is the Weezer album Pinkerton good?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:37:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  is the Weezer album Pinkerton good?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: is the Weezer album Pinkerton good?
not only is it good, it's excellent

yes

meh

no

I don't know, but I like to vote.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: is the Weezer album Pinkerton good?  (Read 212 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2022, 06:42:28 AM »

I was early on the Weezer train, thought the Blue album was great.  Then they dropped Pinkerton and it wasn't really liked by many critics but some fans liked it.  I liked it.  The band didn't like it.  Then it got kind of a cult following and the critics decided they liked it.  The band then REALLy didn't like it.  But people kept digging it and eventually the band started to like it again.  It's been more than 25 years now, what do we think.  I just listened to it again after many years, and it's still funking awesome.

The Blue album and Pinkerton are the only Weezer things I purchased.  The Green album didn't do it for me and I kind of stopped paying attention.  I've heard a few of the singles and they are good, just not my thing anymore.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 10:57:02 AM »

It took me a few listens to realize it, but yes, it's awesome. I haven't put together a top 50 albums list in over a decade, but if I did one now, I don't doubt that the Blue album and Pinkerton would both make it on there.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 11:09:51 AM »

Great album. Too bad the backlash to it broke Rivers Cuomo’s brain and made Weezer mostly suck afterwards.
Independents for George Santos
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 11:29:01 AM »

One of the few albums that's simultaneously really good and really cringe. Was a favourite of mine when I was 16 or so but I haven't really listened to it recently, and I agree that it kind of overshares a bit. Oddly enough though I was humming Pink Triangle yesterday after something made me think of lesbians, probably this meme:

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2022, 11:36:15 AM »

One of the few albums that's simultaneously really good and really cringe. Was a favourite of mine when I was 16 or so but I haven't really listened to it recently, and I agree that it kind of overshares a bit.

Part of what makes it so good is the cringe oversharing though. Rivers really put himself out there and was so stung by the criticism it caused him to write mindless drivel like “Island in the Sun” and “Beverly Hills” and “Raditude” afterwards, never going so far into the raw and personal realm again in his lyrics.
Independents for George Santos
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2022, 12:06:09 PM »

One of the few albums that's simultaneously really good and really cringe. Was a favourite of mine when I was 16 or so but I haven't really listened to it recently, and I agree that it kind of overshares a bit.

Part of what makes it so good is the cringe oversharing though. Rivers really put himself out there and was so stung by the criticism it caused him to write mindless drivel like “Island in the Sun” and “Beverly Hills” and “Raditude” afterwards, never going so far into the raw and personal realm again in his lyrics.

I think there's a difference between lines like "we're all we've got and we don't want to be alone" and "I wonder how [18-year old girl who live in small city of Japan] touch yourself at night". I appreciate candidness and raw emotion but there's a point where it just feels a bit much for me.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2022, 02:35:24 PM »

It far exceeds Blue, which far exceeds the crap they released post-Pinkerton.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2022, 04:20:31 PM »

It's great, but not as good as Blue

Also Weezer have done some good stuff since Pinkerton thats worth checking out, just nothing that compares to those first two.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2022, 05:42:38 PM »

I've never liked anything by Rivers Cuomo or Weezer.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2022, 09:15:05 AM »

That balance of incredibly catchy hooks and intentionally sloppy playing is something that I’ve never heard matched on any other record. It’s an original, regardless of anything else you might think about it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2022, 03:12:38 PM »

One of the most underrated and indeed wrongly vilified albums ever. The fact this album didn't become a classic and yet Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell went multi-platinum is a crime against nature
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies