The White House: The Joseph Cao Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:35:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Author Topic: The White House: The Joseph Cao Administration  (Read 6398 times)
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2022, 11:28:33 AM »

Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 11:49:28 AM »

Inaugural Address

Nyman, D.C.

Mr. Chief Justice, Madam President, Mr. Vice President, Mr. GM, members of the Cabinet, Senators, Lincolners, Southerners, Frémonters, my fellow Atlasians. Thanks for making it.

I don’t know about you – at least those of you who haven’t been president yet – but for someone who joined two years ago, watching inaugurations past has always seemed very routine and unassuming, passing responsibility from one to the other without much actually changing in the grand scheme of things, and at the moment it feels much closer to a proper handover than anything else I’ve experienced so far. Some of it might be the observer effect. Some of it may come on a personal level from observing a certain other July 1 handover. A decent part of it might be the observation of an actual Federalist swearing in as president, which I am sure Wulfric among others isn’t likely to forget in a hurry.

Whatever it may be, this is an administration in broad brush devoted to many of the same principles that have guided past Presidents regardless of party. We need, above all, activity and an AFE and AFG that welcomes and if possible incentivizes participation from the common poster, and I can only promise my own full dedication to activity on the part of the Oval Office – I will be working, just as all of us here today need to be working, toward that same commitment to greater activity on everyone’s part. We are a nation in increasing need of commitment to security – on various international fronts, with regard to our food and everyday needs, on energy and environmental matters, on the economic front, in relation to the life and safety of every Atlasian in this nation.

We can, as this administration fully intends to do, carry out our collective commitment to securing activity and security without jeopardizing the stability of the nation; without the legalistic morass that its past enemies have held up as a boogeyman; and without abandoning the democratic principles that it inherited from two centuries of tinkering. We can have activity without being an active danger to ourselves or to others. We can have security in our nation without throwing away the friendships and strenths that have made Atlasia the greatest nation in the world.

I am going to make a fair number of decisions, and I can assure you here and now that every one of them will be made with you the players in mind, with the prospects for further activity, engagement, and development of both our in-game and metagame prospects. This administration needs to fix things and we will undoubtedly hear from you as we go about that task – it would be hard not to hear what the rest of this game has to say. But as a President in this time, in this unique situation, I am absolutely going to listen well. And I need you with me.

As far as speeches go, I’ve made my fair share – certainly the esteemed GM, among others, can attest to it – but this one has been a first for someone far more accustomed to delivering them from truck flatbeds in Iowa or in sharecroppers’ fields in Louisiana or in fluorescently lit community centers on the South Side. I may be up here now physically, but I want everyone present to know I still stand first and foremost with those places and the people who inhabit them, and I will not abandon them as president. We’ve gone too long without the regions realizing their full potential as part of a vision of governance not myopically focused in on Nyman. I will engage, and my administration will engage, and I call upon the regions to join me in the issues that lie ahead of us. We’re going to have a federalist and Federalist administration again.

We are going to take the people and the regions and a philosophy of restraint back to the table where they rightfully belong. We are going to have a game that people can enjoy playing again, a game fixed and capable of running on the inevitable frictions that arise between players at mutual odds without sparking fires that corrode its gears and shafts, a game that in time may even attract new players like the one that wandered into Fantasyland a little over two years ago and decided to run for a lowly regional by-election on a whim.

We are going to have fun again. And as your President, I invite all of you present here to join me in making that a Fantasyland reality.

Thank you, everyone, for listening. Dave bless you all, and Dave bless the Republic of Atlasia.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 12:44:25 PM »

Quote from: EO 57:01
EXECUTIVE ORDER
To aid in national reconciliation for a previous wrong

1. Pursuant to Executive Order 56:06, an NPC federal commission is hereby established in order to determine the extent of damages caused by former members of the federal government in relation to the unrest occurring in Kansas and surrounding regions during the months of March and April 2022.

2. The commission shall include at least one individual appointed by the Attorney General of Atlasia, at least one individual appointed by the Southern Attorney General, at least one individual appointed by the Attorney General of Frémont, and at least one individual each appointed by the respective state attorneys general of Kansas and any surrounding states reporting violence during the course of events described in section 1.

3. The findings of the commission shall be made available to the Game Moderator.

Joseph Cao, President of the Republic of Atlasia

The ongoing fallout in Kansas from the events of a couple of months previous is a priority that needs to be addressed swiftly. This executive order expands on one previously issued by President UNL and establishes an NPC commission to formally assess the extent of the damages as an in-universe complement to the findings provided by the GM to date.

Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 01:11:51 PM »

I know presidential signatures for overridden bills aren't normally done, but we have had all of two or three successful veto overrides in post-reset history and the relevant precedent is being set as we speak anyway. Plus I want to indulge the narcissist part of my brain just a bit. Tongue

Signing statement

Don't think much needs to be said about this that hasn't been said already. We as elected officials have a vested interest in protecting hardworking Atlasians from interest rates that place an undue burden on their financial health. This bill returns a modicum of control over multiregional banks' interest rates to the regions, who are and have been best placed to pass bills that better reflect their constituents' needs. It is a properly Federalist bill and a bill that helps the Atlasian people and I'm proud to sign it.

Quote from: Utah Neolib
Madam President, the following bill has passed the Senate and awaits your signature or veto:

ANDREW JACKSON MEMORIAL BANK-KILLING ACT

1. Section 85 of the National Banking Act (NBA) 12 USC §85, which permits federally charter banks to charge interest rates in States and Regions in excess of State or Regional interest rate caps, is hereby repealed. This Act shall take effect sixty (60) days after being ratified.

Passed 11-2-1-3 in the Atlasian Senate assembled,

Joseph Cao, president pro tempore
Veto.

Veto overridden 12-3-0-2 in the Atlasian Senate assembled,

Joseph Cao, president pro tempore

Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 01:39:56 AM »

Quote from: EO 57:02
EXECUTIVE ORDER
To provide continuity in the NSC

1. West_Midlander is hereby appointed to the National Security Council.

I have vacated the seat on the NSC which I’ve held since November, and to maintain its composition I am formally appointing Senator West_Midlander to replace me. This also helps to ensure we continue to have a smoothly operating NSC going forward as we unravel the crises happening around the world.

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 03:43:02 PM »

I have been waiting for President Cao, since 2020. I am glad this day finally came.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 12:05:01 AM »

Quote from: EO 57:03
EXECUTIVE ORDER
To make provisions for the diligent and constructive conduct of foreign affairs

1. Scott, of the state of Wyoming, is hereby nominated to be Secretary of State.

Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 11:58:54 PM »

The White House released the following statement in response to the passage of S.22.2-75 by the Southern Region:

Not happening, bud.

###

Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2022, 09:48:08 PM »
« Edited: July 26, 2022, 05:03:24 PM by PPT Spark »

ATF OFF ACT

Senate Bill
to make sensible criminal justice reforms

SECTION I: NAME

a. This act shall be called the ATF Off Act.

SECTION II: CIVIL PENALTIES FOR VIOLATIONS BY FFL HOLDERS

a. 18 USC 923 is hereby amended by inserting the following:
e. If the Attorney General determines that a federal firearms licensee under this section has willfully violated any provision of this chapter or any regulation prescribed under this chapter, the Attorney General may:

1. if the violation is of a minor nature:

A. Impose on the licensee a civil money penalty of not more than $1,000 for each such violation, except that the total amount of penalties imposed on a licensee under this subclause for violations arising from a single inspection or examination shall not exceed $5,000; or

B. suspend the license for not more than 30 days, and specify the circumstances under which the suspension is to be terminated, if, in the period for which the license is in effect, there have been at least 2 prior occasions on which the licensee has been determined to have violated this chapter; or

2. if the violation is of a serious nature:

A. Impose on the licensee a civil money penalty of not more than $2,500 for each such violation, except that the total amount of penalties imposed on a licensee under this subclause for a violations arising from a single inspection or examination shall not exceed $15,000;

B. Suspend the license for not more than 90 days, and specify the circumstances under which the suspension is to be terminated;

C. Revoke the license;

b. In determining the amount of a civil money penalty to impose herein on a licensee, the nature and severity of the violation involved, the size of the firearms business operated by the licensee, and the prior record of the licensee shall be considered.

c. The total amount of penalties imposed on a licensee with respect to violations of a minor nature and of a serious nature arising from a single inspection or examination shall not exceed $15,000.

d. If two (2) or more firearms were transferred during a single transaction that shall be considered a single violation of the provision.

e. On request of the licensee, the Attorney General shall stay the effective date of any penalty, suspension, or revocation until there has been a final, nonreviewable judgment with respect to the determination involved, unless, in the case of a suspension or revocation of a licensee, the Attorney General establishes, at a hearing before an administrative law judge, by clear and convincing evidence, that the continued operation by the licensee of the business poses an immediate and grave threat to public safety.

f. If the Attorney General is made aware that a business licensed under this chapter has transferred to a surviving spouse or child of the licensee, to an executor, administrator, or other legal representative of a deceased licensee; or to a receiver or trustee in bankruptcy, or an assignee for benefit of creditors, and, before the transfer, or on the first inspection or examination by the Attorney General of the records of the licensee after the transfer, the licensee is found to be operating the business in violation of this chapter, the Attorney General:

1. shall notify the transferee of the violation by the transferor; and

2. shall not presume that the transferee is committing the violation.

SECTION III: DEFINITIONS

a. A violation of this chapter shall be considered to be of a serious nature if the violation:

1. results in or could have resulted in the transfer of a firearm or ammunition to a person prohibited from possessing or receiving the firearm or ammunition under this chapter or under Regional, State or local law;

2. obstructs or could have obstructed a bona fide criminal investigation or prosecution, or an inspection or examination under this chapter

b. A violation of this chapter shall be considered to be of a minor nature if the violation is not of a serious nature.

c. Willfully means, with respect to conduct of a person, that the person knew of a legal duty, and engaged in the conduct knowingly and in intentional disregard of the duty.

d. False entry shall mean materially false entry

e. Appropriate entry shall mean a materially significant entry

f. Properly maintain shall mean retain custody of.

SECTION IV: EQUAL RIGHTS AND EQUAL TREATMENT

a. The prohibition on FFL holders selling a handgun to persons under the age of 21 shall be lowered to 19. 18 U.S.C. 922(b) shall be amended accordingly.

b. The National Firearms Act (NFA) 26 USC §5801 - 5872 is hereby repealed.

SECTION V: TIME

a. This Act shall take effect at the end of the 180-day period that begins with the date of the enactment of this Act.

Mr. President, this bill passed 8-6-4 in the Atlasian Senate assembled. It awaits your signature or veto.

Spark, President pro tempore of the Republic of Atlasia
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2022, 11:16:36 PM »

Signing statement

This bill makes reasonable changes to existing licensing law that will enable the relevant agencies to devote more resources to serious violations of the law. I support this effort to help our federal government do its job better.

ATF OFF ACT

Senate Bill
to make sensible criminal justice reforms

a. This act shall be called the ATF Off Act.

SECTION II: CIVIL PENALTIES FOR VIOLATIONS BY FFL HOLDERS

a. 18 USC 923 is hereby amended by inserting the following:
e. If the Attorney General determines that a federal firearms licensee under this section has willfully violated any provision of this chapter or any regulation prescribed under this chapter, the Attorney General may:

1. if the violation is of a minor nature:

A. Impose on the licensee a civil money penalty of not more than $1,000 for each such violation, except that the total amount of penalties imposed on a licensee under this subclause for violations arising from a single inspection or examination shall not exceed $5,000; or

B. suspend the license for not more than 30 days, and specify the circumstances under which the suspension is to be terminated, if, in the period for which the license is in effect, there have been at least 2 prior occasions on which the licensee has been determined to have violated this chapter; or

2. if the violation is of a serious nature:

A. Impose on the licensee a civil money penalty of not more than $2,500 for each such violation, except that the total amount of penalties imposed on a licensee under this subclause for a violations arising from a single inspection or examination shall not exceed $15,000;

B. Suspend the license for not more than 90 days, and specify the circumstances under which the suspension is to be terminated;

C. Revoke the license;

b. In determining the amount of a civil money penalty to impose herein on a licensee, the nature and severity of the violation involved, the size of the firearms business operated by the licensee, and the prior record of the licensee shall be considered.

c. The total amount of penalties imposed on a licensee with respect to violations of a minor nature and of a serious nature arising from a single inspection or examination shall not exceed $15,000.

d. If two (2) or more firearms were transferred during a single transaction that shall be considered a single violation of the provision.

e. On request of the licensee, the Attorney General shall stay the effective date of any penalty, suspension, or revocation until there has been a final, nonreviewable judgment with respect to the determination involved, unless, in the case of a suspension or revocation of a licensee, the Attorney General establishes, at a hearing before an administrative law judge, by clear and convincing evidence, that the continued operation by the licensee of the business poses an immediate and grave threat to public safety.

f. If the Attorney General is made aware that a business licensed under this chapter has transferred to a surviving spouse or child of the licensee, to an executor, administrator, or other legal representative of a deceased licensee; or to a receiver or trustee in bankruptcy, or an assignee for benefit of creditors, and, before the transfer, or on the first inspection or examination by the Attorney General of the records of the licensee after the transfer, the licensee is found to be operating the business in violation of this chapter, the Attorney General:

1. shall notify the transferee of the violation by the transferor; and

2. shall not presume that the transferee is committing the violation.

SECTION III: DEFINITIONS

a. A violation of this chapter shall be considered to be of a serious nature if the violation:

1. results in or could have resulted in the transfer of a firearm or ammunition to a person prohibited from possessing or receiving the firearm or ammunition under this chapter or under Regional, State or local law;

2. obstructs or could have obstructed a bona fide criminal investigation or prosecution, or an inspection or examination under this chapter

b. A violation of this chapter shall be considered to be of a minor nature if the violation is not of a serious nature.

c. Willfully means, with respect to conduct of a person, that the person knew of a legal duty, and engaged in the conduct knowingly and in intentional disregard of the duty.

d. False entry shall mean materially false entry

e. Appropriate entry shall mean a materially significant entry

f. Properly maintain shall mean retain custody of.

SECTION IV: EQUAL RIGHTS AND EQUAL TREATMENT

a. The prohibition on FFL holders selling a handgun to persons under the age of 21 shall be lowered to 19. 18 U.S.C. 922(b) shall be amended accordingly.

b. The National Firearms Act (NFA) 26 USC §5801 - 5872 is hereby repealed.

SECTION V: TIME

a. This Act shall take effect at the end of the 180-day period that begins with the date of the enactment of this Act.

Passed 8-6-4 in the Atlasian Senate assembled,

Spark, PPT

Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2022, 05:09:15 PM »

FIGHTING SINO-ESPIONAGE ACT

Senate Bill
to fight Chinese Espionage

TITLE I: CONFUCIUS INSTITUTES

A. In this act, the term “Confucius Institute” means a cultural institute directly or indirectly funded by the Government of the People’s Republic of China.

B. An institution of higher education or other postsecondary educational institution (an “institution”) shall not be eligible to receive any federal funds unless the institution ensures that any contract or agreement between the institution and a Confucius Institute includes clear provisions that:

1. protect academic freedom at the institution;

2. prohibit the application of any foreign law on any campus of the institution;

3. grant full managerial authority of the Confucius Institute to the institution, including full control over what is being taught, the activities carried out, the research grants that are made, and who is employed at the Confucius Institute; and

4. prohibit discrimination against religious persons, including but not limited to Christians, Muslims, and Falun Gong.

C. This title shall take effect January 1, 2023.

TITLE II: CHINESE SPYWARE

A. The term “covered application” means the social networking service TikTok or any successor application or service developed or provided by ByteDance Limited or an entity owned by ByteDance Limited;

B. The term “information technology” means any equipment or interconnected system or subsystem of equipment, used in the automatic acquisition, storage, analysis, evaluation, manipulation, management, movement, control, display, switching, interchange, transmission, or reception of data or information by a federal office, bureau, agency, or other entity, if the equipment is used by such federal entity directly or is used by a contractor under a contract with the federal entity that requires the use of that equipment or of that equipment to a significant extent in the performance of a service or the furnishing of a product; this term includes computers, ancillary equipment (including imaging peripherals, input, output, and storage devices necessary for security and surveillance), peripheral equipment designed to be controlled by the central processing unit of a computer, software, firmware and similar procedures, services (including support services), and related resources; but does not include any equipment acquired by a government contractor incidental to a public contract.

C. Not later than fifteen (15) days after the date of the enactment of this Act, any covered application shall be prohibited from being downloaded on any federal information technology and any such information technology already containing a covered application shall be removed.

Mr. President, this bill passed 12-0-0 in the Atlasian Senate assembled and awaits your signature or veto.

x Spark, President pro tempore of the Republic of Atlasia
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2022, 12:55:36 AM »

Signing statement

Students from all over the world come to Atlasian universities to experience and benefit from the academic opportunities that we help to provide, and our universities have every right to protect their students' fundamental freedoms from discrimination and harrassment from being infringed upon. Atlasians likewise have a right to a funny dancing app that does not hand their personal data over to foreign agents. I thank the Senate for standing firmly in support of this commonsense bill that promotes our universities and safeguards our citizens.

FIGHTING SINO-ESPIONAGE ACT

Senate Bill
to fight Chinese Espionage

TITLE I: CONFUCIUS INSTITUTES

A. In this act, the term “Confucius Institute” means a cultural institute directly or indirectly funded by the Government of the People’s Republic of China.

B. An institution of higher education or other postsecondary educational institution (an “institution”) shall not be eligible to receive any federal funds unless the institution ensures that any contract or agreement between the institution and a Confucius Institute includes clear provisions that:

1. protect academic freedom at the institution;

2. prohibit the application of any foreign law on any campus of the institution;

3. grant full managerial authority of the Confucius Institute to the institution, including full control over what is being taught, the activities carried out, the research grants that are made, and who is employed at the Confucius Institute; and

4. prohibit discrimination against religious persons, including but not limited to Christians, Muslims, and Falun Gong.

C. This title shall take effect January 1, 2023.

TITLE II: CHINESE SPYWARE

A. The term “covered application” means the social networking service TikTok or any successor application or service developed or provided by ByteDance Limited or an entity owned by ByteDance Limited;

B. The term “information technology” means any equipment or interconnected system or subsystem of equipment, used in the automatic acquisition, storage, analysis, evaluation, manipulation, management, movement, control, display, switching, interchange, transmission, or reception of data or information by a federal office, bureau, agency, or other entity, if the equipment is used by such federal entity directly or is used by a contractor under a contract with the federal entity that requires the use of that equipment or of that equipment to a significant extent in the performance of a service or the furnishing of a product; this term includes computers, ancillary equipment (including imaging peripherals, input, output, and storage devices necessary for security and surveillance), peripheral equipment designed to be controlled by the central processing unit of a computer, software, firmware and similar procedures, services (including support services), and related resources; but does not include any equipment acquired by a government contractor incidental to a public contract.

C. Not later than fifteen (15) days after the date of the enactment of this Act, any covered application shall be prohibited from being downloaded on any federal information technology and any such information technology already containing a covered application shall be removed.

D. The Senate of Atlasia encourages American businesses and entrepreneurs to create an app that is a replica of TikTok or to buy the rights to Atlasian data on Tiktok.

Passed 12-0-0 in the Atlasian Senate assembled,

Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2022, 07:41:46 PM »

SOCIAL MEDIA REFORM ACT

Senate Bill
to ensure big social media companies cannot unfairly deplatform, censor, shadowban, or otherwise harm lawful user content

TITLE I: FINDINGS

The government of Atlasia finds that:

1. Social media platforms represent an extraordinary advance in communication technology for southerners.

2. Users should be afforded control over their personal information related to social media platforms.

3. Atlasians increasingly rely on social media platforms to express their opinions and communicate with friends, their communities, and the nation at large.

4. Social media platforms have transformed into the new public town square.

5. Social media platforms have become as important for conveying public opinion as public utilities are for supporting modern society.

6. Social media platforms hold a unique place in preserving free speech protections for all Atlasians and should be treated similarly to common carriers.

7. Social media platforms that unfairly censor, shadow ban, deplatform, or apply post-prioritization algorithms to Atlasian candidates, users, or residents are not acting in good faith and are abusing their big corporate power to the detriment of free expression and an open society.

8. Social media platforms should not take any action in bad faith to restrict access or availability to Atlasians.

9. Social media platforms have unfairly censored, shadow banned, deplatformed, and applied post-prioritization algorithms in the Atlasia.

10. The government of Atlasia has a substantial interest in protecting its residents from inconsistent and unfair actions by inordinately powerful social media platforms.

11. The nation must vigorously enforce its laws to protect the people of Atlasia.

TITLE II: DEFINITIONS

1. As used in this act, the term:

“Algorithm” means a mathematical set of rules that specifies how a group of data behaves and that will assist in ranking search results and maintaining order or that is used in sorting or ranking content or material based on relevancy or other factors instead of using published time or chronological order of such content or material.

“Affiliate” means: A predecessor or successor of a person convicted of or held civilly liable for an antitrust violation; or an entity under the control of any natural person who is active in the management of the entity that has been convicted of or held civilly liable for an antitrust violation. The term includes those officers, directors, executives, partners, shareholders, employees, members, and agents who are active in the management of an affiliate. The term also includes a person who knowingly enters into a joint venture with a person who has violated an antitrust law during the preceding fourty-eight (48) months.

“Antitrust violation” means any failure to comply with a federal or Regional antitrust law as determined in a civil or criminal proceeding brought by the Attorney General, a Regional attorney, a similar body or agency of another Region, the Federal Trade Commission, or the Atlasian Department of Justice.

“Antitrust violator vendor list” means the list required to be kept by the Department of Justice pursuant to this act.

“Censor” includes any action taken by a social media platform to delete, regulate, restrict, edit, alter, inhibit the publication or republication of, suspend a right to post, remove, or post an addendum to any content or material posted by a user. The term also includes actions to inhibit the ability of a user to be viewable by or to interact with another user of the social media platform.

“Deplatform” means the action or practice by a social media platform to permanently delete or ban a user or to temporarily delete or ban a user from the social media platform for more than fourteen (14) days.

“Journalistic enterprise” means an entity doing business in Atlasia that: 1. Publishes in excess of 10,000 words available online with at least 500 paid subscribers or 10,000 monthly active users; 2. Publishes 50 hours of audio or video available online with at least 1 million viewers annually; 3. Operates a cable channel that provides more than 40 hours of content per week to more than 10,000 cable television subscribers; or 4. Operates under a broadcast license issued by the Federal Communications Commission.

“Post-prioritization” means action by a social media platform to place, feature, or prioritize certain content or material ahead of, below, or in a more or less prominent position than others in a newsfeed, a feed, a view, or in search results. The term does not include post-prioritization of content and material of a third party, including other users, based on payments by that third party, to the social media platform.

“Shadow ban” means action by a social media platform, through any means, whether the action is determined by a natural person or an algorithm, to limit or eliminate the exposure of a user or content or material posted by a user to other users of the social media platform. This term includes acts of shadow banning by a social media platform which are not readily apparent to a user.

“Social media platform” means any information service, system, Internet search engine, or access software provider that: 1. Provides or enables computer access by multiple users to a computer server, including an Internet platform or a social media site; 2. Operates as a sole proprietorship, partnership, limited liability company, corporation, association, or other legal entity; 3. Does business in Atlasia; and either has annual gross revenues in excess of $10 million at least 1 million monthly individual platform participants globally.

“User” means a person who resides or is domiciled in Atlasian and who has an account on a social media platform, regardless of whether the person posts or has posted content, video, or other material to the social media platform.

TITLE III: POLITICAL CANDIDATES

1. A social media platform may not willfully deplatform a candidate for public office who is known by the social media platform to be a candidate, beginning on the date of qualification and ending on the day after the election or the date the candidate ceases to be a candidate. A social media platform must provide each user a method by which the user may be identified as a qualified candidate and which provides sufficient information to allow the social media platform to confirm the user’s qualification by reviewing the website of the Justice Department.

2. Upon a finding of a violation of this act by the Attorney General, in addition to the remedies provided elsewhere in this act, the social media platform may be fined $250,000 per day for a candidate for Atlasian or Regional offices and $25,000 per day for a candidate for other offices.

3. A social media platform that willfully provides free advertising for a candidate must inform the candidate of such in-kind contribution. Posts, content, material, and comments by candidates which are shown on the platform in the same or similar way as other users’ posts, content, material, and comments are not considered free advertising. Deplatforming an opponent of a candidate in violation of this act shall constitute an in-kind contribution subject to reporting requiresments.

TITLE IV: ANTI-TRUST

1. A person or an affiliate who has been placed on the antitrust violator vendor list following a conviction or being held civilly liable for an antitrust violation may not submit a bid, proposal, or reply for any new contract to provide any goods or services to the government of Atlasia or any department or agency thereof; may not submit a bid, proposal, or reply for a new contract with the government of Atlasia or any department or agency thereof for the construction or repair of a public building or public work; may not submit a bid, proposal, or reply on new leases of real property to the government of Atlasia or any department or agency thereof; may not be awarded or perform work as a contractor, supplier, subcontractor, or consultant under a new contract with the government of Atlasia or any department or agency thereof; and may not transact new business with the government of Atlasia or any department or agency thereof.

2. the government of Atlasia or any department or agency thereof may not accept a bid, proposal, or reply from, award a new contract to, or transact new business with any person or affiliate on the antitrust violator vendor list unless that person or affiliate has been removed from the list pursuant to this act.

3. Beginning January 1, 2023, all invitations to bid, requests for proposals, and invitations to negotiate from the government of Atlasia or any department or agency thereof must contain a statement informing applicants of the provisions of this act. The Justice Department shall maintain an antitrust violator vendor list of the names and addresses of the persons or affiliates who have been disqualified from the public contracting and purchasing process under this title.

4. After receiving notice of a judgment, sentence, or order from any source that a person was convicted or held civilly liable for an antitrust violation and after the Justice Department has investigated the information and verified both the judgment, sentence, or order and the identity of the person named in the documentation, the department must immediately notify the person or affiliate in writing of its intent to place the name of that person or affiliate on the antitrust violator vendor list and of the person’s or affiliate’s right to a hearing and to offer evidence and have assistance of counsel, the procedure that must be followed, and the applicable time requirements as set by the Justice Department to provide due process. If the person or affiliate does not request a hearing, the department shall enter a final order placing the name of the person or affiliate on the antitrust violator vendor list. A person or affiliate may be placed on the antitrust violator vendor list only after the department has provided the person or affiliate with a notice of intent.

5. A person or an affiliate may be removed from the antitrust violator vendor list subject to such terms and conditions as may be prescribed by the Justice Department upon a determination that removal is in the public interest. In determining whether removal is in the public interest, Attorney General must consider any relevant factors. Upon proof that a person was found not guilty or not civilly liable, the antitrust violation case was dismissed, the court entered a finding in the person’s favor, the person’s conviction or determination of liability has been reversed on appeal, or the person has been pardoned, the Attorney General shall determine that removal of the person or an affiliate of that person from the antitrust violator vendor list is in the public interest. A person or an affiliate on the antitrust violator vendor list may petition for removal from the list no sooner than six (6) months after the date a final order is entered pursuant to this act but may petition for removal at any time if the petition is based upon a reversal of the conviction or liability on appellate review or pardon.

6. If the petition for removal is denied, the person or affiliate may not petition for another hearing on removal for a period of nine (9) months after the date of denial unless the petition is based upon a reversal of the conviction on appellate review or a pardon.

7. A person who has been placed on the antitrust violator vendor list is not a qualified applicant for public economic incentives.

TITLE V: SOCIAL MEDIA PRACTICES

1. A social media platform that fails to comply with any of the provisions of this act commits an unfair or deceptive act or practice under antitrust law.

2. A social media platform must publish the standards, including detailed definitions, it uses or has used for determining how to censor, deplatform, and shadow ban.

3. A social media platform must apply censorship, deplatforming, and shadow banning standards in a consistent manner among its users on the platform.

4. A social media platform must inform each user about any changes to its user rules, terms, and agreements before implementing the changes and may not make changes more than once every thirty (30) days.

5. A social media platform may not censor or shadow ban a user’s content or material or deplatform a user from the social media platform without notifying the user who posted or attempted to post the content or material, or in a way that violates this act.

6. A social media platform must:

A. Provide a mechanism that allows a user to request the number of other individual platform participants who were provided or shown the user’s content or posts.

B. Provide, upon request, a user with the number of other individual platform participants who were provided or shown content or posts.

7. A social media platform must:

A. Categorize algorithms used for post-prioritization and shadow banning.

B. Allow a user to opt out of post-prioritization and shadow banning algorithm categories to allow sequential or chronological posts and content.

8. A social media platform must provide users with an annual notice on the use of algorithms for post-prioritization and shadow banning and reoffer annually the opt-out opportunity above.

9. A social media platform may not apply or use post prioritization or shadow banning algorithms for content and material posted by or about a user who is known by the social media platform to be a candidate as defined above, beginning on the date of qualification and ending on the day after the election or the date the candidate ceases to be a candidate. Post-prioritization of certain content or material from or about a candidate for office based on payments to the social media platform by such candidate for office or a third party is not a violation of this provision. A social media platform must provide each user a method by which the user may be identified as a qualified candidate and which provides sufficient information to allow the social media platform to confirm the user’s qualification by reviewing the website of the Justice Department.

10. A social media platform must allow a user who has been deplatformed to access or retrieve all of the user’s information, content, material, and data for at least sixty (60) days after the user receives the required notice.

11. A social media platform may not take any action to censor, deplatform, or shadow ban a journalistic enterprise based on the content of its publication or broadcast. Post prioritization of certain journalistic enterprise content based on payments to the social media platform by such journalistic enterprise is not a violation of this paragraph. This paragraph does not apply if the content or material is obscene or otherwise illegal.

12. For purposes of this act a notification must:

A. Be delivered in writing via mail, electronic mail, or direct electronic notification to the user within seven (7) days after the censoring action.

B. Include a thorough rationale explaining the reason that the social media platform censored the user.

C. Include a precise and thorough explanation of how the social media platform became aware of the censored content or material, including a thorough explanation of the algorithms used, if any, to identify or flag the user’s content or material objectionable.

D. Notwithstanding any other provisions of this provision, a social media platform is not required to notify a user if the censored content or material is obscene or otherwise illegal.

13. If the Justice Department, by its own inquiry or as a result of a complaint, suspects that a violation of this act is imminent, occurring, or has occurred, the Department may investigate the suspected violation in accordance with this part. Based on its investigation, the Department may bring a civil or administrative action under this part.

14. A user may bring a private cause of action for violations of this act, and if successful the court may award the following remedies to the user:

A. Up to $100,000 in statutory damages per proven claim.

B. Actual damages.

C. If aggravating factors are present, punitive damages.

D. An apology

E. Other forms of equitable relief, including injunctive relief.

F. Costs and reasonable attorney fees.

15. In an investigation by the Justice Department into alleged violations of this section, the department’s investigative powers include, but are not limited to, the ability to subpoena any algorithm used by a social media platform related to any alleged violation.

TITLE VI: AMENDMENTS AND ENACTMENT

1. This act shall amend and supersede those portions of Section 230 the Communications Decency Act (47 U.S.C. 230), and any other federal law, to the extent that such laws conflict with this act.

2. Any provision herein found to be unconstitutional by a court of proper jurisdiction shall be severable from the remainder of this act to the maximum extent permissible.

3. Unless otherwise specified herein, this act shall take effect January 1, 2023.

Mr. President, this bill passed 10-8-0-0 in the Atlasian Senate assembled and awaits your signature or veto.

x Spark, President pro tempore
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2022, 07:49:13 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2022, 07:22:11 AM by PPT Spark »

NO MORE CHEVRON DEFERENCE ACT

Senate Bill
to restore the Senate's powers over the legislative process

SECTION I. NAME.

a. This act shall be referred to as the No More Chevron Deference Act.

SECTION II: JUDICIAL POWER IN AGENCY ACTIONS
a. In a proceeding brought by or against a regulated party in a federal court of proper jurisdiction, the court shall decide all questions of law, including the interpretation of a Constitutional or statutory provision or a rule adopted by an agency, without deference to any previous determination that may have been made on the question by the agency. Notwithstanding any other law, this act applies in any action for judicial review of an agency action that is authorized by law. 5 U.S.C. § 551 et. seq. shall be amended accordingly.

SECTION III: TIMING
a. This act shall take effect immediately but shall not be retroactive to any cases pending in a federal court.

Mr. President, this bill has passed 10-6-1-1 in the Atlasian Senate assembled and awaits your signature or veto.

Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2022, 10:57:29 AM »

Signing statement

Whether or not you consider it a true "public square," as social media grows in importance it's vital that we prevent its Atlasian users from being shortchanged in their experience. The bigger an entity gets, the more responsibilities it has to keep clean, and our tech companies are no exception. The debate in the Senate has resulted in a bill which will give ordinary law-abiding Atlasians a fair deal in the social media landscape they signed up for. I'm happy to sign it.

SOCIAL MEDIA REFORM ACT

Senate Bill
to ensure big social media companies cannot unfairly deplatform, censor, shadowban, or otherwise harm lawful user content

TITLE I: FINDINGS

The government of Atlasia finds that:

1. Social media platforms represent an extraordinary advance in communication technology for Atlasians.

2. Users should be afforded control over their personal information related to social media platforms.

3. Atlasians increasingly rely on social media platforms to express their opinions and communicate with friends, their communities, and the nation at large.

4. Social media platforms have transformed into the new public town square.

5. Social media platforms have become as important for conveying public opinion as public utilities are for supporting modern society.

6. Social media platforms hold a unique place in preserving free speech protections for all Atlasians and should be treated similarly to common carriers.

7. Social media platforms that unfairly censor, shadow ban, deplatform, or apply post-prioritization algorithms to Atlasian candidates, users, or residents are not acting in good faith and are abusing their big corporate power to the detriment of free expression and an open society.

8. Social media platforms should not take any action in bad faith to restrict access or availability to Atlasians.

9. Social media platforms have unfairly censored, shadow banned, deplatformed, and applied post-prioritization algorithms in the Atlasia.

10. The government of Atlasia has a substantial interest in protecting its residents from inconsistent and unfair actions by inordinately powerful social media platforms.

11. The nation must vigorously enforce its laws to protect the people of Atlasia.

TITLE II: DEFINITIONS

1. As used in this act, the term:

“Algorithm” means a mathematical set of rules that specifies how a group of data behaves and that will assist in ranking search results and maintaining order or that is used in sorting or ranking content or material based on relevancy or other factors instead of using published time or chronological order of such content or material.

“Affiliate” means: A predecessor or successor of a person convicted of or held civilly liable for an antitrust violation; or an entity under the control of any natural person who is active in the management of the entity that has been convicted of or held civilly liable for an antitrust violation. The term includes those officers, directors, executives, partners, shareholders, employees, members, and agents who are active in the management of an affiliate. The term also includes a person who knowingly enters into a joint venture with a person who has violated an antitrust law during the preceding forty-eight (48) months.

“Antitrust violation” means any failure to comply with a federal or Regional antitrust law as determined in a civil or criminal proceeding brought by the Attorney General, a Regional attorney, a similar body or agency of another Region, the Federal Trade Commission, or the Atlasian Department of Justice.

“Antitrust violator vendor list” means the list required to be kept by the Department of Justice pursuant to this act.

“Censor” includes any action taken by a social media platform to delete, regulate, restrict, edit, alter, inhibit the publication or republication of, suspend a right to post, remove, or post an addendum to any content or material posted by a user. The term also includes actions to inhibit the ability of a user to be viewable by or to interact with another user of the social media platform.

“Deplatform” means the action or practice by a social media platform to permanently delete or ban a user or to temporarily delete or ban a user from the social media platform for more than fourteen (14) days.

“Journalistic enterprise” means an entity doing business in Atlasia that: 1. Publishes in excess of 10,000 words available online with at least 500 paid subscribers or 10,000 monthly active users; 2. Publishes 50 hours of audio or video available online with at least 1 million viewers annually; 3. Operates a cable channel that provides more than 40 hours of content per week to more than 10,000 cable television subscribers; or 4. Operates under a broadcast license issued by the Federal Communications Commission.

“Post-prioritization” means action by a social media platform to place, feature, or prioritize certain content or material ahead of, below, or in a more or less prominent position than others in a newsfeed, a feed, a view, or in search results. The term does not include post-prioritization of content and material of a third party, including other users, based on payments by that third party, to the social media platform.

“Shadow ban” means action by a social media platform, through any means, whether the action is determined by a natural person or an algorithm, to limit or eliminate the exposure of a user or content or material posted by a user to other users of the social media platform. This term includes acts of shadow banning by a social media platform which are not readily apparent to a user.

“Social media platform” means any information service, system, Internet search engine, or access software provider that: 1. Provides or enables computer access by multiple users to a computer server, including an Internet platform or a social media site; 2. Operates as a sole proprietorship, partnership, limited liability company, corporation, association, or other legal entity; 3. Does business in Atlasia; and either has annual gross revenues in excess of $10 million at least 1 million monthly individual platform participants globally.

“User” means a person who resides or is domiciled in Atlasian and who has an account on a social media platform, regardless of whether the person posts or has posted content, video, or other material to the social media platform.

TITLE III: POLITICAL CANDIDATES

1. A social media platform may not wilfully deplatform a candidate for public office who is known by the social media platform to be a candidate, beginning on the date of qualification and ending on the day after the election or the date the candidate ceases to be a candidate. A social media platform must provide each user a method by which the user may be identified as a qualified candidate and which provides sufficient information to allow the social media platform to confirm the user’s qualification by reviewing the website of the Justice Department. This title does not apply if the content or material for which the candidate is deplatformed is obscene or otherwise illegal.

2. Upon a finding of a violation of this act by the Attorney General, in addition to the remedies provided elsewhere in this act, the social media platform may be fined $250,000 per day for a candidate for Atlasian or Regional offices and $25,000 per day for a candidate for other offices.

3. A social media platform that wilfully provides free advertising for a candidate must inform the candidate of such in-kind contribution. Posts, content, material, and comments by candidates which are shown on the platform in the same or similar way as other users’ posts, content, material, and comments are not considered free advertising. Deplatforming an opponent of a candidate in violation of this act shall constitute an in-kind contribution subject to reporting requiresments.

TITLE IV: ANTI-TRUST

1. A person or an affiliate who has been placed on the antitrust violator vendor list following a conviction or being held civilly liable for an antitrust violation may not submit a bid, proposal, or reply for any new contract to provide any goods or services to the government of Atlasia or any department or agency thereof; may not submit a bid, proposal, or reply for a new contract with the government of Atlasia or any department or agency thereof for the construction or repair of a public building or public work; may not submit a bid, proposal, or reply on new leases of real property to the government of Atlasia or any department or agency thereof; may not be awarded or perform work as a contractor, supplier, subcontractor, or consultant under a new contract with the government of Atlasia or any department or agency thereof; and may not transact new business with the government of Atlasia or any department or agency thereof.

2. the government of Atlasia or any department or agency thereof may not accept a bid, proposal, or reply from, award a new contract to, or transact new business with any person or affiliate on the antitrust violator vendor list unless that person or affiliate has been removed from the list pursuant to this act.

3. Beginning January 1, 2023, all invitations to bid, requests for proposals, and invitations to negotiate from the government of Atlasia or any department or agency thereof must contain a statement informing applicants of the provisions of this act. The Justice Department shall maintain an antitrust violator vendor list of the names and addresses of the persons or affiliates who have been disqualified from the public contracting and purchasing process under this title.

4. After receiving notice of a judgment, sentence, or order from any source that a person was convicted or held civilly liable for an antitrust violation and after the Justice Department has investigated the information and verified both the judgment, sentence, or order and the identity of the person named in the documentation, the department must immediately notify the person or affiliate in writing of its intent to place the name of that person or affiliate on the antitrust violator vendor list and of the person’s or affiliate’s right to a hearing and to offer evidence and have assistance of counsel, the procedure that must be followed, and the applicable time requirements as set by the Justice Department to provide due process. If the person or affiliate does not request a hearing, the department shall enter a final order placing the name of the person or affiliate on the antitrust violator vendor list. A person or affiliate may be placed on the antitrust violator vendor list only after the department has provided the person or affiliate with a notice of intent.

5. A person or an affiliate may be removed from the antitrust violator vendor list subject to such terms and conditions as may be prescribed by the Justice Department upon a determination that removal is in the public interest. In determining whether removal is in the public interest, Attorney General must consider any relevant factors. Upon proof that a person was found not guilty or not civilly liable, the antitrust violation case was dismissed, the court entered a finding in the person’s favor, the person’s conviction or determination of liability has been reversed on appeal, or the person has been pardoned, the Attorney General shall determine that removal of the person or an affiliate of that person from the antitrust violator vendor list is in the public interest. A person or an affiliate on the antitrust violator vendor list may petition for removal from the list no sooner than six (6) months after the date a final order is entered pursuant to this act but may petition for removal at any time if the petition is based upon a reversal of the conviction or liability on appellate review or pardon.

6. If the petition for removal is denied, the person or affiliate may not petition for another hearing on removal for a period of nine (9) months after the date of denial unless the petition is based upon a reversal of the conviction on appellate review or a pardon.

7. A person who has been placed on the antitrust violator vendor list is not a qualified applicant for public economic incentives.

TITLE V: SOCIAL MEDIA PRACTICES

1. A social media platform that fails to comply with any of the provisions of this act commits an unfair or deceptive act or practice under antitrust law.

2. A social media platform must publish the standards, including detailed definitions, it uses or has used for determining how to censor, deplatform, and shadow ban.

3. A social media platform must apply censorship, deplatforming, and shadow banning standards in a consistent manner among its users on the platform.

4. A social media platform must inform each user about any changes to its user rules, terms, and agreements before implementing the changes and may not make changes more than once every thirty (30) days.

5. A social media platform may not censor or shadow ban a user’s content or material or deplatform a user from the social media platform without notifying the user who posted or attempted to post the content or material, or in a way that violates this act.

6. A social media platform must:

A. Provide a mechanism that allows a user to request the number of other individual platform participants who were provided or shown the user’s content or posts.

B. Provide, upon request, a user with the number of other individual platform participants who were provided or shown content or posts.

7. A social media platform must:

A. Categorize algorithms used for post-prioritization and shadow banning.

B. Allow a user to opt out of post-prioritization and shadow banning algorithm categories to allow sequential or chronological posts and content.

8. A social media platform must provide users with an annual notice on the use of algorithms for post-prioritization and shadow banning and reoffer annually the opt-out opportunity above.

9. A social media platform may not apply or use post prioritization or shadow banning algorithms for content and material posted by or about a user who is known by the social media platform to be a candidate as defined above, beginning on the date of qualification and ending on the day after the election or the date the candidate ceases to be a candidate. Post-prioritization of certain content or material from or about a candidate for office based on payments to the social media platform by such candidate for office or a third party is not a violation of this provision. A social media platform must provide each user a method by which the user may be identified as a qualified candidate and which provides sufficient information to allow the social media platform to confirm the user’s qualification by reviewing the website of the Justice Department.

10. A social media platform must allow a user who has been deplatformed to access or retrieve all of the user’s information, content, material, and data for at least sixty (60) days after the user receives the required notice.

11. A social media platform may not take any action to censor, deplatform, or shadow ban a journalistic enterprise based on the content of its publication or broadcast. Post prioritization of certain journalistic enterprise content based on payments to the social media platform by such journalistic enterprise is not a violation of this paragraph. This paragraph does not apply if the content or material is obscene or otherwise illegal.

12. For purposes of this act a notification must:

A. Be delivered in writing via mail, electronic mail, or direct electronic notification to the user within seven (7) days after the censoring action.

B. Include a thorough rationale explaining the reason that the social media platform censored the user.

C. Include a precise and thorough explanation of how the social media platform became aware of the censored content or material, including a thorough explanation of the algorithms used, if any, to identify or flag the user’s content or material objectionable.

D. Notwithstanding any other provisions of this provision, a social media platform is not required to notify a user if the censored content or material is obscene or otherwise illegal.

13. If the Justice Department, by its own inquiry or as a result of a complaint, suspects that a violation of this act is imminent, occurring, or has occurred, the Department may investigate the suspected violation in accordance with this part. Based on its investigation, the Department may bring a civil or administrative action under this part.

14. A user may bring a private cause of action for violations of this act, and if successful the court may award the following remedies to the user:

A. Up to $100,000 in statutory damages per proven claim.

B. Actual damages.

C. If aggravating factors are present, punitive damages.

D. An apology.

E. Other forms of equitable relief, including injunctive relief.

F. Costs and reasonable attorney fees.

15. In an investigation by the Justice Department into alleged violations of this section, the department’s investigative powers include, but are not limited to, the ability to subpoena any algorithm used by a social media platform related to any alleged violation.

TITLE VI: AMENDMENTS AND ENACTMENT

1. This act shall amend and supersede those portions of Section 230 the Communications Decency Act (47 U.S.C. 230), and any other federal law, to the extent that such laws conflict with this act.

2. Any provision herein found to be unconstitutional by a court of proper jurisdiction shall be severable from the remainder of this act to the maximum extent permissible.

3. Unless otherwise specified herein, this act shall take effect January 1, 2023.

Passed 10-8-0-0 in the Atlasian Senate assembled,

Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2022, 09:19:28 PM »

School Facilities Improvement Act

Senate Bill
to improve the quality of school facilities

SECTION I. NAME.

This Act shall be called the School Facilities Improvement Act.

SECTION II. Definitions

A. For the purposes of this section:

1. “School facilities” shall mean any building, structure, or landmark that is used wholly or in part by any school district, or subdivision thereof, for the purpose of educating, housing, feeding, or administering services to students.

2. "Primary building renewal projects" shall mean projects that are necessary for buildings owned by school districts that do not currently meet minimum adequacy guidelines under state law for school facilities.

3. "Secondary building renewal projects" shall mean projects for buildings owned by school districts that are dedicated to the improvement or expansion of school facilities that currently meet or exceed existing minimum adequacy guidelines under state law for school facilities.

4. “Student” shall mean any person enrolled or otherwise officially registered in a school district, or a subdivision thereof, for the purposes of receiving educational instruction.

SECTION III. Establishing the Office

A. The Department of Education shall establish an Office of School Facilities, This Office shall-

1.  Receive monies appropriated by Congress for the purposes of school facility improvement, renovation, and expansion.

2. Administer a building renewal grant fund and distribute monies to school districts, or subdivisions thereof, for the purpose of maintaining the adequacy of existing school facilities, improving existing school facilities, or expanding school facilities. These funds shall be provided for primary and secondary building renewal projects.

3. Communicate with any applicable state or local government department, agency, office, or any other relevant subdivision regarding the appropriation of monies for school facilities.

4. Approve applications received from school districts for school facility improvements based on Department rulemaking and generally accepted practices for school facility improvement.

5. Monitor progress made by school districts and their subdivisions on school facility improvement projects awarded by the Office.

6. Audit the use of school facilities grants on an annual basis.

7. Revoke grants and other appropriated monies from projects where a reasonable suspicion of fraud, embezzlement, or any other misappropriation exists.

8. Refer suspected cases of fraud or embezzlement to the Office of the Attorney General for investigation.

B. The Office of School Facilities shall undertake all existing responsibilities for the Educational Facilities Clearinghouse.

C. Existing personnel at the Educational Facilities Clearinghouse shall be transferred to the Office of School Facilities.

D. The Educational Facilities Clearinghouse shall cease operations upon implementation of this Act.

SECTION IV: Appropriations

A. Congress shall appropriate $10 billion in monies for FY 2023 for the Office of School Facilities building renewal grant fund.

B. Congress shall appropriate $500 million in monies for FY 2023 for the administration of the Office of School Facilities.

SECTION V: EFFECTIVE DATE

A. This law shall go into effect on October 1, 2022.

Mr. President, this bill has passed Congress by a vote of 13-2-4. and awaits your signature or veto.

x Spark
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2022, 12:30:32 AM »

Signing statement

I appreciate the progression this will hopefully bring activity on clarifying opaque applications of policy to the Senate, which I'm happy to see regaining more of its traditional role, and in the courts should there be any player or NPC legal challenges arising as a result. A reasonable bill all around.

NO MORE CHEVRON DEFERENCE ACT

Senate Bill
to restore the Senate's powers over the legislative process

SECTION I. NAME.

a. This act shall be referred to as the No More Chevron Deference Act.

SECTION II: JUDICIAL POWER IN AGENCY ACTIONS
a. In a proceeding brought by or against a regulated party in a federal court of proper jurisdiction, the court shall decide all questions of law, including the interpretation of a Constitutional or statutory provision or a rule adopted by an agency, without deference to any previous determination that may have been made on the question by the agency. Notwithstanding any other law, this act applies in any action for judicial review of an agency action that is authorized by law. 5 U.S.C. § 551 et. seq. shall be amended accordingly.

SECTION III: TIMING
a. This act shall take effect immediately but shall not be retroactive to any cases pending in a federal court.

Passed 10-6-1-1 in the Atlasian Senate assembled,

Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2022, 01:01:36 AM »

Signing statement

I think this speaks for itself really. It's important that we adequately fund our kids' learning spaces and take measures to ensure that the money put toward this is spent properly. While it would've been nice to see the same focus on ensuring there is money to put toward this in the first place, that, like the one hundred and sixty-three other unfunded bills for the upcoming fiscal year, will have to be dealt with during the budget process somehow. In the meantime signing this is a no-brainer.

Senate Bill
to improve the quality of school facilities

Be it enacted in the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia assembled,
SECTION I. NAME.

This Act shall be called the School Facilities Improvement Act.

SECTION II. Definitions

A. For the purposes of this section:

1. “School facilities” shall mean any building, structure, or landmark that is used wholly or in part by any school district, or subdivision thereof, for the purpose of educating, housing, feeding, or administering services to students.

2. "Primary building renewal projects" shall mean projects that are necessary for buildings owned by school districts that do not currently meet minimum adequacy guidelines under state law for school facilities.

3. "Secondary building renewal projects" shall mean projects for buildings owned by school districts that are dedicated to the improvement or expansion of school facilities that currently meet or exceed existing minimum adequacy guidelines under state law for school facilities.

4. “Student” shall mean any person enrolled or otherwise officially registered in a school district, or a subdivision thereof, for the purposes of receiving educational instruction.

SECTION III. Establishing the Office

A. The Department of Education shall establish an Office of School Facilities, This Office shall-

1.  Receive monies appropriated by Congress for the purposes of school facility improvement, renovation, and expansion.

2. Administer a building renewal grant fund and distribute monies to school districts, or subdivisions thereof, for the purpose of maintaining the adequacy of existing school facilities, improving existing school facilities, or expanding school facilities. These funds shall be provided for primary and secondary building renewal projects.

3. Communicate with any applicable state or local government department, agency, office, or any other relevant subdivision regarding the appropriation of monies for school facilities.

4. Approve applications received from school districts for school facility improvements based on Department rulemaking and generally accepted practices for school facility improvement.

5. Monitor progress made by school districts and their subdivisions on school facility improvement projects awarded by the Office.

6. Audit the use of school facilities grants on an annual basis.

7. Revoke grants and other appropriated monies from projects where a reasonable suspicion of fraud, embezzlement, or any other misappropriation exists.

8. Refer suspected cases of fraud or embezzlement to the Office of the Attorney General for investigation.

B. The Office of School Facilities shall undertake all existing responsibilities for the Educational Facilities Clearinghouse.

C. Existing personnel at the Educational Facilities Clearinghouse shall be transferred to the Office of School Facilities.

D. The Educational Facilities Clearinghouse shall cease operations upon implementation of this Act.

SECTION IV: Appropriations

A. Congress shall appropriate $10 billion in monies for FY 2023 for the Office of School Facilities building renewal grant fund.

B. Congress shall appropriate $500 million in monies for FY 2023 for the administration of the Office of School Facilities.

SECTION V: EFFECTIVE DATE

A. This law shall go into effect on October 1, 2022.

Passed by 13-2-4 in the Atlasian Senate assembled,

x Spark

Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2022, 03:45:03 PM »

AN ACT
To restructure the Game Engine to create a GM team

Section 1: Title & definitions
i. The title of this Act shall be The Game Engine Restructuring and GM Team Creation Act. It may also be cited as "The GM Team Creation Act".
ii. As it appears in this legislation, “non-playable entity” shall refer to all parties, including but not limited to foreign governments and non-state actors, minor agencies, state and municipal officers, and public interest groups, which may be presumed to exist within the context of Atlasia, the functions of which are not performed by any person registered with the Census Bureau.

Section 2: Separation of powers
i. All powers and prerogatives which shall by grant of Congress in the game engine reside, shall be divided among the several officers of the same, that is between the members of the game moderation team.

Section 3: Game Moderation Team
i. The president shall appoint three (3) members of the game moderation team (henceforth referred to as "the GM team") with the advice and consent of the Senate.
ii. The GM team shall have power, except where limited elsewhere by this legislation:
(a) to simulate the effect of domestic and foreign legislation of the government of Atlasia and of the several regions;
(b) to simulate the actions of non-playable entities;
(c) to simulate domestic and global events;
(d) to be the final arbiter in all questions of the reality of events which occur during their tenure;
(e) to be the final arbiter on the reality of the status quo with respect domestic and global conditions.
iii. The word of the GM team, once spoken, is Canon, and may not be revoked by their successor.
iv. Members of the GM team may be removed from office according to the same provisions set in place for the impeachment of executive officers.
v. A majority of members of the GM team may not hold any other elected or appointed office in either the Federal or Regional Governments.

Section 4: Internal Deliberations of the GM team and Public Updates
a) Any major decision by the GM team regarding information given to government officials in but not limited to the National Security Council, shall be put to an internal vote if any member of the team objects. A majority of votes shall be required to pass a major decision. Should a vote come to a tie either due to vacancy or absence, the most senior sitting member of the GM team who is not an elected official shall break the tie. No major decision's vote may come to an end with less than 2 members of the GM team voting. The GM team may internally delegate certain topics to certain members by internal vote. Should the member of the team who is delegated to a topic leave the team, a new member my have the topic designated to them, or the team may choose to split responsibility for the topic amongst themselves.
b) Any public update as a whole shall be voted on by the GM team with the same rules described in Section 4.a with the internal vote count being made public at the end of the update. A majority of members of the GM team must provide confirmation within the Game Engine publication thread that the vote count is valid.
c) Should any member of the GM team post a public update without a vote count or without verification from a majority the other members of the team, or give information to government officials without approval from a majority of the team, it shall be considered an impeachable offense.

Section 5: Repeal of old legislation
i. All previous Acts of Congress as they relate to the structure, powers, and officers of the game engine are hereby repealed.

Mr. President, the above bill has passed the Atlasian Congress in a vote of 8-2-1 and awaits your signature or veto.

x Spark, President pro tempore of the Senate of Atlasia
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2022, 01:13:42 PM »

National Hostel Program Act

Senate Bill
to reduce homelessness and to provide resources to local government

Section 1. Title

This Act shall be called the National Hostel Program Act

Section 2. Definitions

A. Homelessness shall be defined as living in housing that is below the minimum standard or lacks secure tenure. People can be categorized as homeless if they are: living on the streets (primary homelessness); moving between temporary shelters, including houses of friends, family and emergency accommodation (secondary homelessness); living in private boarding houses without a private bathroom or security of tenure (tertiary homelessness).

Section 3. National Hostel Program

A. The Department of Housing and Urban Development shall establish the National Hostel Program, which shall be administered by the Office of Public and Indian Housing.

B. The Office of Public and Indian Housing shall use annually appropriated monies for the National Hostel Program to-

1. Purchase, lease, or otherwise acquire hostels, motels, inns, and other such similar buildings for the housing of homeless persons.

2. Establish intergovernmental agreements with municipalities, counties, law enforcement, and other such government entities for the purposes of identifying and housing homeless persons.

3. Cooperate with local law enforcement on enforcement of local ordinances and applicable statute.

4. Provide at least 30 days of published community notice and public comment period upon the acquisition of shelters for use of housing homeless persons.
a. Community notices published by the Department must be available online.
b. The Department shall hold a virtual hearing at the end of the 30-day public comment period.

5. Establish contractors or agreement with local businesses, community organizations, and/or local government for the provision of services free of charge to homeless persons participating in the National Hostel Program, including but not limited to:
a. Food and drinking water
b. Electricity
c. Sanitation, including personal hygiene products
d. Counseling and mental health services
e. First aid
f. Banking services
g. Career guidance
h. Laundry
i. Dental and vision care

C. The Department shall adhere to all relevant state statute and local regulations during the acquisition process.

D. The Department shall administer the National Hostel Program in conjunction with local and state governments. The Department may use appropriated monies to establish contracts with local and state agencies for the purposes of administration of properties acquired under the National Hostel Program.

E. The Department shall conduct an annual audit into properties acquired by the National Hostel Program.

F. The Department shall report any deficiencies or concerns identified under annual audit to Congress.

G. The Department may sell, lease, or otherwise relinquish ownership of properties acquired under the National Hostel Program.

H. The Department shall establish eligibility criteria for the National Hostel Program that is consistent with Department rulemaking and applicable statute.

Section 4. Appropriations

A. The Department of Housing and Urban Development shall receive $7.5 billion in FY 2023 appropriations for the establishment of the National Hostel Program.

B. The Department of Housing and Urban Development shall receive $7.5 billion in FY 2024 appropriations for the establishment of the National Hostel Program.

C. Any money appropriated herein shall be redirected from those monies authorized to be appropriated by the Social Housing Act for such fiscal year

Section 5. Enactment

A. This bill shall come into effect on October 1, 2022.

Mr. President, the above bill has passed Congress in a 9-1-1 vote, and awaits your signature or veto.

x Spark, President pro tempore of the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2022, 10:51:07 PM »

Signing statement

It has been clear for a while that the GM workload, in addition to dissuading potential candidates from learning the ropes, has simply grown beyond the capabilities of any single player to handle. This bill aims to remedy both of these problems by splitting the workload and, ideally, providing a more level training ground for those willing to try their hand at playing God. I am skeptical of the committee solution and its workability as a general rule but this is a situation where the need and potential for benefits outweigh the well-known drawbacks.

I will be keeping applications open for a while longer before referring my final picks to the Senate, and I'll also remind everyone reading this that non-officeholders are highly encouraged to apply.

AN ACT
To restructure the Game Engine to create a GM team

Section 1: Title & definitions
i. The title of this Act shall be The Game Engine Restructuring and GM Team Creation Act. It may also be cited as "The GM Team Creation Act".
ii. As it appears in this legislation, “non-playable entity” shall refer to all parties, including but not limited to foreign governments and non-state actors, minor agencies, state and municipal officers, and public interest groups, which may be presumed to exist within the context of Atlasia, the functions of which are not performed by any person registered with the Census Bureau.

Section 2: Separation of powers
i. All powers and prerogatives which shall by grant of Congress in the game engine reside, shall be divided among the several officers of the same, that is between the members of the game moderation team.

Section 3: Game Moderation Team
i. The president shall appoint three (3) members of the game moderation team (henceforth referred to as "the GM team") with the advice and consent of the Senate.
ii. The GM team shall have power, except where limited elsewhere by this legislation:
(a) to simulate the effect of domestic and foreign legislation of the government of Atlasia and of the several regions;
(b) to simulate the actions of non-playable entities;
(c) to simulate domestic and global events;
(d) to be the final arbiter in all questions of the reality of events which occur during their tenure;
(e) to be the final arbiter on the reality of the status quo with respect domestic and global conditions.
iii. The word of the GM team, once spoken, is Canon, and may not be revoked by their successor.
iv. Members of the GM team may be removed from office according to the same provisions set in place for the impeachment of executive officers.
v. A majority of members of the GM team may not hold any other elected or appointed office in either the Federal or Regional Governments.

Section 4: Internal Deliberations of the GM team and Public Updates
a) Any major decision by the GM team regarding information given to government officials in but not limited to the National Security Council, shall be put to an internal vote if any member of the team objects. A majority of votes shall be required to pass a major decision. Should a vote come to a tie either due to vacancy or absence, the most senior sitting member of the GM team who is not an elected official shall break the tie. No major decision's vote may come to an end with less than 2 members of the GM team voting. The GM team may internally delegate certain topics to certain members by internal vote. Should the member of the team who is delegated to a topic leave the team, a new member my have the topic designated to them, or the team may choose to split responsibility for the topic amongst themselves.
b) Any public update as a whole shall be voted on by the GM team with the same rules described in Section 4.a with the internal vote count being made public at the end of the update. A majority of members of the GM team must provide confirmation within the Game Engine publication thread that the vote count is valid.
c) Should any member of the GM team post a public update without a vote count or without verification from a majority the other members of the team, or give information to government officials without approval from a majority of the team, it shall be considered an impeachable offense.

Section 5: Repeal of old legislation
i. All previous Acts of Congress as they relate to the structure, powers, and officers of the game engine are hereby repealed.

Passed  8-2-1 in the Atlasian Senate assembled,

x Spark, President pro tempore of the Senate of Atlasia

Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2022, 11:24:52 PM »

Signing statement

The primary pitfalls of temporary spending bills and programs and other such things have generally been the lack of an "exit strategy" and its implications for the implementation process, especially where housing problems have been concerned. That has been addressed in this bill and I'm especially glad that this will help to augment the federal and various regional housing bills which have been adopted recently in their common goal of keeping a roof over people's heads and helping get needy Atlasians off the streets.

National Hostel Program Act

Senate Bill
to reduce homelessness and to provide resources to local government

Section 1. Title

This Act shall be called the National Hostel Program Act

Section 2. Definitions

A. Homelessness shall be defined as living in housing that is below the minimum standard or lacks secure tenure. People can be categorized as homeless if they are: living on the streets (primary homelessness); moving between temporary shelters, including houses of friends, family and emergency accommodation (secondary homelessness); living in private boarding houses without a private bathroom or security of tenure (tertiary homelessness).

Section 3. National Hostel Program

A. The Department of Housing and Urban Development shall establish the National Hostel Program, which shall be administered by the Office of Public and Indian Housing.

B. The Office of Public and Indian Housing shall use annually appropriated monies for the National Hostel Program to-

1. Purchase, lease, or otherwise acquire hostels, motels, inns, and other such similar buildings for the housing of homeless persons.

2. Establish intergovernmental agreements with municipalities, counties, law enforcement, and other such government entities for the purposes of identifying and housing homeless persons.

3. Cooperate with local law enforcement on enforcement of local ordinances and applicable statute.

4. Provide at least 30 days of published community notice and public comment period upon the acquisition of shelters for use of housing homeless persons.
a. Community notices published by the Department must be available online.
b. The Department shall hold a virtual hearing at the end of the 30-day public comment period.

5. Establish contractors or agreement with local businesses, community organizations, and/or local government for the provision of services free of charge to homeless persons participating in the National Hostel Program, including but not limited to:
a. Food and drinking water
b. Electricity
c. Sanitation, including personal hygiene products
d. Counseling and mental health services
e. First aid
f. Banking services
g. Career guidance
h. Laundry
i. Dental and vision care

C. The Department shall adhere to all relevant state statute and local regulations during the acquisition process.

D. The Department shall administer the National Hostel Program in conjunction with local and state governments. The Department may use appropriated monies to establish contracts with local and state agencies for the purposes of administration of properties acquired under the National Hostel Program.

E. The Department shall conduct an annual audit into properties acquired by the National Hostel Program.

F. The Department shall report any deficiencies or concerns identified under annual audit to Congress.

G. The Department may sell, lease, or otherwise relinquish ownership of properties acquired under the National Hostel Program.

H. The Department shall establish eligibility criteria for the National Hostel Program that is consistent with Department rulemaking and applicable statute.

Section 4. Appropriations

A. The Department of Housing and Urban Development shall receive $7.5 billion in FY 2023 appropriations for the establishment of the National Hostel Program.

B. The Department of Housing and Urban Development shall receive $7.5 billion in FY 2024 appropriations for the establishment of the National Hostel Program.

C. Any money appropriated herein shall be redirected from those monies authorized to be appropriated by the Social Housing Act for such fiscal year.

Section 5. Enactment

A. This bill shall come into effect on October 1, 2022.

Passed 9-1-1 in the Atlasian Senate assembled,

x Spark, President pro tempore of the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia

Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2022, 04:51:28 PM »

William Jennings Bryan Anti-Imperialism Act

Senate Bill
to renounce foolish imperialist claims abroad

Section 1. Title

This Act shall be called the William Jennings Bryan Anti-Imperialism Act.

Section 2. Renunciation of imperialist claims

A. The Screwing Around With Borders Act is hereby repealed.

B. The Now We're Really Screwing Around With Borders Act is hereby repealed.

Section 3. Enactment

This bill shall come into effect ten (10) days after the date of passage.

Mr. President, the above bill has passed Congress 7-6-0 and awaits your signature or veto.

x Spark, President pro tempore of Senate of the Republic of Atlasia
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2022, 10:47:34 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2022, 12:14:57 AM by President Joseph Cao »

The people of Branson, Missouri have suffered long enough. It’s time to reveal the truth.

There's a Bible verse applicable here which my informant wanted to be communicated, but seeing as that practice has ended up in court I'll let you fill in the blanks on that.

Quote from: EO 57:04
EXECUTIVE ORDER
To illuminate past mysteries for the edification of the Atlasian people

1. The following documents gathered by the Atlasian Government shall immediately be declassified in their entirety:
   a. All annexes and supplementary documents pertaining to reported cases of Ivory Coast trypanosomiasis on Atlasian soil on or after August 17, 2006;
   b. All annexes and supplementary documents concerning the federally funded research program into recovery from sports-related injuries conducted within the University of Illinois, Chicago campus between March 26, 1997 and August 29, 1997;
   c. All reports of investigations by federal agencies into events of interest taking place at the Gateway Arch, St. Louis, MO, on June 13, 2006;
   d. All documents pertaining to the federal investigation into the wide-ranging service disruptions occurring in Oxford, IL, on July 21, 2009;
   e. Any and all reports of sightings of the Missouri Monster and other “paranormal” entities in the Springfield, MO metropolitan area occurring after September 10, 2004;
   f. All information pertaining to the identity of Mayor Hernández of Chicago gathered by federal agencies on or before November 30, 2020;
   g. Any and all reports of contact with intelligent extraterrestrial life by individuals residing within the state of Missouri and in possession of a British National (Overseas) passport occurring prior to July 15, 2006;
   h. Any and all information pertaining to reported sightings of members of Liverpool boy band the Beatles (Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr) on Atlasian soil on or after August 18, 2004.
2. Nothing in this executive order shall be construed to violate the anonymity of private citizens named in the documents listed in section 1.

Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2022, 03:17:58 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2022, 04:33:20 PM by PPT Spark »

Bar Rescue Act of 2022

Senate Bill
to Rescue Bars from Regional Tyranny

1. No restaurant, bar, saloon, or other business that sells alcoholic beverages for on-site consumption, or employee thereof shall refuse to serve or discriminate against any patron on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity, or advertise or hold itself out as discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.

2. For purposes of this act, the use of any advertising, marketing, or promotional materials or communications that represent a restaurant, bar, saloon, or other business as being a "straight bar", a "heterosexual bar", a "gay bar", a "lesbian bar", a "queer bar", a "cisgender bar", a "drag bar", or a "transgender bar" shall not constitute a violation of this act.

3. It shall be unlawful for any regional government or subdivision of the Republic of Atlasia to prohibit the existence of bars or the advertisement of bars on the basis of advertising, marketing, or promotional materials or communications that represent a restaurant, bar, saloon, or other business as being a "straight bar", a "heterosexual bar", a "gay bar", a "lesbian bar", a "queer bar", a "cisgender bar", a "drag bar", or a "transgender bar".

4. Paragraph 3 of this act does not apply if the content or material of a restaurant, bar, saloon, or other business advertisement is found to be illegal in a court of law.

5. This act shall take effect immediately.

Mr. President, the above bill has passed Congress by a vote of 10-3-0 and awaits your signature or veto.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies