The Raging Storm - Sign Up and Rules Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:56:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Raging Storm - Sign Up and Rules Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: The Raging Storm - Sign Up and Rules Thread  (Read 13307 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« on: June 28, 2022, 08:46:52 PM »
« edited: August 06, 2023, 11:28:04 PM by Lumine »

The Gathering Storm, Redux
Diplomacy, War and Intrigue in the world of 1933

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

The Year is 1933.

It has been almost fifteen years since the end of the World War, and the signing of the Treaty of Versailles.

The Roaring Twenties, having once held such promise, have collapsed in tears amidst unprecedented global economic strife, with a Great Depression that most nations are still struggling to abandon.

Having redrawn the borders of Europe, the Treaty of Versailles and its associated arrangements remains highly controversial for many, a permanent source of tension between old and new states.

After being on the rise, democracy is under siege as authoritarian - or totalitarian - regimes rise up with unexpected strength.

Once the dominant powers of the world, the colonial nations finds themselves increasingly at odds with their subjects, as the calls for independence are just starting to emerge.

Despite its best attempts, the League of Nations struggles to maintain peace within the international stage.

The future, seemingly, is open to endless alternatives, many of them no longer optimistic.

In such a complex era of strife and chaos, can you and your nation find success?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

An Explanation:

This is a remake of The Gathering Storm, originally set in 1939. Upon careful reflection of the game, I conclude that by setting the start too late into the decade I unintentionally left things a bit too restrictive, making it too easy to benefit from and to avoid hindsight. On the other hand, starting at any point in the decade also risked the same result, since the spectre of our World War 2 and how it developed would be ever present. Thus, I decided to draw some inspiration from a game of mine hosted long ago (The Sword of Damocles). While we will be starting a standard nation game on January 1933, the added twist is that players will be allowed to choose between a historical start or a customized one for their respective countries (realistic and ideally a result of short-term changes), upon request and approval.

Basic Rules:

1. Turns: We will play yearly turns lasting for a week in real time, with a midturn on the fourth day marking the separation between the "Early" (winter and spring) and "Late" (summer and autumn/fall) portions of the year, all starting on January 1st, 1933. The yearly turns will last until the beginning of world-wide armed conflict, in which case we will enter a special war mode with shorter and more intense turns.

2. Messages: The GM must be included on all PM's sent by players, and/or be informed of the internal talks that are taking place. Given the nature of the period, players can request formal international conferences between players or NPCs, which will be simulated (player's choice) via PM, an open discussion thread, or a Discord chat. No formal part of the game will be outsourced to Discord, but the existing Game Discussion Server will be used for information, debates, and rapid questions.

3. Historical Simulation: We will be using the dice system for various player decisions, events and warfare, accounting for advantages or disadvantages if necessary. Although there will be significant room for flexibility, players will be encouraged to remain within the grounds of plausibility, and the GM may override decisions which are found to be too out of character (Example: a USSR-led Stalin calling for immediate, free and fair elections). There will be special events or announcements as certain situations arise, including historical and fictional crises.

4. Hindsight: One of the potential problems associated with the game is having the benefit of hindsight given the wealth of knowledge about the lead up to WWII. Although this cannot be addressed directly, the GM will look carefully at orders or decisions that could only be made with hindsight (Example: a player orders X piece of equipment out of production because it was eventually known to be deficient).

5. Stats and Warfare: The stats for each player will be focused on "Popularity", "Economic Status", and "Mobilization Levels" (the latter of which sacrifices economic standing in favor of military readiness or efficiency), which are fairly self explanatory. Warfare will be abstract as opposed to forcing players to micromanage their armies with specific numbers, but players may be as detailed as they wish with their orders.

6. Declaring War and Real Time Simulation: This is IMPORTANT.

• A. Declarations of War or Invasion orders are processed and executed immediately, with a corresponding event stating that X country has invaded Y. This will force players to react within the turn, as opposed to a "gambit pileup" of sorts taking place on the end of turn. This, however, does not prevent countries from being overrun with a successful invasion like in RL.
  • B. Players may not order an invasion of another player within the last 24 hours of a turn, to prevent people from being unable to react to an enemy invasion or strike.

6. Game Over: Game Over can come in four ways: Surrendering or being deposed by another player in an invasion, being deposed in a coup or revolt, being assassinated without a clear designated heir, or losing an election. Players in democratic nations may be able to continue playing after the voluntary resignation or term-limit of their original character, if the designated successor wins the election or retains the parliamentary majority.

7. Intelligence: Players may make use of their respective intelligence services for intrigue or espionage purposes.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 08:47:29 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2022, 06:19:47 PM by Lumine »

Customization:

As outlined in the introduction, and based on The Sword of Damocles, players will be able to select nations to play them under a historical start, or a "customized one", based on short-term changes to our history to result in a different leader, within reason. What I would ask, however, is that said requests are as close to 1933 as possible in terms of changes to the timeline. The point of this is to add greater flexibility and reduce the chances of hindsight being too much of a problem. Though the early start date should certainly help, the option is there if someone wants to take it. Here are a few suggestions that might be allowed:

Examples:

-German Reich: A player may choose to play historical (Hitler), or perhaps a different Hindenburg appointed Chancellor (Papen, Schleicher, etc.), among other options.
-United States: A player may choose to play historical (FDR), or a different President just recently elected in the 1932 Presidential Election.
-UK: A player may choose to play historical (MacDonald), an earlier succession by Stanley Baldwin or a plausible Conservative (National Government), or as a Labour PM in a world without a National Government.
-France:A player may choose to play historical (Daladier), or a different PM based on the 1932 French election.
-Japan: Japan is a special case given the complexity of how its government worked, giving a player alternatives between leading one of the major factions, or roleplaying the Emperor (with less direct input, but longer term stability).

Players and Countries:

First Tier:
(Nominally open to all players)

German Reich: Chancellor Alfred Hugenberg (RGM2609)
United States of America: President Franklin D. Roosevelt (NewYorkExpress)
Empire of Japan: Emperor Hirohito (Devout Centrist)
British Empire: Prime Minister Ramsay MacDonald (S019)
Republic of France: Prime Minister Edouard Daladier (YPestis25)
Soviet Union: General Secretary Josef Stalin (GoTfan)
Kingdom of Italy: Duce Benito Mussolini (KaiserDave)
Republic of China: Generalissimo Chiang Kai-shek (Kuumo)

Second Tier:
(Open if previous nations are taken)

Republic of Turkey: President Mustafa Kemal Atatürk (OBD)
Dominion of Canada: Prime Minister R. B. Bennett (DKrol)
Czechoslovak Republic: President Tomáš Masaryk (JacksonHitchcock)
Union of South Africa: Prime Minister Jan Smuts (Ishan)
Spanish Republic: President Niceto Alcalá-Zamora (Hijodeagua)
Kingdom of Hungary: Regent Miklós Horthy (AverageFoodEnthusiast)
Kingdom of Yugoslavia: King Alexander I (Mr. X)
Republic of Poland
Kingdom of Romania
United States of Brazil
Chinese Communist Party
Imperial State of Persia
United Mexican States
Argentine Republic

Third Tier:
(Upon special request)

Chinese Warlords
Republic of Austria
Relevant individuals
And/or others
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 09:42:33 PM »

You can certainly have Argentina, but Peron's too obscure at the moment to lead it, sorry.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 09:47:24 PM »

RGM2609 will be playing as Chancellor Alfred Hugenberg (Germany).

All other claims granted thus far, as the historical leaders.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 10:12:27 PM »

RGM2609 will be playing as Chancellor Alfred Hugenberg (Germany).

All other claims granted thus far, as the historical leaders.
Is it okay if I play as Hirohito? Sorry, I forgot to clarify that in my post

Sure!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 11:11:20 PM »

We now have the vital nations covered. I'll leave a couple of days for more players to join in, and we'll start on Friday.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2022, 11:25:25 AM »

I’ve been reading a history book on South Africa while traveling so them and I would like them to be led by Jan Smuts.

Sure. We'll have it as Smuts managing to win the most recent election.

I'll rejoin as Chiang Kai-shek's Republic of China.

Granted!

Will there be turn prompts like in the last version?

Absolutely. Won't be 3 for every country for my sanity, minor nations will have 1-2 depending on the context.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 03:27:50 PM »

Hijodeagua will be taking over as Spain.

Sign-ups remain open until tomorrow!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2022, 03:36:59 PM »

Not at all!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2022, 05:12:39 PM »

Great! Not sure who I'm going to pick, perhaps the Hashemite Kingdom of Iraq or the Kingdom of Hungary?

Both are available (as King Faisal or Regent Horthy), let me know.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2022, 10:06:15 AM »

After much internal deliberation, I'd like to request to play as the Kingdom of Hungary

Granted.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2022, 06:19:06 PM »

I suppose I’ll go with Yugoslavia, the new gameplay is just too intriguing to ignore

Granted. Closing sign-ups for now, writing the first turn.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2022, 01:16:06 AM »

1933 is up and open! It will run until next Saturday at midnight.

Midturn comes on Wednesday.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2022, 08:44:21 PM »

Trying to answer questions as they come, but if I take more than 24 hours and there's no response, feel free to remind me so I don't forget.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2022, 11:22:28 PM »

I'm extending this to Sunday (midnight) to give time for players to send orders. The 24-hour ban on war orders against another player starts on Saturday midnight.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2022, 05:38:10 PM »

Out of curiosity,
Poland is still available? For which characters?

Yes, it's available. It would be playable as Pilsudski.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2022, 12:41:57 AM »

Turn is over. Expect results on Monday evening.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2022, 12:30:22 AM »

No game overs this turn. Turn II (1934) starts as soon as I can get the prompts ready, hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday.

I don't mind people reacting on the Gameplay Thread, but please refrain from taking or announcing major actions until the next turn is ready.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2022, 03:43:15 AM »

Out of curiosity,
Requesting Poland if that is possible? Would it be possible with a new character as playing someone going to die one year later lol.

Thanks!

Sure. If you play Pilsudki you get to pick the successor, but of you want someone else let me know.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2022, 03:04:43 PM »

Out of curiosity,
Requesting Poland if that is possible? Would it be possible with a new character as playing someone going to die one year later lol.

Thanks!

Sure. If you play Pilsudki you get to pick the successor, but of you want someone else let me know.
Someone a bit like a polish Laroque, a conservative with autoritarian tendencies who doesn't hate the jews

Right! Let me know once you've found the suitable individual, I'll be writing the new turn in the meantime.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2022, 03:37:59 PM »

Granted. You'd start right as Pilsudski dies early and suddenly, elevated to General Inspector of the Armed Forces and unofficial "surprise" successor.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2022, 02:52:29 AM »

1934 is up and open! It will run until next Friday at midnight.

Midturn comes on Monday.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2022, 11:46:15 AM »

Lumine, I might finally have to join in on this one. May I play as Turkey to replace OBD?

Sure! I'll add you to the turn this afternoon, but it should be the same turn prompts OBD had for 1933. Feel free to start in the meantime.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2022, 09:13:22 PM »

How does it work the votes at the society of nation?

I've decided to create a special thread for this. It will be up in a few minutes.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2022, 11:06:29 PM »

I've played a couple games like this before; on and off Atlas, albeit I've never had the time to seriously committ to a large role, which I apologize for... Are there any small roles / nations who are wanted but wouldn't require a ton of time?

Don't suppose I could play Australia / Jack Lang?

That would be fine, it would certainly flesh out the Commonweath since we also have Canada and South Africa.

To clarify, you want a Lang-led Australia, yes? If so I could arrange - to minimize butterflies - an alt 1934 election for tomorrow's midturn that a Lang-led Labor wins, unless you have something else in mind.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies