Will Brown v. Board of Education be overturned/CRA be ruled unconstitutional?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:46:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will Brown v. Board of Education be overturned/CRA be ruled unconstitutional?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Will Brown v. Board of Education be overturned/CRA be ruled unconstitutional?  (Read 1445 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2022, 12:32:57 PM »

Yeah Brown will be overruled and KBJ and Clarence Thomas are in mixed marriages, LOL, Separate but Equal wasn't in the Constitution it was enumerated by States rights Dixiecrats, Frederick M Vinson quotes Thomas Jefferson and Stanley F Reed and Thomas C Clark and sometimes Minton or Button we're the 4 Horsemen that affirmed Segregation, Vinson died and Warren replaced Vinson that's why Separate but Equal was ruled unconstitutional
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2022, 12:34:19 PM »

The slash in the title is doing a lot of work here.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2022, 07:52:08 AM »

https://www.al.com/educationlab/2022/07/alabama-schools-close-as-federal-judge-considers-fate-of-district-desegregation-plan.html

Where would a case to go to the supreme court even come from? From a situation like this.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2022, 08:03:48 AM »
« Edited: July 01, 2022, 08:07:44 AM by Person Man »

Should they do that, I will make sure my name goes down into the history books permanently

How?

Do you really want to know? I imagine that we will have to see, won’t we? We are approaching a great moment of inertia.
Back to the original question, realistically I would say there wouldn’t be a chance in hell but because we are at this bizarre social singularity, the rules are changing in unpredictable ways and neither the angels, or even the Son, but only the Father knows what things will look like when this time of tribulation has passed.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2022, 09:45:14 AM »

Unless I'm misreading the article, this case in question doesn't seem to involve schools that are still legally segregated, but instead the county is debating how to best consolidate the schools in an equitable way to comply with the generations-old court order. More likely is that a woke Coastal city would try to start a school or offer programs "for BIPOC students only" or something like that and it would be struck down in court... which would actually result in Brown being affirmed, not overturned. Plenty of other civil rights legislation and case law is at far graver risk.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2022, 10:05:52 AM »

Depending on how long this current Court lasts, it might be one of the few surviving decisions of the Warren Court. At this point, it's Order 66 on Warren Court decisions. There will be few survivors.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2022, 01:03:53 PM »

No, that case has nothing directly to do with Brown or "separate but equal". If any case arose it would fall under the case law established by multitudes of post-Brown cases over school integration.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2022, 01:25:51 PM »

You know, overturn Roe versus Wade was only supposed to be the hors d’oeuvre for overturning the Bob Jones case. That is probably going to be overturned.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2022, 02:24:10 PM »

You know, overturn Roe versus Wade was only supposed to be the hors d’oeuvre for overturning the Bob Jones case. That is probably going to be overturned.

No, they’ll use Bob Jones to ban affirmative action.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2022, 06:05:36 PM »

No, they’ll use Bob Jones to ban affirmative action.

They don’t need Bob Jones to ban affirmative action. Bob Jones was that there were was no religious liberty violated in private segregation. They can overrule that religious liberty takes precedence but that secular reasons for affirmative action violate the CRA.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2022, 08:29:57 PM »

Conservatives on SCOTUS believe any* government usage of race is unconstitutional so this isn't even a remotely possible position, and yes they have been consistent on this issue even when it would hurt the party that appointed them.

*atleast as you get more and more conservative. Kennedy for example was more left wing on this issue but still wanted to limit the usage of race. Thomas on the other hand is absolute on this issue.
Not really. Kennedy was more friendly to affirmative action in recent years.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2022, 08:35:40 PM »

Enough of it will be stripped away
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2022, 10:24:09 PM »

There's no chance that the court that upheld Biden's right to end the Remain-In-Mexico policy would overturn Brown.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2022, 04:21:59 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2022, 04:25:46 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Segregation and slavery wasn't a R goal Lincoln, Warren, FDR weren't Dixiecrats it was upheld by Jefferson, and Bryan Jennings Robert C Byrd Dixiecrats Vinson a Dixiecrat quoted Jefferson before he died states rights to keep Segregated schools and Warren took over, when Vinson died and Desegregation was allowed

Grover Cleveland a Dixiecrat appointed Melville Fuller that allowed Please v Ferguson and he ran with  Stevenson DAD

Thomas Jefferson was a Dixiecrat which are extinct, that's why he needs to be kicked off Rushmore and replaced with LBJ whom appointed Thurgood Marshall
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2022, 04:32:22 AM »

Maybe Runyon v. McCrary could be in danger if some demented private school was set up for only one race and decided to challenge. (As someone said earlier, whatever else you can say about Thomas etc they do dislike the government using explicit mentions of race in policymaking). Even there, where you could make the conservative ideological case about parental choice/rights of private institutions, the court aren't unaware of PR - they know the difference between a ruling on a hot button issue like abortion and making a ruling that would be seen as retrograde by 99 percent of the population and risks undermining their own credibility. These people, despite their mystical garb and apolitical shrouding, are politicians, and like all politicians they don't want to be too far out of the status quo.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2022, 02:02:36 AM »

By the way if I was a left winger I would be more worried about SCOTUS interpreting anti DEI lawsuits as part of the CRA and a hostile workplace.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2022, 07:03:35 AM »

We're gonna have 3 new Blk Senators with Barnes, Demings and Beasley, and we have a Blk female SCOTUS, and we already had Obama as Prez I seriously doubt Segregation will be allowed and ACB has a Haitian adopted child and she said in her confirmation that she won't go back to segregation

We already have Booker, Warnock and Harris do you know why Demings and Beasley are catching fire due to the public is softening it's criticism of Harris her Approvals are still low but they are improving that's why Beasley and Demings may win
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2022, 08:04:32 AM »
« Edited: July 04, 2022, 08:18:45 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

One more thing after Carter administration many DIXIECRATS became Rs under Reagan Revolution and since Clinton administration and Robert Byrd transformation DLC means center right D, but clearly Truman, LBJ, Carter and Clinton and Biden are DLC D's

As I previously, said after Cold War Dixiecrats became extinct, but clearly Jefferson is viewed differently by Blks and Latinos than History, some people and some on this forum say that they would be a D back then, but women weren't allowed to vote either by the same Dixiecrats, Teddy Roosevelt came to the table to allow Females to vote and then it was Wilson and Bryan Jennings, but the Dixiecrats didn't believe females didn't have the right to vote either like Blks or Native American turned Latinos

A Federalist back during Lincoln time was like Susan Collins R clearly Washington, Adams, Ben Franklin were compassionate conservative not Tories, it was only during Nixon that Rs became Tories because Civil Rights backlash among Whites during the Jay Edgar Hoover Administration, George Washington calls himself not a Tory but a Compassionate Conservative similarly to the English Whig party whom was opposed by the Conservatives, Federalist party opposed slavery and Madison and Jackson and Jefferson owned 300 slaves or more, and whipped, branded and beaten them and Kuta Kinte in roots foot was chopped off so he didn't run away again

Don't forget Nelson Rockefeller was a prominent R during the sixties and his Godson Jay Rockefeller became a Liberal D now SM Capito holds his seat, she has clearly moved to the right she was a pro choice R in the H, but has obstructed Biden policies after negotiations between her and Biden fell off during BBB she is responsible for Rs losing in Nov which they will
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2022, 08:36:29 AM »

By the way if I was a left winger I would be more worried about SCOTUS interpreting anti DEI lawsuits as part of the CRA and a hostile workplace.
I'm not, such a decision putting an end to DEI grift would be best both economically and in terms of political optics.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2022, 10:46:39 AM »

I'm not, such a decision putting an end to DEI grift would be best both economically and in terms of political optics.

Either way, it should be interesting because at this point in our society, the CRA if applied is probably more helpful to conservatives than liberals . When UBER decided to do that no extra fees for black owned businesses, Mark Brnovich used a local version of the CRA to force Uber to reverse course in Arizona for example. It is overall pretty weird how we haven't had too many lawsuits over this stuff.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2022, 01:47:46 PM »

I doubt they touch any of the segregation laws and cases. This is different from the abortion matter is more about privacy while Brown v Board and CRA are about basic human rights.

My biggest question is how a case relating to the CRA gets to the Supreme Court, to begin with. Most institutions would want to avoid a discrimination lawsuit and it will probably be settled by the lower courts. Even with the Colorado Bakery the Supreme Court barely did anything.   
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies