Biden Admistration Official: WE WANT A LIBERAL WORLD ORDER
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:28:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden Admistration Official: WE WANT A LIBERAL WORLD ORDER
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Biden Admistration Official: WE WANT A LIBERAL WORLD ORDER  (Read 1520 times)
MiddleRoad
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2022, 05:05:13 PM »

“What about the American families who can’t afford to pay high gas prices and who will have to standard of living for months, years on end, for a war we shouldn’t be involved in?

Biden administration: “F-k them”
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2022, 05:08:50 PM »

how pompous
lakeview
Rookie
United States
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2022, 05:15:53 PM »

You're already a party that launches vicious attacks on the "America First" wing of the opposing party -- including a Soviet-style show trial aimed at humiliating the former administration and its supporters -- and now you're telling Americans to suck on high gas prices for the good of something called the "Liberal World Order."

I hope you can at least begin to see that people who have arrived at the belief that Democrats are not putting the American people first have come by that belief mostly honestly.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2022, 05:20:07 PM »

Um, I agree by the way that something like "survival of the free world" would have been better in terms of political communication. That Deese person talks like he's holding a poli science seminar at college. Well, according to his Wikipedia bio he was indeed an academic until he started to work for the Clinton campaign back in '08. Figures.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2022, 05:22:10 PM »

BASED!
Mr. Matt
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2022, 05:24:11 PM »

Who?

Alternate response: Random progressive unverified Twitterer is more known.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2022, 06:31:42 PM »

I can't really blame the almost 80 year-old President for not being familiar with the context in which the term "world order" has taken. But of potential "world orders" a liberal one really shouldn't be so alarming to our pearl-clutching right wing posters in this thread. You do realize the word has a different connotation internationally, right? It's not like he said "Woke World Order."
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2022, 07:12:12 PM »

I'm guessing this was in context to a broader point about continued sanctions on Russia and restrictions on using their oil and not an argument about intentionally keeping gas prices inflated to help usher in an environmentalist "liberal world order"?

Either way, terribly phrased statement.
They are going to destroy the USA. They can have what they want but only over my dead body.

Seeing as that you're German, what would this have to do with you?
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2022, 07:28:10 PM »

And Pelosi and Biden want a strong Republican Party.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2022, 08:19:06 PM »

'Liberal' does not mean left-wing outside of the United States, this just means a world where basic human rights, democracy and state sovereignty are respected. So I'm absolutely supporting the liberal world order, are you not and rooting for Putin's tyranny instead?

Sure but in an American context liberal does mean left wing just like conservative means right wing . Keep in mind protectionist trade views were characterized as very liberal as late as 2015 here so that context is important.

Saying Democratic World Order probably would be better
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2022, 10:46:55 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2022, 11:41:36 PM by Pericles »

'Liberal' does not mean left-wing outside of the United States, this just means a world where basic human rights, democracy and state sovereignty are respected. So I'm absolutely supporting the liberal world order, are you not and rooting for Putin's tyranny instead?

Sure but in an American context liberal does mean left wing just like conservative means right wing . Keep in mind protectionist trade views were characterized as very liberal as late as 2015 here so that context is important.

Saying Democratic World Order probably would be better

At least 'liberal' isn't the actual name of the left-wing political party, I don't think this would help honestly.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2022, 11:47:29 PM »

“What about the American families who can’t afford to pay high gas prices and who will have to standard of living for months, years on end, for a war we shouldn’t be involved in?

Biden administration: “F-k them”

It is a war the US should be supporting, because some sacrifices are worth supporting to stop tyranny and enable people across the world to prosper in peaceful, democratic states. The great Conservative Prime Minister of the UK, Winston Churchill, did not say "The economy's taking a bit of a hit, let's surrender to Adolf Hitler, f**k everyone living in Europe." He knew he had to achieve "Victory, however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival" and people were happy to give "blood, sweat, toil and tears" for that.

Of course American soldiers aren't being killed, but this is because Biden is dealing with the problem early and so that costs far less than appeasing Putin and Xi even more.
ibagli
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2022, 08:23:55 AM »

This is like when Trump thought "western liberalism" meant San Francisco Democrats.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2022, 11:12:40 AM »

It's just locker room talk.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2022, 12:58:17 AM »

I'm not sure why the usual suspects are peeing their pants over "muh horrible messaging".

Why would this answer upset anyone who isn't a right-wing reactionary?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2022, 02:11:47 AM »

The issue isn't the liberal part it's the world order part
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2022, 02:58:43 AM »

World Order is the term to describe the accepted system of diplomacy. The Liberal World Order being the prevailing international consensus  post-Soviet era that legitimate regimes derive their power from the consent of the governed (hence why even autocracies kayfabe elections) and that territorial conquest by force is not accepted.

Which of those do you object to?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2022, 12:28:16 PM »

Is it?

Again, we're seeing right now what a lack of world order looks like. It's not pretty.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2022, 01:49:53 PM »

I'm not sure why the usual suspects are peeing their pants over "muh horrible messaging".

Because reactionary right-wingers continue to have sole domination of the narrative because Democrats are spineless cowards

Until they start fighting back, they need to be extremely careful about every word that comes out of their mouth in public
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2022, 02:02:02 PM »

Disagree.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2022, 02:02:53 PM »

Is it?

Again, we're seeing right now what a lack of world order looks like. It's not pretty.

For most people in the US, "world order" is a term most often associated with neo-Nazis and their like, so in that context it was terrible phrasing
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2022, 04:39:30 PM »

Because reactionary right-wingers continue to have sole domination of the narrative because Democrats are spineless cowards

Until they start fighting back, they need to be extremely careful about every word that comes out of their mouth in public

This is an example of fighting back. I'm not really sure what you want from them. You say "stop letting Republicans control the narrative", and then you complain when they push back against that narrative.

I get that you're one of the people for whom Democrats will always be making the wrong decision no matter what that decision is, but come on.

For most people in the US, "world order" is a term most often associated with neo-Nazis and their like

I do not agree with this either.
lakeview
Rookie
United States
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2022, 05:04:28 PM »

Yeah, everyone who raises an eyebrow when they're told to make yet another questionable sacrifice for a "world order," after living through two-plus years of being told to make massive sacrifices not explicitly for a "world order" but through messaging that suggested a high level of coordination across several countries and institutions, is a "right-wing reactionary."

Yeah, that's it.

Sure.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2022, 05:33:48 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2022, 05:37:05 PM by Hammy »

This is an example of fighting back. I'm not really sure what you want from them. You say "stop letting Republicans control the narrative", and then you complain when they push back against that narrative.

I get that you're one of the people for whom Democrats will always be making the wrong decision no matter what that decision is, but come on.

For most people in the US, "world order" is a term most often associated with neo-Nazis and their like

Simply saying things that fit with what Republicans say about them is literally the opposite of "fighting back". Politics is marketing, and Democrats are terrible at it. Simply speaking the truth does not work, because people don't care about the truth--they have to sell their policies. Giving this sort of vague, lazy, poorly worded response to a valid question is not controlling the narrative or selling their message.

Republicans gained control of the narrative by going on a nonstop, sustained campaign against Democrats, and (often through lies, such is politics) convincing Americans why the other side is horrible and will ruin their lives or is a threat to their way of life. Democrats need to start with the same, and expand from there. Saying things that mean nothing to the direct lives of most Americans--no matter how true they may be--isn't going to sell anything to voters.

I get that you're one of the people for whom Democrats will always be making the wrong decision no matter what that decision is

They ARE always making the wrong decision, because they are too lazy to be in campaign mode 24/7. When they stop doing or saying things that can easily be spun against them and go hard on the offensive, then and only then will they have made the correct decision.

For instance, Biden made the right decision in calling out the oil companies over the gas prices (something I think he needs to highlight more in order to establish the narrative, but it's certainly a good starting point for Democrats to campaign on)

It's a sad truth, but successful campaigning can only start by completely destroying the public's view of the other side.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2022, 05:45:15 PM »

Yeah. "New Order" = Nazis seems... deep in conspiracy-theory land. I'll grant that it probably is a phrase with a lot of negative connotation for those who are in conspiracy-theory-land, which is probably way too much of the GOP these days.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies