SCOTUS to review "independent state legisilature" theory regarding federal elections next term (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:24:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS to review "independent state legisilature" theory regarding federal elections next term (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SCOTUS to review "independent state legisilature" theory regarding federal elections next term  (Read 2069 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: June 30, 2022, 11:20:40 AM »
« edited: June 30, 2022, 11:35:02 AM by Torie »

I don't see SCOTUS effectively stripping state courts out of the process to apply state law to the conduct of federal elections, now do I see SCOTUS ruling that states have no power to pass their own laws regarding the conduct of federal elections, except though the legislative branch, cutting out both the governor signing or vetoing the legislation, and the state courts from interpreting it.

I think SCOTUS is taking it up to kill it.

I reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks at a time of my own choosing.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3731755

Squibb from the NYT:

In an earlier encounter with the case in March, when the challengers unsuccessfully sought emergency relief, three members of the U.S. Supreme Court said they would have granted the application.

“This case presents an exceptionally important and recurring question of constitutional law, namely, the extent of a state court’s authority to reject rules adopted by a state legislature for use in conducting federal elections,” Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. wrote, joined by Justices Clarence Thomas and Neil M. Gorsuch.

Justice Brett M. Kavanaugh agreed that the question was important. “The issue is almost certain to keep arising until the court definitively resolves it,” he wrote.
But he said the court should consider it in an orderly fashion, he wrote, outside the context of an approaching election. He wrote that the court should grant a petition seeking review on the merits “in an appropriate case — either in this case from North Carolina or in a similar case from another state.”

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies