Kamala Harris: "Do *what* now?"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:35:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kamala Harris: "Do *what* now?"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Kamala Harris: "Do *what* now?"  (Read 2072 times)
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2022, 12:27:32 PM »

It would really be nice to have a functional left-wing party in this country.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2022, 12:39:36 PM »

uggggg   Get read for President DeSantis I guess, I don't know if we're ready for <looks it up> an Italian president.  Is there no way Polis can win a Dem primary?

Why should women vote for De Santis, a Republican? Women just lost a freedom they enjoyed for 50 years thanks to them. Are we are supposed to vote for the party who did this? Are you crazy?

It's really time for a woman president and Kamala is already the closest person to the position than anyone. Let's see what she's got. Men, get out of the way, you've had the helm long enough.

You can't win presidential elections just by being the better candidate choice for people who are already voting.A huge part of it is getting people who only vote sometimes or have never voted before to show up and vote for you. Hillary Clinton was only able to SOMEWHAT do that because people hated Trump and wanted to make sure he lost. Harris probably won't be able to rely on sometimes-voters and non-voters to show up to vote for her to make sure Trump / DeSantis lose, and even if she can, it's probably not enough. You need to inspire non-political "normies" to show up to vote FOR you, not just people who will strategy vote for you to defeat your opponent. Obama did this. Bernie did this. We need somebody who can do this. That's more important than nominating a woman who's probably going to lose the election.

Here's another angle. See, women never forget. They never forget ANY inappropriate sexual things that have been done to them, no matter what age they are. They never forget the slights from society they experience, such as unequal pay for equal work. They will absolutely never forget what Trump said about grabbing the pussy thing. And now with a Freedom having been taken away from them regarding abortion, I believe that women are primed and ready to fight.

Talk about "inspiring non-political 'normies'" to show up to vote, women ARE inspired. And Kamala is a woman. And she is in a prominent political position in our government. In spite of what people here think, many women and girls look up to her.

If anyone is in a position to have influence over women it's Kamala Harris. Many guys might not agree with this but, well....you are entitled to your opinion.

And in my opinion, Kamala is not VP material. She is not shining in that position because she is a born leader, not a follower. Put her in the top spot and watch her find her voice and her power as a woman, and watch her lead this country in the right direction that benefits everyone. At least she will try.

Leaders learn how to follow before then can lead.  That's a fact.  

Kamala Harris is not a "born leader" because she is obtuse to the consequences of leadership.  Nothing is ever her fault, but real leadership understands that the buck stops with them.  

Even Donald Trump, who never admitted fault, governed knowing that he'd be judged by what he did.  People got that.  Obama got that somewhat.  W. got that somewhat.  Even BILL Clinton got that somewhat.

Kamala Harris does not get that.  She has done NOTHING to inspire people to follow her because she is a narcissist who is focused on herself, exclusively.  It's the one thing she has in common with Hillary Clinton, who's an HP but DOES have a major league intellect.  It's why she ran a terrible campaign.  What compelling reason is there to pick HER?  Indeed, even for VP, what compelling reason is there to pick HER?

If Republicans can elect the King of Narcissism then you have no leg to stand on when/if the Democrats elect one.

And if you don't know the answers to your other questions then so be it. That's why women are making gains in our society as slow as turtles. There seems to be inbred bias against them. That's what it looks like to me.

Kamala Harris's problems go beyond one flubbed answer to a poorly worded question, and anyone who doesn't see that isn't going to get the fat, swamp-funded retainer to manage my upcoming campaign for the GOP nomination in Florida's 32nd Congressional District.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2022, 03:03:09 PM »

Kamala Harris is our first female VP. She is in a unique position. Contrary to what many people on the forum here think about her, I think she has potential that is untapped. And it will forever go untapped because she is in a job that doesn't have much meat to it.

True, she should strive to ace the job of VP to the best of her ability so she can move on to bigger and better jobs.

In light of this, what do you think Kamala should be doing to prove her worth? I personally fail to understand what posters here explicitly want from her.

wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2022, 10:04:52 PM »

Kamala Harris is our first female VP. She is in a unique position. Contrary to what many people on the forum here think about her, I think she has potential that is untapped. And it will forever go untapped because she is in a job that doesn't have much meat to it.

True, she should strive to ace the job of VP to the best of her ability so she can move on to bigger and better jobs.

In light of this, what do you think Kamala should be doing to prove her worth? I personally fail to understand what posters here explicitly want from her.

Her shortcomings in this moment are the same as those of Biden. Sure, her hard power is minimal, but her soft power is much more considerable. Drum up support for structural reforms to Congress and SCOTUS and more innovative ways to outmaneuver GOP obstructionism. On an even more basic level, their response to Dobbs in terms of pure messaging has been nauseatingly calculated. I want to see our leaders displaying some of the genuine emotion and anger people across this country are feeling rather than repeating the same platitudes about the importance of voting.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2022, 10:24:42 PM »

Her shortcomings in this moment are the same as those of Biden. Sure, her hard power is minimal, but her soft power is much more considerable. Drum up support for structural reforms to Congress and SCOTUS and more innovative ways to outmaneuver GOP obstructionism. On an even more basic level, their response to Dobbs in terms of pure messaging has been nauseatingly calculated. I want to see our leaders displaying some of the genuine emotion and anger people across this country are feeling rather than repeating the same platitudes about the importance of voting.

You sound like you are looking for passion in one's occupation. Well, Kamala certainly doesn't look like she has any of that as VP. She is very reserved. Maybe she's hard to get to know. People want an outgoing personality as President? Or do you want a solid human being who cares about people?

I think the problem with politics today is that it has become entertainment. People expect more of our politicians than to just be smart and do their job. After Trump, we also expect our Presidents to be entertainers.

I'm not looking for that personally, and I know a lot of people who aren't. We want good leaders, solid leaders, leaders who care about people. All the people. Too many have been left behind. That's the type of caring that we need in politics today. That's what's been missing. Everything is so cold and calculating. It's boring.

DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2022, 10:46:52 PM »

I often forget that she is the Vice President.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2022, 05:14:26 AM »

I'm no KHiver, but most Vice Presidents are forgettable, that is the point of the Vice Presidency.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2022, 04:12:29 PM »

I'm no KHiver, but most Vice Presidents are forgettable, that is the point of the Vice Presidency.

Biden, Nixon, Gore, Bush Sr., Cheney, Mondale, Humphrey, LBJ, Agnew...not forgettable at all.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2022, 05:01:30 PM »

Biden, Nixon, Gore, Bush Sr., Cheney, Mondale, Humphrey, LBJ, Agnew...not forgettable at all.

Cheney is an exception and maybe a few others but most of those would be forgotten by the public while they were Vice President.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2022, 05:31:48 PM »

Cheney is an exception and maybe a few others but most of those would be forgotten by the public while they were Vice President.

Not true at all.

Beginning in 1960 with Richard Nixon, the Vice Presidency began to be seen as the main vehicle to achieve the Presidency.  Agnew was the favorite in 1976 until his scandals were exposed.  Rockefeller was forced out of the VP slot because he WAS important, not because he wasn't, and because Rockefeller as VP was seen as one who, had he lived and remained VP, would have had the power to preempt Reagan being nominated in 1980.  Mondale was an important figure as the bridge between Carter and the Democratic Left, and was the natural choice in 1984.  Even Quayle cut a major profile; he symbolized the leader of the conservatives in the Bush Administration, he chaired Bush 41's "Competitiveness Council" and the real reason his Presidential bid fell flat was Bush 41's pushing his own son for the job. 
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2022, 02:32:02 PM »

Not true at all.

Beginning in 1960 with Richard Nixon, the Vice Presidency began to be seen as the main vehicle to achieve the Presidency.  Agnew was the favorite in 1976 until his scandals were exposed.  Rockefeller was forced out of the VP slot because he WAS important, not because he wasn't, and because Rockefeller as VP was seen as one who, had he lived and remained VP, would have had the power to preempt Reagan being nominated in 1980.  Mondale was an important figure as the bridge between Carter and the Democratic Left, and was the natural choice in 1984.  Even Quayle cut a major profile; he symbolized the leader of the conservatives in the Bush Administration, he chaired Bush 41's "Competitiveness Council" and the real reason his Presidential bid fell flat was Bush 41's pushing his own son for the job. 
'

And even before that:

Despite their personal differences, Truman and Barkley agreed on most issues.[151] Because of Barkley's legislative experience, Truman insisted his vice president attend cabinet meetings.[41] Barkley chaired the Senate Democratic Policy Committee and attended Truman's weekly legislative conferences.[156] When Congress created the National Security Council, it included the vice president as a member.[157] Barkley acted as the administration's primary spokesperson, making 40 major speeches in his first eight months in office.[157] Truman commissioned the United States Army Institute of Heraldry to create a seal and flag for the vice president, advocated raising his salary, and increased his expense budget.[41][158]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alben_W._Barkley#Vice_presidency_(1949%E2%80%931953)

Truman would naturally have been sensitive to the issue of a Vice President being granted no influence and left out of the loop on major issues.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2022, 02:48:30 PM »

She is a national treasure for pubs.  Maybe that's why they keep her profile low. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2022, 11:27:13 PM »

The 5 previous Democratic VPs (LBJ, Humphrey, Mondale, Gore, and Biden) were all nominated for President, so lets not act like the position doesn't matter.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2022, 12:00:15 AM »

The 5 previous Democratic VPs (LBJ, Humphrey, Mondale, Gore, and Biden) were all nominated for President, so lets not act like the position doesn't matter.

You still don't hear from them much while they are just Vice President and not a presidential candidate. LBJ hated the role and knew how ineffectual it actually was.
SInNYC

« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2022, 01:03:01 PM »

I think Harris is among the dimmer bulbs of the party (though thats still brighter than many in the other party), but I dont see much wrong with this particular clip. Unless I am missing some context, that question could be interpreted many ways as the host herself clarified after Harris' comments.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2022, 03:07:48 PM »

You still don't hear from them much while they are just Vice President and not a presidential candidate. LBJ hated the role and knew how ineffectual it actually was.

LBJ obviously gave up being Senate Majority leader for some reason.

As for Harris, she actually has more to do than most VPs. The only 2 VPs to break her 23 tie breaking votes were 2 term VPs. And Biden managed a full 2 terms without a single tie breaking vote.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2022, 04:08:28 PM »

LBJ obviously gave up being Senate Majority leader for some reason.

As for Harris, she actually has more to do than most VPs. The only 2 VPs to break her 23 tie breaking votes were 2 term VPs. And Biden managed a full 2 terms without a single tie breaking vote.

It was a decisive majority for 1/4, then a reasonable one for half, then a decisive minority in last 1/4...and everything was largely party line.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies