Next Strategy Game (Poll & Discussion)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:14:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Next Strategy Game (Poll & Discussion)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Of the following options, which would you personally prefer?
The Gathering Storm (1939) - Resuming suspended game
North against South (1861-2) - New game
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Next Strategy Game (Poll & Discussion)  (Read 818 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2022, 10:57:40 AM »

Morning! Now that Spamage's most recent game is over - and we await the epilogue -, I've found myself with enough time and interest to host a strategy game again, and I currently have two options on the table for which I've conducted research and would like to host.

So the purpose of this thread is to gauge player interest, availability, preferences, and whether the conditions are there to actually host one of these projects:

The Gathering Storm: We played this one last year, but I was forced to suspend it on turn two (late 1939) due to RL issues. Still have the research and player notes - but not the PM's, I'm afraid -, so while it is certainly possible to resume, we may have to restart/re-do turn two, depending on what the playerbase prefers. For those who didn't play it, it's a standard nation game in the style we know well.

North versus South: I've wanted to try this one for a long time. It basically follows the model created by KaiserDave on his brilliant Weimar Game, allowing players to play as individuals within a specific period in time. In this case, a US Civil War simulation, in which people can play as politicians, generals and so on and influence the war (as well as other issues) as it goes on.

Any thoughts?
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 11:24:01 AM »

Morning! Now that Spamage's most recent game is over - and we await the epilogue -, I've found myself with enough time and interest to host a strategy game again, and I currently have two options on the table for which I've conducted research and would like to host.

So the purpose of this thread is to gauge player interest, availability, preferences, and whether the conditions are there to actually host one of these projects:

The Gathering Storm: We played this one last year, but I was forced to suspend it on turn two (late 1939) due to RL issues. Still have the research and player notes - but not the PM's, I'm afraid -, so while it is certainly possible to resume, we may have to restart/re-do turn two, depending on what the playerbase prefers. For those who didn't play it, it's a standard nation game in the style we know well.

North versus South: I've wanted to try this one for a long time. It basically follows the model created by KaiserDave on his brilliant Weimar Game, allowing players to play as individuals within a specific period in time. In this case, a US Civil War simulation, in which people can play as politicians, generals and so on and influence the war (as well as other issues) as it goes on.

Any thoughts?

If you redo/restart The Gathering Storm,, I would be willing to reenter the game, either to replace a player who is leaving, or as a new player.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 12:07:37 PM »

I would definitely be down to continue or restart The Gathering Storm. There were quite a few important PMs involving my character and probably most of the other characters that never made to the public thread, so I think it would be best to at least restart turn two.

The Civil War game sounds interesting too, especially since it's been a while since The Gathering Storm started.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 01:40:46 PM »

I would be happy with either. I’d also be happy to reprise my role as Poland or take over for a leaving player.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 06:28:32 PM »

Question for Lumine. If you were to do either one of these games, does that mean you are going to stand down as GM in Atlasia? Both running a game, and being GM for Atlasia are very draining, and I'm not sure you should attempt to do both.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 07:31:40 PM »

Question for Lumine. If you were to do either one of these games, does that mean you are going to stand down as GM in Atlasia? Both running a game, and being GM for Atlasia are very draining, and I'm not sure you should attempt to do both.

Aye, I've expressed my intention to step down as GM since I took the job, and plan to do so as soon as I bring some storylines to a close. In the meantime, no issues whatsoever with doing both.

Enough people have expressed interest here and on Discord, so I'll leave this open until tomorrow just to see if there's a clear margin in favor of either option. If not, I'll pick one and go for it.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 09:22:43 PM »

I would be in favor of a new game, this Civil War idea seems very very interesting.

That said, I feel that it's hard to play games like this in historical settings where the benefit of hindsight is very....accessible.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 09:26:02 PM »

I'd be interested, I've done a few of these, and it's summer now, so I have more spare time to actually put together turns
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 07:35:11 PM »

Right! I think there's certainly enough interest, and since I voted Civil War on the poll, also a clear majority in favor of The Gathering Storm. Expect a thread in the next few hours.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 08:07:51 PM »

I wouldn't mind participating in either of the games
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies