Was Poland more "democratic" in 1988 or 1993?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:15:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Was Poland more "democratic" in 1988 or 1993?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Was Poland more "democratic" in 1988 or 1993?  (Read 816 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2022, 12:46:53 AM »

In 1988 Poland was controlled by the communists but at the same time it had one of the more liberal abortion laws in the region.  In 1993 Poland was controlled by tradcaths who decided to virtually ban all abortions. According to some people the banning of abortion is a backsliding of "democracy" so therefore Poland actually was more democratic in 1988 than 1993.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 12:53:59 AM »

You're trying too hard. The point is not to make it obvious. (Voted 1993)

Also looking at the Polish elections, this isn't even a particularly big own, you'd have more of a point if you picked an election won by PiS, which is an actually authoritarian and national conservative party.
Leading Political Consultant Ma Anand Sheela
Heat

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 06:46:26 AM »
« Edited: June 28, 2022, 06:50:15 AM by ms. yung globalist »

Thanks in part to a backlash to what you mention, the 1993 election led to a legislature dominated by post-communist, left-wing and liberal parties that made an effort to liberalise abortion law, only to be forced to back down by a constitutional court that started from its preferred conclusion and worked backwards. Said abortion law has since been tightened even further by a constitutional court stacked with illegally appointed judges and people who were active politicians until five minutes earlier. As you might know if my country were anything other than the cheapest of dunks to you.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2022, 11:05:27 AM »

Thanks in part to a backlash to what you mention, the 1993 election led to a legislature dominated by post-communist, left-wing and liberal parties that made an effort to liberalise abortion law, only to be forced to back down by a constitutional court that started from its preferred conclusion and worked backwards. Said abortion law has since been tightened even further by a constitutional court stacked with illegally appointed judges and people who were active politicians until five minutes earlier. As you might know if my country were anything other than the cheapest of dunks to you.

I do actually know about the court rulings later which are inherently anti democratic ,anti liberty and pretty poor legal reasoning . I think I even made a post on this forum when a ruling came out . However in the end there is a certain obsession with Democrats on this forum and in the real world  with "anti democracy" which usually just means policies I don't like .This does also apply to the right in some capacity as well. Australia may have one of the most authoritarian COVID responses but it still was quite popular among the people over there so its still a democracy .
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 01:35:58 PM »

I do actually know about the court rulings later which are inherently anti democratic ,anti liberty and pretty poor legal reasoning . I think I even made a post on this forum when a ruling came out . However in the end there is a certain obsession with Democrats on this forum and in the real world  with "anti democracy" which usually just means policies I don't like .This does also apply to the right in some capacity as well. Australia may have one of the most authoritarian COVID responses but it still was quite popular among the people over there so its still a democracy .

There's a serious problem in contemporary discourse of associating democracy with specific policy outcomes, rather than viewing it as a decision-making process.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies