Does anyone seriously think DeSantis can win?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:42:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Does anyone seriously think DeSantis can win?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Does anyone seriously think DeSantis can win?  (Read 1520 times)
MiddleRoad
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 29, 2022, 05:12:24 PM »

I don’t.

DeSantis has all the charisma and likability of a wet sock. He’s humorless, dour, as much of a charisma vacuum as Jeb Bush.

Say what you will about Trump, but you’ve gotta give him credit at least for being persuasive, funny, charismatic. He may not be a good man, or even that effective politically, but he’s got an infectious and charismatic persona.

Obama, similarly, was commanding, charismatic, a true leader just by the power of his oratory

DeSantis is even less appealing than Biden in terms of his personality. He’s got a whiny nasal voice, he’s dis likable; he’s seen as the “Don’t Say Gay” guy. His only support is from die hard Republicans; Trump had the support of anti establishment independents and people who would’ve been say Perot voters back in the 90s.

How can DeSantis win, even against a weakened Biden?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 05:34:47 PM »

Trump is only persuasive to idiots, only funny unintentionally, and only charismatic to psychopaths.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 05:39:10 PM »

He can definitely win the nomination and if Biden remains this unpopular, he’d have a very good chance of winning the general too.
MiddleRoad
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 05:51:20 PM »

Trump is only persuasive to idiots, only funny unintentionally, and only charismatic to psychopaths.

I think you can hate someone and still give them credit where it’s due.

IE, Richard Nixon may have been corrupt as all hell, but he was also insanely intelligent

IE Joe Biden may be corrupt and morally disgusting, but he at one time had a folksy charm which made him seem like an “Average Joe”
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 06:05:55 PM »

I don’t.

DeSantis has all the charisma and likability of a wet sock. He’s humorless, dour, as much of a charisma vacuum as Jeb Bush.

Say what you will about Trump, but you’ve gotta give him credit at least for being persuasive, funny, charismatic.

No, I do not. Trump babbles garbage and nonsense, appeals to peoples' worst instincts, and what little humor he attempts is feces-flinging and kicking down.  Donnie Dumb**** the traitor is in a better position to lose the 2024 election for the GOP than any other candidate.
MiddleRoad
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 06:15:40 PM »

I don’t.

Say what you will about Trump, but you’ve gotta give him credit at least for being persuasive, funny, charismatic.

No, I do not. Trump babbles garbage and nonsense, appeals to peoples' worst instincts, and what little humor he attempts is feces-flinging and kicking down.  Donnie Dumb**** the traitor is in a better position to lose the 2024 election for the GOP than any other candidate.

Would say 72 million disagree with you
MiddleRoad
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 06:22:28 PM »

I don’t.

How many of those 72 million would have also voted for any other Republican nominee, though?

Considering you had 4 years of Trump’s record to go by at that point, I’d say most probably voted for Trump, not against Biden. If he were a generic Republican I’d be more inclined to agree
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2022, 06:37:42 PM »

I don’t.

81 million disagree with you.
MiddleRoad
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2022, 06:41:30 PM »

I don’t.

Sounds like a divided country.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2022, 06:43:09 PM »

I don’t.

Well obviously it is, but 81 million is obviously higher than Trump’s 2020 total of 74 million.
MiddleRoad
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2022, 06:44:50 PM »

I don’t.

Well obviously it is, but 81 million is obviously higher than Trump’s 2020 total of 74 million.

My point was that you don’t have to like Trump to agree he’s charismatic, which was a pretty fair point.
Utah Neolib
YaBB God
Antarctica

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2022, 06:48:18 PM »

I don’t.

My point was that you don’t have to like Trump to agree he’s charismatic, which was a pretty fair point.
I agree, and DeSantis isn’t particularly charismatic.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2022, 06:53:28 PM »

I don’t.

I agree, and DeSantis isn’t particularly charismatic.

Charisma isn't everything. At least twice in my lifetime, the charismatic candidate actually lost the popular vote.

2020 primaries saw many charismatic faces ultimately not even make it to Iowa.
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2022, 07:05:14 PM »

The thing with DeSantis is, regardless of weather or not you agree with him on policy (I don’t) but regardless of weather or not you do, he just isn’t likeable and someone you want to “see” as president
MiddleRoad
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2022, 07:25:07 PM »

The thing with DeSantis is, regardless of weather or not you agree with him on policy (I don’t) but regardless of weather or not you do, he just isn’t likeable and someone you want to “see” as president

Exactly my point. He reminds me a lot of Al Gore (who I think should’ve been President) in the charisma department
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2022, 07:35:07 PM »

DeSantis is going to be the nominee, and I think he'll win against Biden or Harris. We need to run a better candidate.
MiddleRoad
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2022, 07:35:58 PM »

DeSantis is going to be the nominee, and I think he'll win against Biden or Harris. We need to run a better candidate.

Biden will win against DeSantis. Don’t kid yourself.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2022, 07:37:30 PM »

Biden will win against DeSantis. Don’t kid yourself.

Look at Biden, and look at DeSantis. Who do you think excites voters more?
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2022, 07:42:12 PM »

I don’t.

You  claimed he was "persuasive, funny, charismatic" which he is emphatically not.

From dictionary.com
Charismatic is used to describe people who have an outgoing, energetic, and likable personality that seems to naturally draw other people to them.

Charismatic is the adjective form of the noun charisma, which refers to the magnetic and charming personal quality that draws people to someone. A person with charisma is thought to be able to easily influence others.

Charismatic is most often used in a positive way as a compliment, but it can also be applied to people who influence others in a negative way, such as a charismatic cult leader.

The word is also used in a more specific way to refer to Christians who pursue ecstatic or trancelike religious experiences (like speaking in tongues) that are outside of more mainstream beliefs.

Donnie Dumb**** does indeed seem to be able to influence some people, primarily by appealing to their worst impulses. That makes him a hate- and fear-monger, not charismatic. He is a shameless liar and con-artist. That makes him a sociopath and a crook, not charismatic. Trump is able to fool the credulous. That makes him a charlatan, not charismatic.

Charisma does not equate to goodness. But it does involve charm and grace, neither of which ex-President Pussygrabber possesses in the slightest. In the future, Republicans may lie to themselves that it was Trump's charisma that caused them to support such awfulness, but they will be lying to themselves then, much as they do now.

(If you want to argue that Trump is "charismatic" in that he gibbers nonsense while mangling Christianity, I'll give you a technical win, but I do not think that is how you meant it.)
MiddleRoad
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2022, 07:49:30 PM »

I don’t.

You  claimed he was "persuasive, funny, charismatic" which he is emphatically not.

From dictionary.com
Charismatic is used to describe people who have an outgoing, energetic, and likable personality that seems to naturally draw other people to them.

Charismatic is the adjective form of the noun charisma, which refers to the magnetic and charming personal quality that draws people to someone. A person with charisma is thought to be able to easily influence others.

Charismatic is most often used in a positive way as a compliment, but it can also be applied to people who influence others in a negative way, such as a charismatic cult leader.

The word is also used in a more specific way to refer to Christians who pursue ecstatic or trancelike religious experiences (like speaking in tongues) that are outside of more mainstream beliefs.

Donnie Dumb**** does indeed seem to be able to influence some people, primarily by appealing to their worst impulses. That makes him a hate- and fear-monger, not charismatic. He is a shameless liar and con-artist. That makes him a sociopath and a crook, not charismatic. Trump is able to fool the credulous. That makes him a charlatan, not charismatic.

Charisma does not equate to goodness. But it does involve charm and grace, neither of which ex-President Pussygrabber possesses in the slightest. In the future, Republicans may lie to themselves that it was Trump's charisma that caused them to support such awfulness, but they will be lying to themselves then, much as they do now.

(If you want to argue that Trump is "charismatic" in that he gibbers nonsense while mangling Christianity, I'll give you a technical win, but I do not think that is how you meant it.)

He influenced millions of people to vote for him twice.

Also, would argue most politicians are shameless liars and that anyone who seeks the Presidency is likely a sociopath, like most leaders.

You can’t bend and twist charisma to mean what you want it. Hitler was charismatic and was able to draw a nation to atrocity. Charismatic is not being used here to substitute for “morally good.” A person can be evil and still have charisma; that’s how most sociopaths and narcissists succeed in life
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2022, 07:53:08 PM »

Exactly my point. He reminds me a lot of Al Gore (who I think should’ve been President) in the charisma department

He also just pisses ppl off very easily, even when he does not deserve ppl being pissed off at him (there have been a few instances where this happened)
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2022, 08:14:17 PM »

I don’t.

From dictionary.com

He influenced millions of people to vote for him twice.

Also, would argue most politicians are shameless liars and that anyone who seeks the Presidency is likely a sociopath, like most leaders.

You can’t bend and twist charisma to mean what you want it. Hitler was charismatic and was able to draw a nation to atrocity. Charismatic is not being used here to substitute for “morally good.” A person can be evil and still have charisma; that’s how most sociopaths and narcissists succeed in life

"You can’t bend and twist charisma to mean what you want it [to]" is rather my point. If Trump were actually charismatic, he would have easily won re-election (among other things). Most of his voters would vote for a rubber pile of dog feces if it had an (R) after it - that they also voted for him says nothing about his charisma. That he lied more shamelessly and extensively than his competitors for the nomination is, again not charisma. He is capable of reading a crowd of suckers, and telling them what they want  to hear. He has a very real talent for that; he is a gifted charlatan. Someone who appeals to a carefully vetted audience,  yet reliably makes half (or more) of a generic audience despise him is not charismatic.

And to return to the original topic, there is nothing to indicate at this point that Trump is more electable than DeSantis. DeSantis can put (R) after his name just as well as Trump. DeSantis' lies and appeals to base instincts will be in complete sentences. And, unlikely Trump, DeStantis will not automatically drive half the population to the polls to oppose him.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2022, 07:01:36 AM »

I don’t.

Say what you will about Trump, but you’ve gotta give him credit at least for being persuasive, funny, charismatic. He may not be a good man, or even that effective politically, but he’s got an infectious and charismatic persona.

Obama, similarly, was commanding, charismatic, a true leader just by the power of his oratory

DeSantis is even less appealing than Biden in terms of his personality. He’s got a whiny nasal voice, he’s dis likable; he’s seen as the “Don’t Say Gay” guy. His only support is from die hard Republicans; Trump had the support of anti establishment independents and people who would’ve been say Perot voters back in the 90s.

How can DeSantis win, even against a weakened Biden?
I agree with all of this. Every time I see DeSantis I'm left wondering how on earth this guy is seen as the heir apparent of the GQP.

If he really wins the presidency in 2024 he would be the least charismatic since GHWB and he's pretty unlikable as well. Joe Biden is often criticized for being uncharismatic, but he is very likable and someone America generally feels at ease with since he's been around forever and was Obamas VP for 8 years.

Joe Biden: Uncharismatic but likable.
Donald Trump: Highly charismatic, not likable.
Barack Obama: Highly charismatic, quite likable.
George W. Bush: Somewhat charismatic and very likable.
Bill Clinton: Highly charismatic and very likable.
George H.W.Bush: Neither charismatic or particularly likable. Mostly benefitted from being seen as competent and had a solid reputation as RR's VP.
Ronald Reagan: Highly charismatic and likable.
Jimmy Carter: Not charismatic but very likable.
Gerald Ford: Not charismatic. Probably neutral on likability.
Richard Nixon: Neither charismatic nor likable, but seen as highly competent.
Lyndon Johnson: Neither charismatic nor likable, but seen as highly competent.
John F. Kennedy: Highly charismatic and likable.

Going back further is probably pointless.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2022, 08:19:22 AM »

Yes but that is “charisma”.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2022, 08:23:37 AM »

If he wins, he is going to be a disaster for Republicans downballot outside of maybe Florida.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies