2022, 11:51:03 AM »
« Edited: July 10, 2022, 12:47:41 PM by LeonelBrizola »

Harry Parker seen inside bus Keene, New Hampshire
November 16, 1978

US Senator Harry Parker (R-Missouri) has been spotted inside a bus driving through the streets of Keene, New Hampshire. He has a speech in Nashua scheduled to happen in two days.

Parker was wearing a suit and tie and black pants, writing on a note block. Passengers spotted writings about a "campaign strategy", with Iowa and South Carolina being mentioned.

This is yet another indication Harry Parker is running for president.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2022, 01:32:09 PM »

Harry Parker gives speech about stagflation, gas prices in downtown Nashua
November 18, 1978

US Senator Harry Parker (R-Missouri), a possible presidential candidate, has given a speech in the New Hampshire city of Nashua about issues affecting the American people: Stagflation throughout the decade and rising gas prices due to the Iranian uprising.

In the speech, Parker highlighted his record of standing for tax cuts, welfare reform and small businesses.

"As Governor and Senator, I have stood for Americans in general and Missourians in particular against the liberal elites who put themselves above the American people. I have fought for lower taxes, welfare programs actually helping the poor, and the power of small businesses rather than just corporations. I continue to do so, unlike many politicians, who put their interests above the people's"

He also echoed themes of energy independence from his November 14 speech in Des Moines University.

"The revolt in the Iranian Empire has caused gas prices to rise. The government must work towards energy independence to motivate this. Offshore drilling and fracking ought to be expanded"

A Harry Parker candidacy for President in 1980 is all but certain.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2022, 04:04:45 PM »

Harry Parker submits bill eliminating price controls on oil
November 21, 1978

US Senator Harry Parker (R-Missouri) has submitted legislation gradually repealing price controls on petroleum, completely doing so by 1983.

Parker, who is almost certainly going to run for President in 1980, has made energy policies a major focus of his activities; he has also called for offshore drilling in the Carolinas, Louisiana and Alaska to be expanded.

The bill will receive a hearing tomorrow.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2022, 05:49:34 PM »

Fair Energy Act fails to pass US Senate
November 26, 1978

The Fair Energy Act (FEA), a bill gradually phasing out price controls on crude oil, has failed to pass the US Senate by a 53-46 margin (one Senator, James Eastland of Mississippi, abstained).

A supporter of the legislation was Jesse Helms (R-North Carolina). "Price controls are always a bad idea, especially on commodities. I wish we could end them at once, but this cannot happen – so, this bill will ensure a fair economy" said the staunch conservative.

An opponent was another Carolinian, Fritz Hollings (D-South Carolina). He expressed opposition by saying: "Price controls on oil encourage domestic production and help lower gas prices. This bill is a retrocession when it comes to energy independence"
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2022, 06:53:08 PM »

Harry Parker hints at a run for President during Christmas address
December 25, 1978

US Senator Harry Parker (R-Missouri) has given a Christmas address to the American people from his home in Springfield, but it's not a normal Christmas address; Parker subtly indicated he'll run for President of the United States!

"I wish Americans everywhere a merry Christmas – the date where Our Lord was born is certainly worth celebrating. As to other news, I have already decided on whether I will apply to lead the strongest country in the world after 1981. And I will!"
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2022, 08:57:45 AM »

Harry Parker continues to "test the waters", schedules speech at Bob Jones University
January 5, 1979

US Senator Harry Parker (R-Missouri), who is certainly going to run for President of the United States next year, continues to "test the waters" for a campaign; Parker has scheduled a speech in South Carolina's Bob Jones University, set to happen on the 8th.

The speech's topic is not defined yet, but pundits have speculated it will talk about abortion, education or foreign policy.

Parker has the reputation of being a social conservative since his time as Governor of Missouri, when he vetoed two proposals for the creation of a state lottery.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2022, 11:09:48 AM »

Harry Parker gives a speech at Bob Jones University about his governorship, abortion, Iranian Revolution
January 8, 1979

US Senator and almost completely confirmed presidential candidate Harry Parker (R-Missouri) has given a speech at Bob Jones University where he criticized abortion and called for a "swift" response to the situation in Iran.

For 42 minutes, Parker spoke to 150 students in the BJU campus. He began by highlighting his stance for "American values" as Governor of Missouri and US Senator.

"As Governor of Missouri and US Senator, I stood for the people of Missouri, from the poorest farmer to the richest inhabitant of St. Louis, and defended American values – I vetoed all the legislature's bills to create a state lottery in the Show-Me State. Furthermore, racial discrimination in employment, housing and education was outlawed. I have a better track record than the majority of politicians" the Senator said to a cheering crowd.

Parker later went to speak against abortion and highlight his support for a constitutional amendment banning his procedure.

"Killing innocent humans is wrong, and that's what abortion does. It's insane how many people think they have the "right" to kill a child... Roe vs Wade is an unfair decision with no basis on the Constitution. We must continue fighting for a constitutional amendment banning abortion, except in cases of rape, incest or threat to the mother's life."

He ended the speech by talking about the revolution currently brewing in Iran, and lamenting the lack of support for the Iranian government.

"The Shah of Iran, one of our most trusted allies, is on his way out. The Carter Administration should have sold advanced riot control equipment to the Iranian police – but the President vetoed it. Mohammedan fanatics are taking over the strongest country in the region. Vote Republican in 1980 for a strong foreign policy!"

The speech has had a positive reception from the public.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2022, 01:12:12 PM »

Harry Parker begins tour of Midwestern states, focuses on trade schools and small businesses
January 16, 1979

US Senator Harry Parker (R-MO), who will almost certainly run for President next year, has begin a whistle stop tour of Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio.

He has scheduled a speech in Dubuque, Iowa about the importance of farm subsidies to January 20, and a speech in Cedar Rapids about protecting small businesses to after tomorrow.
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2022, 03:30:11 PM »

I'm skipping two months due to boredom.

After an one-month tour of the Midwest, Parker formally did what I planned from the start:

Harry Parker launches presidential campaign
March 8, 1979

US Senator Harry Parker (R-Missouri), widely considered to be a moderate conservative, has formally announced his candidacy for President of the United States at a rally in Springfield, Missouri.

In the rally, which 11,000 people attended, Parker gave a speech. At first, he focused on themes of optimism and patriotism; focusing on his record as Governor of Missouri:

"During my governorship, I fought for YOU, not the corrupt estabilishment that looks down on the common people. My record consists of: healthcare reform, civil rights laws, a negative tax for small businesses, public works, trade schools, and tax cuts. That's the future of the Republican Party and America at large"

He later went to his record as US Senator:

"Later, I was elected to the US Senate. In the Capitol, I  stood for lower taxes on middle-class Americans like YOU, a Department of Education to work with, not against the states on education policy, free medical care for those with a lower income, a slow withdrawal from Vietnam, and later, for corrupt Richard Nixon to resign. When oil prices soared, I became an advocate of energy independence through oil drilling and fracking - the focus of this campaign. As a Senator, I do not hesitate to work with those I disagree with if we have the same goal – hence, I was friends with everyone from Jesse Helms to Mike Gravel"

Parker went on to criticize the Carter Administration on ita foreign policy:

"I had some hope for Carter's presidency, but he really underperformed expectations. The President abandoned our allies by focusing on "human rights", gave out the Panama Canal to a borderline communist country, and lastly, has dealt with the Iranian Revolution on a completely incompetent manner. We cannot afford more four years of global humiliation"

Parker then mentioned his government plan, and subtly attacked Ronald Reagan's economic policies:

"As President, I will stand for American values while working across the aisle on policies all Americans can agree on. My Administration will lower taxes across the board; reform healthcare through malpractice reform, cutting regulations on the healthcare industry and a $35,000 tax credit; expand offshore drilling and eliminate price controls on oil while ending the windfall profits tax; impose sanctions on Iran; create a negative tax for small businesses; expand school vouchers while creating a national network of trade schools; reform Social Security without hurting seniors; implement a constitutional amendment to protect the unborn; and ratify a balanced budget amendment. My policies are common sense, unlike a candidate with a well-intentioned but unrealistic approach to economics"
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2022, 07:45:12 AM »

Harry Parker appoints campaign co-chairs
March 10, 1979

US Senator and presidential candidate Harry Parker (R-Missouri) has named two co-chairs for his campaign, all Midwestern Republicans.

The co-chairs are former Governor of Michigan and HUD Secretary George W. Romney, who accepted the invitation by saying: "Senator Parker has the right stances on most issues, has been one of my best friends since our governorships, and is a man of integrity, unlike many primary candidates"; and Representative for Iowa Charles Grassley, who introduced himself by stating during a press conference: "The Senator for Missouri stands for the American people, and is an honest man. This is what America needs"

Some have criticized the decision to appoint Romney, formerly known as an ineffective campaigner, and Grassley, a two term representative.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies