SCOTUS to review "independent state legisilature" theory regarding federal elections next term (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:43:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS to review "independent state legisilature" theory regarding federal elections next term (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SCOTUS to review "independent state legisilature" theory regarding federal elections next term  (Read 2084 times)
Yoda
United States

« on: June 30, 2022, 01:12:26 PM »

This would actually benefit Democrats in some states (New York is the after all the largest state where the state high court invalidated redistricting) so I suspect they'll find some excuse to reject it especially as North Carolina probably doesn't need it if the Republicans control the State Supreme Court next year. Still...yikes.

Yep, if SCOTUS goes through with this I'm looking forward to 6 Bronx-upstate seats and a 51-1 California.

Why not 52-0?
Yoda
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 01:18:53 PM »

This would actually benefit Democrats in some states (New York is the after all the largest state where the state high court invalidated redistricting) so I suspect they'll find some excuse to reject it especially as North Carolina probably doesn't need it if the Republicans control the State Supreme Court next year. Still...yikes.
This is a set up to ‘lol State Legislatures can pick the EC’ so the GOP will never have to lose another presidential election and overturning Reynolds v Sims to allow Republicans to map a permanent legislative majority.

We need to do something about the court. They pretty clearly believe that Democrats will never ever do anything about them whine and tell you to vote harder.

This is truly terrifying. If SCOTUS really gives gerrymandered state legislatures representing the minority the power to ignore the popular vote result in their states I don't think it's hyperbolic to say it really will be the end of this country as we know it. Blue states will literally have no choice but to leave the red states to preserve fair and free elections.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 01:27:12 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/06/30/supreme-court-federal-elections-state-legislatures/

I hope all commissions are abolished. Republicans will love the 52-0 map in Cali along with 9-1 in Washington and 7-1 in Colorado. Add what would be possible in NJ VA NY MN and I don’t think conservatives will be too excited.

MD could easily go 8-0. Not that I think any of this is a good idea. As was pointed out in the other thread, the end goal of republicans with this lawsuit is for gerrymandered republican legislatures in blue and purple states like Wisconsin, NH, Arizona, Georgia, North Carolina, Florida etc to be able to choose their own electors to the EC should the Democratic presidential candidate win the PV in their states. They will literally steal presidential elections.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies