Ketanji Brown Jackson to be sworn in tomorrow
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:24:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ketanji Brown Jackson to be sworn in tomorrow
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Ketanji Brown Jackson to be sworn in tomorrow  (Read 957 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2022, 10:17:49 PM »

And just like that, African Americans are over-represented on the Supreme Court by nearly double their actual proportion of the US population.

No? It's about right now.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2022, 10:19:55 PM »

And just like that, African Americans are over-represented on the Supreme Court by nearly double their actual proportion of the US population.

No? It's about right now.
22.222....% of the Supreme Court, and they make up 14.2% of the US population per last Census. So proportionately that would equal just one justice.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2022, 10:20:52 PM »

Yeah I forgot about Thomas. My bad.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2022, 10:25:53 PM »

You know, I think KBJ may actually be the first ever evangelical on the court.

I've seen Rehnquist sometimes cited as such, but he was actually a lifelong Lutheran and belonged to the ELCA, although I'd imagine if he had been born 30 years later he would've converted to a more conservative Lutheran church like Missouri Synod had he not just become an outright evangelical or (as is kind of often the case for "intellectual" conservatives like him now) converted to Catholicism.

I guess you could argue that Hugo Black was sort of an evangelical in terms of denominational affiliation stretched to today but that seems a bit odd since people would associate an evangelical of the era to be more someone like William Jennings Bryan (even though he was actually a Presbyterian and his affiliation traces to the mainline PCUSA today.)
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2022, 10:53:10 PM »

I've seen Rehnquist sometimes cited as such, but he was actually a lifelong Lutheran and belonged to the ELCA, although I'd imagine if he had been born 30 years later he would've converted to a more conservative Lutheran church like Missouri Synod had he not just become an outright evangelical or (as is kind of often the case for "intellectual" conservatives like him now) converted to Catholicism.

I guess you could argue that Hugo Black was sort of an evangelical in terms of denominational affiliation stretched to today but that seems a bit odd since people would associate an evangelical of the era to be more someone like William Jennings Bryan (even though he was actually a Presbyterian and his affiliation traces to the mainline PCUSA today.)

In before certain posters label her a fake Christian.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2022, 11:01:44 PM »

I hope she's actually good and not another Kagan.

What's wrong with Kagan?
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2022, 03:15:29 AM »

Jews are at the lowest point we've been at on the court since 1994.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2022, 06:51:47 AM »
« Edited: July 01, 2022, 06:56:23 AM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Jews are at the lowest point we've been at on the court since 1994.

Obama,, Reid and Biden got KAGEN because Scalia said out KAGEN and Ginsberg and Breyer on the Crt all three were close to Scalia, now he is DEAD, the D's can put more females of color on the CRT, which includes Appeals Crt since there won't be any vacancies for at least 8/15 yrs Alito and Thomas can last to

That's why despite philosophy, Ginsberg, Breyer and KAGEN respected Scalia

Obama didn't make any attempts except Latino or Asians to diversify the Crts, we all remember Sotomayor
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2022, 07:13:49 AM »

Just gonna assume here: https://youtu.be/sv9UZHKg9o0?t=109
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2022, 08:43:02 AM »

Well, White men have been overrepresented on the Supreme Court since it's inception. So, things can start to balance out.
MiddleRoad
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2022, 08:55:24 AM »

Well, White men have been overrepresented on the Supreme Court since it's inception. So, things can start to balance out.

So when your side says equity, it’s really not about “justice” or “equality”…It’s “balancing the scales”…but not really balancing them for your lot (the left), is it? Just taking them from being titled in one direction, and tilting it in the other. That’s the left’s idea of “balance.” And now, thank you, you’ve just confirmed for me that “representation” doesn’t mean a “level playing field.” And demolishing white supremacy doesn’t mean equality. It just means putting someone else at the top of the ladder, instead.

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2022, 09:27:38 AM »

So when your side says equity, it’s really not about “justice” or “equality”…It’s “balancing the scales”…but not really balancing them for your lot (the left), is it? Just taking them from being titled in one direction, and tilting it in the other. That’s the left’s idea of “balance.” And now, thank you, you’ve just confirmed for me that “representation” doesn’t mean a “level playing field.” And demolishing white supremacy doesn’t mean equality. It just means putting someone else at the top of the ladder, instead.

That's a made-up argument, imho. What is she taking away from who? Exact proportional representation is hardly possible with just 9 seats available. There has never been a black woman on the bench, while white men have made up the entire court for like 200 years when the American population was never 100% white men. At some time, blacks were even considered 3/5 of the population.

I think the whining about "liberals want to punish whites and elevate minorities to take away white privileges" is quite tiresome and just a lazy argument.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2022, 12:58:24 PM »

The Supreme Court isn't supposed to be or intended to be demographically representative anyway. It's just an interesting trivia bit.
MiddleRoad
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2022, 01:08:47 PM »

Definitely the biggest part of Biden's legacy so far. We at least have three Supreme Court seats solidified for another decade or two. That's still worth Biden being President during this energy/inflation crisis. The Supreme Court is equally as important as winning the presidency and Congress now. Forget trifectas, if a President (particularly a Democrat) wants to get anything done they need a quadfecta now.

Historic moment for Black women in America. Congratulations.

Its unfortunate that the first Black Woman justice is unable to define what a woman is, though

I think this is the first time in the history of this forum that someone made a worse post in a thread than SirWoodbury. Congratulations!

At her confirmation hearings she said she couldn’t define what a woman is as she’s not a biologist

Well, what do you say a woman is? There are many different types of answers to this question.

Human with two X chromosomes who has passed the period of puberty. Pretty easy

Women with androgen insensitivity syndrome (XY) or Turner Syndrome (just an X) aren't women in your eyes? It's just not always as simple as the XX/XY dichotomy we learned about in high school.

People with the former are not women, they are genetically male. The latter are genetically female, so, they’re female
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2022, 01:59:10 PM »

Definitely the biggest part of Biden's legacy so far. We at least have three Supreme Court seats solidified for another decade or two. That's still worth Biden being President during this energy/inflation crisis. The Supreme Court is equally as important as winning the presidency and Congress now. Forget trifectas, if a President (particularly a Democrat) wants to get anything done they need a quadfecta now.

Historic moment for Black women in America. Congratulations.

Its unfortunate that the first Black Woman justice is unable to define what a woman is, though

I think this is the first time in the history of this forum that someone made a worse post in a thread than SirWoodbury. Congratulations!

At her confirmation hearings she said she couldn’t define what a woman is as she’s not a biologist

Well, what do you say a woman is? There are many different types of answers to this question.

Human with two X chromosomes who has passed the period of puberty. Pretty easy

Women with androgen insensitivity syndrome (XY) or Turner Syndrome (just an X) aren't women in your eyes? It's just not always as simple as the XX/XY dichotomy we learned about in high school.

People with the former are not women, they are genetically male. The latter are genetically female, so, they’re female

So it’s not a requirement to have two X chromosomes? You should tell the other guy in this quote chain.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2022, 02:00:15 PM »

Anyway, I’m not sure how much of a chance we’ll have to see whether Jackson is more moderate or more to the left unless we start getting some 7-2 or 8-1 decisions.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2022, 02:34:43 PM »

Another fun fact: All Democratic appointed justices are now women. Nominated by two men who twice ran as a ticket. "O'Biden" has Trump nicknamed them.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2022, 04:21:03 PM »

Anyway, I’m not sure how much of a chance we’ll have to see whether Jackson is more moderate or more to the left unless we start getting some 7-2 or 8-1 decisions.
One test might be the case about a web designer refusing to create a website advertising a same-sex wedding. It's obvious who's going to win and it's just a retread of the wedding cake case but that one was 7-2, Breyer and Kagan ruled in the majority and RBG was still on the Court then. Sotomayor is thus the last remaining dissenter. Jackson may join her for another 7-2 or she could join the majority for an 8-1.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2022, 06:38:07 PM »

When people talk about black representation on the Supreme Court, or any representation, it has more to do with how they'll likely bring a perspective that reflects an important demographic who will be affected by rulings by the court. Thomas, on the surface, was supposed to be this for the black community, but has undermined their interests time and time again. So that's why we have another member of the community now, and a female one at that. Black women particularly, as society often demonstrates, can have the most to lose in certain rulings. So it is indeed a means of equity.

I hope I'm not treading into problematic territory by saying that, but I think it's as plain as a window is clear that Clarence Thomas is not embraced by or considered representative of black Americans' political interests beyond being one himself.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2022, 07:56:31 PM »

When people talk about black representation on the Supreme Court, or any representation, it has more to do with how they'll likely bring a perspective that reflects an important demographic who will be affected by rulings by the court. Thomas, on the surface, was supposed to be this for the black community, but has undermined their interests time and time again. So that's why we have another member of the community now, and a female one at that. Black women particularly, as society often demonstrates, can have the most to lose in certain rulings. So it is indeed a means of equity.

I hope I'm not treading into problematic territory by saying that, but I think it's as plain as a window is clear that Clarence Thomas is not embraced by or considered representative of black Americans' political interests beyond being one himself.
No, you're fine. I'm a Black man and you're correct in your assessment.

Clarence Thomas is disliked by (probably) most Black people in America. It's a shame that he replaced Thurgood Marshall. One of Bush 41's worst decisions.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2022, 06:21:02 PM »

No, you're fine. I'm a Black man and you're correct in your assessment.

Clarence Thomas is disliked by (probably) most Black people in America. It's a shame that he replaced Thurgood Marshall. One of Bush 41's worst decisions.

The absolute biggest Supreme Court downgrade until Coney-Barrett.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2022, 06:26:38 PM »

Biden helped out Thomas on the Crt everyone on the Judicial Committee approved Thomas on an affirmative vote to advance to the Floor except for Paul Simon and even Teddy Kennedy approved Thomas to the Floor but ended up voting against Thomas and Biden was Chairman of the Judiciary Committee

Also, Thomas and Alito both went to Yale with Hillary Clinton

There were reasons why Biden advanced Thomas to the Floor and Teddy Kennedy despite Anita Hill
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2022, 01:13:44 PM »

Yeah, it's important to note that Barrett is still a Catholic despite what some trad types think about that whole Pentecostal-influenced Charismatic Catholic movement.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2022, 01:15:15 PM »

Do you have an actual point?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2022, 05:33:21 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2022, 05:37:58 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Her nomination is gonna only matter if D's win in Nov or in 24 and pass progressive laws DC Statehood and Voting Rights where Judicial REVIEW IS GONNA MATTER, baring that the Crt is gonna stay clearly to the center right if Rs regain and control the H for a long time

That's we must win in November not next time because so many R Senators in a Prez map are up in purple states, we didn't take advantage in 2016/ LOL HILLARY

ITS VBM ITS NOT SAME DAY VOTING LAST TIME IT TOOK TIME TO COUNT BALLOTS

FL NC are the first battlefield and then PA, NH, them WI, OH,  MI, IA and TX and NY and then NV, Cali and AK

I don't know what's gonna happen in KY they refuse to poll that state but if Charles Booker stay within 11 he can pull off the upset
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies