How much leave should American private sector employees be entitled to take?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:16:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How much leave should American private sector employees be entitled to take?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How much leave should American private sector employees be entitled to take? Please indicate the sum total of all types of leave - including public holidays, employer provided leave, and so on.
More than 30 days.
Between 20 and 29 days.
Between 10 and 19 days.
Between 0 and 9 days.
There should be no minimum requirement.
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: How much leave should American private sector employees be entitled to take?  (Read 512 times)
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2022, 12:52:04 PM »
« edited: June 27, 2022, 01:15:29 PM by Damocles »

Together with some of the Pacific island countries, the United States is one of the only countries in the world not to have a statutory minimum amount of leave for private sector employees. To give some examples of paid minimum leave for private sector employees around the world:

In member countries of the European Union, private sector employees are entitled to not less than 20 days off provided by their employer, plus any public holidays the country may designate.

In Colombia, private sector employees are entitled to not less than 15 days off provided by their employer, plus 18 public holidays.

In Angola, private sector employees are entitled to not less than 22 days off provided by their employer, plus 11 public holidays.

In each of the above cases, the minimum leave requirement applies to working days. It does not include weekends.

How much leave should American private sector employees be entitled to take? Should this include public holidays? How many days off should an employer be required to offer? What would be the benefits and drawbacks of such a policy? Discuss.

My personal opinion on the matter:

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

MiddleRoad
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 01:02:27 PM »

90 days
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 01:05:00 PM »

More than 30.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 04:50:40 PM »

as much as they bargain (or someone else bargains) for with their employer
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2022, 10:55:51 AM »

We should get rid of most federal holidays and transition to giving people 4 weeks off in July/August and then again from Thanksgiving to the end of Christmas 
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2022, 05:52:01 PM »

We should get rid of most federal holidays and transition to giving people 4 weeks off in July/August and then again from Thanksgiving to the end of Christmas 

What an excellent way to destroy the economy for part of the year.

Personally:
-3 Months of Paid Maternal/Paternal Leave
-3 Months of Additional Unpaid Maternal/Paternal Leave
=
-All Federal Holidays (or equivalent number of days)
-2 Additional Weeks of Paid Vacation
=
-Sick Leave At Rate/Length of Unemployment Insurance

TOTAL: 26 Paid Days Off
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 06:10:08 PM »

Most c-suites already empty out in August.  The rich have been "summering" since time immemorial.

Essential services can remain open and restaurants/retail can run reduced hours, but there's no real harm in delaying transactional or office work for a multi-week long summer siesta that in the long-term will increase consumer spending and improve productivity.

Not having to cool office towers during the hottest weeks of Northern Hemisphere summer would be quite the potential boon as well.   
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2022, 06:17:39 PM »

Most c-suites already empty out in August.  The rich have been "summering" since time immemorial.

Essential services can remain open and restaurants/retail can run reduced hours, but there's no real harm in delaying transactional or office work for a multi-week long summer siesta that in the long-term will increase consumer spending and improve productivity.

Not having to cool office towers during the hottest weeks of Northern Hemisphere summer would be quite the potential boon as well.   

True, but it would be harder to do vacations and such without consumer businesses open.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2022, 12:52:08 PM »

Personally:
-3 Months of Paid Maternal/Paternal Leave
-3 Months of Additional Unpaid Maternal/Paternal Leave
=
-All Federal Holidays (or equivalent number of days)
-2 Additional Weeks of Paid Vacation
=
-Sick Leave At Rate/Length of Unemployment Insurance

TOTAL: 26 Paid Days Off

That’s a good place to be.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2022, 02:04:38 PM »

30 days or slightly more, what's pretty much the norm in Germany (although mandatory by law is just 24 days).

I have 30 days of paid vacation and up to six weeks paid sick leave. I don't know why this is not possible in America. Certainly doesn't harm the economy, as proven in other countries. More time for vacation and private life actually increases productivity.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2022, 03:58:59 PM »

This suggestion is maybe insane, but I love it too much. Will you finally be running for office soon?

As for questions about how people could feasibly vacation, I'm sure there would be a market for overtime/holiday pay to keep the wheels churning.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2022, 04:15:12 PM »

Where is the "private sector shouldn't exist" option? (D)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2022, 04:22:40 PM »

This makes sense, but at the same time, I don't like being told when to take my vacation at peak hotel price time. I have 4 weeks off this summer, but one of them is only because it is mandatory, and I won't be travelling at the same time everyone else is.

I much prefer taking time every 6 weeks or so. But you are right that summers tend to empty out already. Who wants to be in a city in August....yuck.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2022, 06:02:35 PM »

This suggestion is maybe insane, but I love it too much. Will you finally be running for office soon?

As for questions about how people could feasibly vacation, I'm sure there would be a market for overtime/holiday pay to keep the wheels churning.

Not working during the late summer is a dirty little secret of the urban bourgeoisie that needs to be fully brought out into the light and embraced for the masses.  Most full-service restaurants, boutiques, medical offices, and even some small offices in my neighborhood will be closing for at least 1-2 weeks in July/August (and this corresponds to when most Uptowners will be taking their vacations to BSL, 30A, Highlands, Europe or wherever.)

It is interesting to think what our cities and lives would be like if everyone was given the luxury of a rich man's summer.  There certainly would be a market for holiday/vacation work (just as there is now) but slowing down the pace of everything during the dog days of the year just feels natural for Southerners.
Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2022, 07:12:48 PM »

30 days or slightly more, what's pretty much the norm in Germany (although mandatory by law is just 24 days).

I have 30 days of paid vacation and up to six weeks paid sick leave. I don't know why this is not possible in America. Certainly doesn't harm the economy, as proven in other countries. More time for vacation and private life actually increases productivity.
It sure would be nice to take two workweeks off and fly to Europe and spend some time there. That's 16 calendar days off - one day to fly in, two weeks to spend in Europe, and one day to fly home. It's long enough to make the big yeet across the Atlantic worth it. It would hardly be a bad thing!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2022, 07:19:42 PM »

Most c-suites already empty out in August.  The rich have been "summering" since time immemorial.

Not working during the late summer is a dirty little secret of the urban bourgeoisie that needs to be fully brought out into the light and embraced for the masses.  Most full-service restaurants, boutiques, medical offices, and even some small offices in my neighborhood will be closing for at least 1-2 weeks in July/August (and this corresponds to when most Uptowners will be taking their vacations to BSL, 30A, Highlands, Europe or wherever.)

It is interesting to think what our cities and lives would be like if everyone was given the luxury of a rich man's summer.  There certainly would be a market for holiday/vacation work (just as there is now) but slowing down the pace of everything during the dog days of the year just feels natural for Southerners.

Maybe because I was only ever on the low end of urban bourgeoisie (and in a civil service system at that; EDIT: wait, does being a white collar public sector peon even count? Probably not), it's not something I've ever experienced, unfortunately. Maybe I should have just gone into law.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2022, 10:54:36 PM »

People like it once they get it. In California you get up to 1/4 of a year in paid maternal leave. I doubt conservatives would move to Alabama for that.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2022, 10:59:15 PM »

I get 8 corporate holidays plus 23 days paid vacation.  I can buy up to an additional 5 (those five would basically be unpaid time off).
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2022, 01:10:34 PM »

My personal take would be 28 days + Federal holidays (with a maximum of say, 12) + State and local holidays (maximum of 6)

That makes a total of 46 days off. Ambitious? Maybe but I think that's the situation here (edit: apparently we only have 22 days off, but close enough)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies