Nuclear engineer arrested for being part of 1/6 attack on capitol
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:08:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Nuclear engineer arrested for being part of 1/6 attack on capitol
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Nuclear engineer arrested for being part of 1/6 attack on capitol  (Read 682 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 29, 2022, 04:30:36 PM »

Nuclear engineer here in Rhode Island arrested by FBI today for being one of the 1/6 attackers who broke the barricade on video tape and assaulted police officers.

https://www.wpri.com/target-12/fbi-arrests-ri-man-tied-to-jan-6-attack
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 04:44:19 PM »

“if he participated in the protest that’s OK.”

“This is someone I worked with for years and I have a sense of his character,” he told the newspaper. “We don’t see him as a threat.”
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 06:34:59 PM »

I actually appreciate stories like this because it shines a light on the fact that anybody is capable of being an unstable lunatic. Trump cultists are not actually always "blue collar." That should actually make us even more terrified when they are in occupations like this.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 06:35:33 PM »

In the video attached to the story, the guy looks like he is exiting the court house, when the media attempts to question him. He is in shorts. Who on Earth would go to court in shorts? He is "nuclear engineer" and the guy does not have the money to own some decent clothes, or have the smarts to know that you don't go to court wearing shorts?
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2022, 06:36:11 PM »

I actually appreciate stories like this because it shines a light on the fact that anybody is capable of being an unstable lunatic. Trump cultists are not actually always "blue collar." That should actually make us even more terrified when they are in occupations like this.

There was a news article which took a look at the demographics of the Trump Voter, and many of them are actually well educated, and well off. I forgot exactly the article Link, but it was so interesting.
MiddleRoad
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2022, 06:44:07 PM »

In the video attached to the story, the guy looks like he is exiting the court house, when the media attempts to question him. He is in shorts. Who on Earth would go to court in shorts? He is "nuclear engineer" and the guy does not have the money to own some decent clothes, or have the smarts to know that you don't go to court wearing shorts?

Who wears shorts in January?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 06:44:59 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2022, 07:24:36 PM by Meclazine »

it shines a light on the fact that anybody is capable of being an unstable lunatic

There is hope for me yet.

Whilst driving to the freight company yesterday, I saw a homeless dude playing a Charlie Chapin mime out on the road in front of an intersection full of cars. He was pulling clown faces and pointing at the drivers, who were amused temporarily, and when the light went green, he ran off with a funny clown walk.

He was the same age as me, and I thought "That looks like fun" because it was.

Why can't I be like that guy?
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2022, 06:48:56 PM »

There was a news article which took a look at the demographics of the Trump Voter, and many of them are actually well educated, and well off. I forgot exactly the article Link, but it was so interesting.

Well yes, because the average Trump voter is basically just an average pre-Trump Republican voter, with all the country-club suburban elitism that includes.

I do think there is something to be said for the fact the *new voters* that Trump has brought into the Republican party are probably on average more working-class than the Republican voters that supported Romney or George W Bush, but the vast majority of Republicans who supported Bush and Romney are still Republicans today, and they make up the vast majority of Trump supporters.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2022, 06:55:22 PM »

Well yes, because the average Trump voter is basically just an average pre-Trump Republican voter, with all the country-club suburban elitism that includes.

I do think there is something to be said for the fact the *new voters* that Trump has brought into the Republican party are probably on average more working-class than the Republican voters that supported Romney or George W Bush, but the vast majority of Republicans who supported Bush and Romney are still Republicans today, and they make up the vast majority of Trump supporters.

Yes, but an engineer?
How does someone with that level of education/smarts, believe in the BS "stolen election" conspiracies, to the extent you go to DC, and break into the Capitol and hurt security officers around/in the grounds?
It's just so astonishing.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2022, 07:18:12 PM »

Yes, but an engineer?
How does someone with that level of education/smarts, believe in the BS "stolen election" conspiracies, to the extent you go to DC, and break into the Capitol and hurt security officers around/in the grounds?

American Liberal arts education is not that great you know ? Those engineers they specialize early on; so they don't get to take the history, political science classes,

Even people with " liberal arts " degrees, education quality is not that great.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2022, 07:25:06 PM »

Sounds smart enough to be a future high-ranking appointment in the next regime.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2022, 07:27:03 PM »

Sounds smart enough to be a future high-ranking appointment in the next regime.

Russian "regime" ... yes.
MiddleRoad
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2022, 07:37:07 PM »

Yes, but an engineer?

A college degree is no indicator of intelligence
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2022, 07:42:39 PM »

Yes, but an engineer?

A college degree is no indicator of intelligence

Correct. But even more apt a college degree, even Advanced degree, is no indicator of wisdom or common sense.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2022, 08:22:51 PM »

A Don doesn't wear shorts.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2022, 09:39:08 PM »

I think it was clear to everyone who paid attention in the immediate aftermath of 1/6 that the participants (both violent and non-violent) represented a broad cross-section of (white) America. These were people who traveled from far and wide to participate in a political event out of their own pocket, and many were staying in luxury hotels.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2022, 10:01:43 PM »

it shines a light on the fact that anybody is capable of being an unstable lunatic

Whilst driving to the freight company yesterday, I saw a homeless dude playing a Charlie Chapin mime out on the road in front of an intersection full of cars. He was pulling clown faces and pointing at the drivers, who were amused temporarily, and when the light went green, he ran off with a funny clown walk.

There are homeless people in Australia? I thought America was the only developed country that had those.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2022, 10:48:43 AM »

Yes, but an engineer?

It's not astonishing. Plenty of "smart" people are idiots. I've encountered doctors who believe in the chemtrails & lizard people conspiracy theories.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2022, 11:59:35 AM »

The stereotype of Trump supporters as "poor" or "rural" or "hillbillies living in trailers in the mountains of Appalachia" is one of the most irritating tropes Online Democrats resort to. They don't even understand who their opposition is.

Many of the capitol rioters were doxxed in the days and weeks following the incident. There were plenty of doctors, lawyers, real estate agents, business owners, and corporate managers. They had the time and money to fly to DC (some even flew on private jets).

And historically speaking, reactionary movements are nearly always a middle-to-upper-middle-class phenomenon. That's the segment of society that has enough people in it to fuel "popular" movements ("real" elites and aristocrats are so few in number that if they all got together to protest, it wouldn't even fill a stadium). They are economically comfortable enough that they can spend time and money on political pursuits, but feel squeezed by the elites above them (who often look down their noses at them for being new money or too uncouth) and the proles below them (who they resent and see as living off government largesse at their expense).
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2022, 06:17:39 PM »

Non-violent protestors should not be prosecuted
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2022, 06:18:11 PM »

There are homeless people in Australia? I thought America was the only developed country that had those.

U.K. is really bad. Europe has the Roma.

A lot of Aboriginal people in rural towns in Australia are essentially homeless.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2022, 06:26:12 PM »

No one disputes that, genius, but the point is this guy was anything but non-violent.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2022, 06:30:08 PM »

Yes, but an engineer?

Most of the problem with misinformation has far less with the misinformation itself vs people just wanting to have a source that validates the beliefs they already have .

Similarly this guy probably didn’t want to believe Trump could lose so the stolen election conspiracy just validated the beliefs he already had
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2022, 06:35:23 PM »

No one disputes that, genius, but the point is this guy was anything but non-violent.
But like 90% of the people who stormed the Capitol were not violent, they simply walked into a building.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2022, 07:34:35 PM »

But like 90% of the people who stormed the Capitol were not violent, they simply walked into a building.

They still committed a crime.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies