🇸🇪 Swederland 🇨🇭
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:32:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  🇸🇪 Swederland 🇨🇭
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Where would you rather want to live?
🇸🇪
🇨🇭
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: 🇸🇪 Swederland 🇨🇭  (Read 492 times)
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2022, 10:48:40 AM »

Joe Biden at the NATO summit in Madrid 🇪🇸 this week:

parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 10:56:54 AM »

Both countries inhabited by socially maladjusted weirdos who are incapable of showing emotions, opening up to strangers and do unspeakable things to food. Obviously the two get confused.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 02:10:31 PM »

Confusing Sweden and Switzerland is probably the most common country-related speech error in the English speaking world. Confusing the U.K., Britain, and England is more common but also more of a conceptual issue.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 02:48:19 PM »

Switzeden.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 03:19:49 PM »

But do they protect white life in Swederland?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 04:01:23 PM »

Confusing Sweden and Switzerland is probably the most common country-related speech error in the English speaking world. Confusing the U.K., Britain, and England is more common but also more of a conceptual issue.

Really? Maybe I'm bad at detecting sarcasm; but if that wasn't supposed to be sarcasm, I thought Slovakia and Slovenia were the hardest to distinguish. Even many Europeans cannot tell those countries apart.

Can you identify these flags? 🇸🇰 🇸🇮
Which of those two countries uses the international vehicle registration code SLO?
Which country uses the ccTLD ".sl"?
What country is depicted on this map?

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 04:22:26 PM »

Only because of a name change to Eswatini.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 04:39:43 PM »

Really? Maybe I'm bad at detecting sarcasm; but if that wasn't supposed to be sarcasm, I thought Slovakia and Slovenia were the hardest to distinguish. Even many Europeans cannot tell those countries apart.

Which of those two countries uses the international vehicle registration code SLO?

A large number of native English speakers have never heard of Slovenia and Slovakia, and the ones who have probably discuss those two countries less frequently than Switzerland and Sweden, which have a higher international profile. But yeah, people probably mix those two up a fair amount.

I know the difference of course, I post on the atlas forum! Though I confess I do not know any country's vehicle registration codes, nor ccTLD except the very obvious (.us, .uk, .fr, .ru).

Incidentally, this got me to look up native English speaker stats. I figured Americans would be a majority of native English speakers in the world but I did not realize how big that majority would be--it's over 61%. If you add in Canada, that means that around two-thirds of native English speakers are speakers of North American English. This is interesting because probably a majority of non-native English speakers are aiming for something closer to standard dialects of British English, barring obvious exceptions like the Philippines, Latin America, and Korea (still not enough to outweigh sub-Saharan Africa and the subcontinent!). Will be interesting to see if this changes in the future.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 06:32:54 PM »

Suicia, Sueza
Suicos, suecios
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2022, 06:38:00 AM »

The country that has never produced a complete piece of cheese wants me to move there? No thanks, I'll keep my Kraft singles, which have never had holes in them.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2022, 12:47:39 PM »

A large number of native English speakers have never heard of Slovenia and Slovakia, and the ones who have probably discuss those two countries less frequently than Switzerland and Sweden, which have a higher international profile. But yeah, people probably mix those two up a fair amount.

I know the difference of course, I post on the atlas forum! Though I confess I do not know any country's vehicle registration codes, nor ccTLD except the very obvious (.us, .uk, .fr, .ru).

Incidentally, this got me to look up native English speaker stats. I figured Americans would be a majority of native English speakers in the world but I did not realize how big that majority would be--it's over 61%. If you add in Canada, that means that around two-thirds of native English speakers are speakers of North American English. This is interesting because probably a majority of non-native English speakers are aiming for something closer to standard dialects of British English, barring obvious exceptions like the Philippines, Latin America, and Korea (still not enough to outweigh sub-Saharan Africa and the subcontinent!). Will be interesting to see if this changes in the future.

One of them brought us the last First Lady, the other one didn't. Not that hard.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2022, 03:56:05 PM »

Switzerland is warmer, has higher wages/more jobs and while my German is incredibly rusty, it essioy beats my non-existent Swedish

Not a hard choice
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2022, 05:18:42 PM »

The country that has never produced a complete piece of cheese wants me to move there? No thanks, I'll keep my Kraft singles, which have never had holes in them.

No holes. Not one.

Now I like to think of myself as an easy going, tolerant guy. But reducing Swiss Cheese to E****taler is tantamount to a declaration of war.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2022, 06:37:14 PM »

That might not be the biggest gaffe because he immediately corrects himself. But the leader of Finland being a he. Since when is Sanne Marin a "he"? Likely, he got someone else on the phone and didn't directly speak the prime minister of Finland.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies