SurveyUSA poll of North Carolina adults attitudes to abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:21:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SurveyUSA poll of North Carolina adults attitudes to abortion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: SurveyUSA poll of North Carolina adults attitudes to abortion  (Read 1316 times)
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2022, 11:18:55 AM »

20% of youngs not having an opinion is really bad. I hope those crosstabs are wrong.

Personally, I disagree. Why does everyone need to have an opinion on everything?
More informed voters makes for better representatives and election results. Especially considering that today's youth are going to be tomorrow's leaders, it's important that they are well informed, have access to balanced information, and understand the effect that legislation has. Today's legislation might not impact the boomer's in power, but they will impact them.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2022, 11:20:36 AM »

Not really a surprise. Americans largely support access to safe and legal abortion, but favor some restructions such as late term abortions. Kind of sums up my position as well.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2022, 11:23:41 AM »

It's clear from polling that

1. Most people support Roe v. Wade as a concept.
2. Most people also don't know what Roe v. Wade actually did.
This. Clearly this. People are idiots, which makes this kind of issue polling hard.

Also, what a disheartening poll. How on earth does a plurality support abortion restrictions after week 6? That is insane. Most people don't even know they are pregnant at 6 weeks.

Yes they do females miss they cycle if they are pregnant
Pregnancy is counted from the last period, which means that 6 weeks pregnant is really just two weeks from when the woman should have had her last period. Plenty of women have unstable periods and pregnancy tests aren't even that reliable this early. Then after a positive test you want it confirmed by a doctor and then if it is unwanted you want to schedule an abortion immediately. No time to ponder whether you want this lifechanging event to occur or not.

That assumes the pregnancy occurs a day after a woman's last period. While its technically possible peak fertility is usually halfway between periods so in most cases 6 weeks would be about a month after the first missed period. Still quick turn around as far as deciding but its rarely within a week or 2 of the first missed period as menstruation makes fertilization more difficult.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2022, 11:24:23 AM »

Pre-Dobbs, so it’s essentially useless.

A majority of Americans broadly supporting Roe in theory but also narrowly supporting a 6-week ban tells me that most people just do not have a basic understanding of sexual and reproductive education. The majority of women do not know they see pregnant at six weeks.

Or it can tell you that issue polling is useless

It's possible that a lot of them could be personally opposed to abortion but supportive of the right politically. I think this sums up a small chunk of the Dems in Congress, particularly both senators from Virginia. Especially coming from a blue state, it would be near impossible to win a primary especially a Dem one if you weren't willing to hedge or compromise a bit on the issue.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2022, 11:31:59 AM »

Pre-Dobbs, so it’s essentially useless.

A majority of Americans broadly supporting Roe in theory but also narrowly supporting a 6-week ban tells me that most people just do not have a basic understanding of sexual and reproductive education. The majority of women do not know they see pregnant at six weeks.

Or it can tell you that issue polling is useless

It's possible that a lot of them could be personally opposed to abortion but supportive of the right politically. I think this sums up a small chunk of the Dems in Congress, particularly both senators from Virginia. Especially coming from a blue state, it would be near impossible to win a primary especially a Dem one if you weren't willing to hedge or compromise a bit on the issue.

Pretty much all polls show around 60% of Americans have a nuanced middle road position on abortion that opposes both a total ban and a total allowance.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2022, 03:28:02 PM »

I find it interesting that seniors are much more likely than young people to give an "Agree" or "Disagree" answer. This is true all across the board.

Even more interestingly, a plurality of black respondents said they support banning abortion after 6 weeks. Hispanics are noticeably more liberal in their attitudes on it. Though I guess it's because blacks in rural areas tend to be socially moderate-to-conservative and vote blue more because of economic issues, while Hispanics are mostly in urban areas and, like most people in the city, are liberal on cultural/social issues.

There are a lot of Hispanics in rural areas in NC, though they may be harder to poll for various reasons including possibly having less English fluency than those in urban areas.  But also keep in mind the Hispanic & Asian samples are pretty small for this survey so there's a large margin of error for their results.

Rural NC has a high (or even decent-sized) Hispanic population? Colour me surprised.

I'm not sure you can draw a truly rural NC district with much more than 10% total Hispanic population (total, not VAP), but it's definitely possible to draw several districts that encompass urban areas with that much or more quite easily:

Minus those 5 districts, the remainder of the state would work out somewhere in the 7-8% range.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2022, 04:49:33 PM »

20% of youngs not having an opinion is really bad. I hope those crosstabs are wrong.

Personally, I disagree. Why does everyone need to have an opinion on everything?

Indifference towards what happens in somebody's own country, particularly among the young, is another solemn reminder that public education has failed.

People do not have to care about every issue
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2022, 08:16:18 PM »

It's clear from polling that

1. Most people support Roe v. Wade as a concept.
2. Most people also don't know what Roe v. Wade actually did.
This. Clearly this. People are idiots, which makes this kind of issue polling hard.

Also, what a disheartening poll. How on earth does a plurality support abortion restrictions after week 6? That is insane. Most people don't even know they are pregnant at 6 weeks.

Yes they do females miss they cycle if they are pregnant
Pregnancy is counted from the last period, which means that 6 weeks pregnant is really just two weeks from when the woman should have had her last period. Plenty of women have unstable periods and pregnancy tests aren't even that reliable this early. Then after a positive test you want it confirmed by a doctor and then if it is unwanted you want to schedule an abortion immediately. No time to ponder whether you want this lifechanging event to occur or not.

That assumes the pregnancy occurs a day after a woman's last period. While its technically possible peak fertility is usually halfway between periods so in most cases 6 weeks would be about a month after the first missed period. Still quick turn around as far as deciding but its rarely within a week or 2 of the first missed period as menstruation makes fertilization more difficult.
Except that pregnancy is not counted from conception but from the womens last period, so “6 weeks pregnant” actually usually means roughly 4 weeks from conception.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2022, 08:55:24 PM »

Not really a surprise. Americans largely support access to safe and legal abortion, but favor some restructions such as late term abortions. Kind of sums up my position as well.

Yes. The most interesting thing is how some people who hold this view (ie that abortion should be legal within certain limits particularly relating to how far along the pregnancy is) describe themselves as pro choice and how others who hold this view describe themselves as pro life.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2022, 01:20:46 AM »

Indifference towards what happens in somebody's own country, particularly among the young, is another solemn reminder that public education has failed.

You don't have to care about every issue, but you should care about the important ones.

Like it genuinely baffles me that someone can just not have an opinion on abortion of all things.   This isn't corporate tax policy or some niche foreign affairs issue, this is an inherently moral issue that impacts 50% of the population.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2022, 04:55:26 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2022, 05:12:39 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nate-silver-pelosi-fundraising-email-200506134.html

Nate Silver is adding OH, FL as pickups no NC but it's within 3 pts, since Rs on this site think it's gonna be an R sweep 241 H and 54RS and R plus 4)9 pts no it's not

When Ds finally have DC statehood In 22/24/26 whichever comes first Rs will be alright the S maps fave 303 map but we can win the H in either of those Edays, the Rs aren't getting 241 seats  and never will again a decade long Supermajority
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2022, 07:33:10 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2022, 07:37:18 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Just note the user predictions doesn't block you from going beyond 303 it's a 538 map as Nate Silver points out in the Article not 303 and Ryan and Manchin have  never lost a race and Beshear or Brown they have Strickland appeal, in red Appalachian
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2022, 09:56:21 AM »

You don't have to care about every issue, but you should care about the important ones.

Like it genuinely baffles me that someone can just not have an opinion on abortion of all things.   This isn't corporate tax policy or some niche foreign affairs issue, this is an inherently moral issue that impacts 50% of the population.

Taxes probably is an easier question to answer since they are usually framed as “should taxes be cut” , “should the rich pay more in taxes “. While yes tax policy is way more complicated than this , the question is framed in an extremely simple way so people are able to answer it more .
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2022, 01:45:08 PM »

What if the 20% have conflicted feelings? Won't forcing people to take a stand on extremely divisive issues just divide the nation more?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2022, 01:50:52 PM »

NC is an odd state. I view it sort of like Florida and Ohio. For all the gains and margins Democrats can run up in Raleigh and Charlotte, most of rural NC has shifted strongly to the GOP since Trump came along. I think you'll see Republicans winning the state by 2-4% in most national elections, but Democrats like Roy Cooper will continue to be popular.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies