Manchin and Sinema oppose any sort of filibuster carve out
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:21:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Manchin and Sinema oppose any sort of filibuster carve out
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Manchin and Sinema oppose any sort of filibuster carve out  (Read 817 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2022, 01:26:09 PM »

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/biden-says-he-supports-overriding-filibuster-protect-abortion-rights-2022-06-30/

A spokesman for Manchin and an aide to Sinema, who both have opposed suspending the filibuster in the past, told Reuters on Thursday that their respective positions had not changed.

Looks like Roe won’t be codified

Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 01:31:36 PM »

Dems should still hold a vote--put these idiots on record as opposing the will of the country as a whole.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 01:32:17 PM »

Fine by me!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 01:33:19 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2022, 03:01:56 PM by President Johnson »

I dislike them more with each passing day.

Hopefully Democrats can add seats this year like electing John Fetterman while Sinema gets primaried out in 2024 by Gallegho, after they also got rid of Feinstein.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 01:33:39 PM »

The margin of Sinema's primary loss to Gallego in a couple years is going to be something else I tell you what.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 01:35:54 PM »

Hopefully Democrats and add seats this year like electing John Fetterman while Sinema gets primaried out in 2024 by Gallegho, after they also got rid of Feinstein.
And yet you like Romney, who also opposes removing the filibuster...

The margin of Sinema's primary loss to Gallego in a couple years is going to be something else I tell you what.
Thanks for the Senate seat, then!
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 01:37:40 PM »

Dems should still hold a vote--put these idiots on record as opposing the will of the country as a whole.

Senator’s aren’t supposed to represent the will of the country as a whole. They’re supposed to represent their constituents, the people who live in their state. If the people of Arizona and WV want the filibuster, then opposing weakening it is just doing their job.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 01:39:11 PM »

I don't understand the idea that anyone to Sinema's left is an automatic loss in AZ when the state is also represented by Mark Kelly.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2022, 01:40:26 PM »

Hopefully Democrats and add seats this year like electing John Fetterman while Sinema gets primaried out in 2024 by Gallegho, after they also got rid of Feinstein.

To be fair it’s easier to like someone from the other party who can potentially work with your side on a few issues then it is to like someone from your own party who impedes your agenda .

Like I’m sure if Manchin was a Republican for example President Johnson would like him more while most blue avatars would like him less cause now he’s be impeding our agenda .

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2022, 01:41:20 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2022, 02:04:23 PM by President Johnson »

Senator’s aren’t supposed to represent the will of the country as a whole. They’re supposed to represent their constituents, the people who live in their state. If the people of Arizona and WV want the filibuster, then opposing weakening it is just doing their job.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember there was a Arizona poll a while ago opposing the filibuster by roughly 60%.

Anyway, I'm not sure most people even know what the filibuster is, and hardly anyone changes their vote because of that one issue. Manchin not being a liberal is still understandable, but Sinema is going to lose her primary badly. She has like 17% approval rating among Democrats. Even the most anti-Trump Republicans have more support within their party.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2022, 01:45:47 PM »

To be fair it’s easier to like someone from the other party who can potentially work with your side on a few issues then it is to like someone from your own party who impedes your agenda .

Like I’m sure if Manchin was a Republican for example President Johnson would like him more while most blue avatars would like him less cause now he’s be impeding our agenda .

One main reason I like Romney is because I respect him for taking the right stance on Trump without fear of political consequences. Also, Romney is not derailing Biden's agenda as you said, he was never supposed to vote with Biden more than 50% of the time.

I wouldn't actually be surprised if Romney now had higher favorables among Democrats nationally than Manchin or Sinema have.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2022, 01:46:42 PM »

Tell me you don't understand politics without telling me you don't understand politics...
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2022, 01:48:55 PM »

Good Lord, at this point no one should be surprised, much less upset.  They're not changing for anything.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2022, 01:51:46 PM »

Good Lord, at this point no one should be surprised, much less upset.  They're not changing for anything.

It’s easier for certain people to continue throwing tantrums than it is to admit defeat and start trying something else.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2022, 01:54:35 PM »

also im not sure if its been polled, but im pretty sure if you asked people the context - "would you support the filibuster being blown out only for these specific purposes", im sure a majority would approve for abortion rights
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2022, 03:17:38 PM »

Yet another reminder that the filibuster was invented by accident due to a rule change made in 1806, but never actually used until 1837.  It was extremely rarely used throughout most of the Senate's history until the Civil Rights Era, and of course was always meant to be a literal elongated speech to hold up Senate business.  Only in recent decades has the mere threat of a filibuster become routine part of everyday Senate business, and has thus paralyzed a whole half of Congress entirely.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2022, 03:21:50 PM »

This also a campaign issue D's already said net them WI and PA and hold onto H and they get Filibuster proof S
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2022, 03:29:02 PM »

Manchin and Sinema are the two worst people in government.

At least Republicans believe in something other than person enrichment.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2022, 03:31:40 PM »

1. Biden floats he doesn't want to do anything about the issue to preserve institutions.
2. The backlash is more than the administration is comfortable with.
3. The Biden administration opts to publicly flip, knowing it doesn't have to worry about following through - its real intentions are already clear to those most willing to handle the backlash.

Could I be wrong here? Definitely. But Manchin and Sinema are not acting alone - they are a front for (at the very least) a larger group of Democratic Senators, most of whom are in bluer states and badly in need of primaries.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2022, 03:38:04 PM »

The filibuster needs to be an actual standing filibuster where they get up and speak.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2022, 03:38:27 PM »

It’s easier for certain people to continue throwing tantrums than it is to admit defeat and start trying something else.
There is literally nothing that can be done.
The legislative branch is in complete paralysis because two cheap whores got paid to put it there. He can’t make laws by fiat.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2022, 03:39:15 PM »

The filibuster needs to be an actual standing filibuster where they get up and speak.
The filibuster doesn’t need to be anything but non-existent.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2022, 03:46:08 PM »

There is literally nothing that can be done.
The legislative branch is in complete paralysis because two cheap whores got paid to put it there. He can’t make laws by fiat.

Hey now, that comparison is unfair. Specifically it is unfair to sex workers, who perform a much more respectable service than anything Sinema does.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2022, 03:47:57 PM »

Like I said in the other thread, Manchin really needs to form a bipartisan group to codify basic exceptions like rape or incest. Not all states have these exceptions. There are only a few working months left in this current congress.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2022, 04:20:13 PM »

Manchin might not vote for the codification even if it was somehow a 50 vote threshold.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies