VA-07: Vega (R) downplays possibility of pregnancy after rape
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:26:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-07: Vega (R) downplays possibility of pregnancy after rape
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VA-07: Vega (R) downplays possibility of pregnancy after rape  (Read 758 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 27, 2022, 08:18:29 AM »

https://www.axios.com/local/richmond/2022/06/27/yesli-vega-pregnancy-rape-audio-recording
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 08:34:58 AM »

Former Senator Todd Akin (R-MO) agrees with that statement.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2022, 08:40:37 AM »

This won't play well in a pro-choice state like Virginia.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 08:47:36 AM »

ah yes, the supposed "moderate" Republicans who were supposed to make these races competitive. I'm sure they still will be given the environment, but Rs are going to really get themselves into issues on these topics.
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 08:57:00 AM »

R House candidates looked at how R Senate candidates were doing and wanted to get in on the action
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 09:18:13 AM »

The unequivocal core of her comments is correct—as serious, sincere pro-choice advocates admit. Cases of rape resulting in pregnancy are tragic and extremely rare. Vega hasn't voiced support for or opposition to an exception in those cases. She should clarify her stance.

Her "Akin-esque" comments are extremely equivocal and given the context sound like an attempt to talk down someone (obviously disingenuously) presenting themselves as a no-exceptions crusader.

Q:  "I've actually heard that it's harder for a woman to get pregnant if she's been raped. Have you heard that?"
A: "Well, maybe because there's so much going on in the body. I don't know. I haven't, you know, seen any studies. But if I'm processing what you're saying, it wouldn't surprise me. Because it's not something that's happening organically. You're forcing it. The individual, the male, is doing it as quickly — it's not like, you know — and so I can see why there is truth to that. It's unfortunate."

She also benefits from not being a man like Akin was. Her response to the press, "I'm a mother of two, I'm fully aware of how women get pregnant." pretty much ends the discussion.

Don't expect Vega will have too much trouble winning a Republican district in November. Not a particularly remarkable candidate, though. Still Likely R.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 09:32:41 AM »

The unequivocal core of her comments is correct—as serious, sincere pro-choice advocates admit. Cases of rape resulting in pregnancy are tragic and extremely rare. Vega hasn't voiced support for or opposition to an exception in those cases. She should clarify her stance.

Her "Akin-esque" comments are extremely equivocal and given the context sound like an attempt to talk down someone (obviously disingenuously) presenting themselves as a no-exceptions crusader.

Q:  "I've actually heard that it's harder for a woman to get pregnant if she's been raped. Have you heard that?"
A: "Well, maybe because there's so much going on in the body. I don't know. I haven't, you know, seen any studies. But if I'm processing what you're saying, it wouldn't surprise me. Because it's not something that's happening organically. You're forcing it. The individual, the male, is doing it as quickly — it's not like, you know — and so I can see why there is truth to that. It's unfortunate."

She also benefits from not being a man like Akin was. Her response to the press, "I'm a mother of two, I'm fully aware of how women get pregnant." pretty much ends the discussion.

Don't expect Vega will have too much trouble winning a Republican district in November. Not a particularly remarkable candidate, though. Still Likely R.

VA-07 isn't an R district.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 09:33:50 AM »

This doesn't matter electorally.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2022, 09:33:51 AM »

As the article notes:

The only exception for which she voiced support was "rare instances where the life of the mother is at risk, and doctors have taken every measure to save the lives of both the mother and her unborn child."

She did not explicitly say she was against a rape exception, but in light of the above comment it can reasonably be inferred that she is against one, unless/until she clarifies it.

Also, although the district does have a slightly R Cook PVI, it really is a swing district; Biden and Spanberger both won by narrow margins in 2020.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2022, 09:55:17 AM »

Talking about rape at all is one of the biggest strategic mistakes a republican can make. But I expect at least ten more to do so this year
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2022, 12:02:30 PM »

Bring a woman and saying something like this actually makes it worse because it shows a complete lack of understanding from someone who is part of the group that rights are being stripped of. and she didn't shut down the unscientific and wrong belief that pregnancy from rape is less likely. This isn't even a Republican district it is a swing district.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2022, 12:55:22 PM »

She did not explicitly say she was against a rape exception, but in light of the above comment it can reasonably be inferred that she is against one, unless/until she clarifies it.

It can be reasonably inferred, I agree. She should clarify. Unless she does double down on opposing a rape exception, I don't think these comments will particularly harm her.

It's not comparable to Akin, who, in addition to being a man and making much clearer comments, made them live on television.

Also, although the district does have a slightly R Cook PVI, it really is a swing district; Biden and Spanberger both won by narrow margins in 2020.

It would be a swing district if we had any reason to believe this were an election like 2020.

Talking about rape at all is one of the biggest strategic mistakes a republican can make. But I expect at least ten more to do so this year

Speaking only strategically, Republicans can discuss rape as part of a tough-on-crime message. Harsh criminal penalties for convicted rapists is definitely a popular position.

They should stop publicly discussing it in the context of abortion though; even where nuance exists, it is wasted on the average voter.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2022, 03:20:06 PM »

OK, this is a problem.  The full context isn't as bad as Akin, but VA-07 in 2022 is also a lot bluer than Missouri statewide in 2012.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2022, 03:37:52 PM »

It gets worse and worse when you look at the full comments.

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2022, 03:41:14 PM »

Sickening. Again that is an unscientific theory that total defies biology.
crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2022, 04:03:40 PM »

This will not be a blow out for Spanberger due to partisanship. But this is a type of district that does not like BS... on either side..

Kind of amazing that last November Spanberger was deemed she would be doomed this year.. now she is at least mildly favored for re-election.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2022, 04:20:45 PM »

VA-7 is a very strange congressional district composing the fringe of the DC metro area, a few rural counties and, also, the part of Prince William County that is extremely Democratic because it's diverse. There aren't too many people in southern Prince William County who would be swayed one way or another based on this clip.

This comment will hurt Vega but I wouldn't underestimate her. She's Salvadoran and represents some fundamental aspirations that will be held by Salvadorans i.e. she and her husband have attained social mobility through a more standard working class track. There are many Salvadorans living in Prince William County and if they shift from voting for Democrats by a 30-40 point margin to breaking even, that could be pivotal. Salvadorans are an unusual group, the only Hispanics in the US who are predominantly Protestant along with Guatemalans, so they have unusually extreme viewpoints about abortion.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2022, 05:13:18 PM »

But OSR told me Republicans were moderating on social issues!!!1
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2022, 06:10:17 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2022, 06:36:10 PM by DrScholl »

VA-7 is a very strange congressional district composing the fringe of the DC metro area, a few rural counties and, also, the part of Prince William County that is extremely Democratic because it's diverse. There aren't too many people in southern Prince William County who would be swayed one way or another based on this clip.

This comment will hurt Vega but I wouldn't underestimate her. She's Salvadoran and represents some fundamental aspirations that will be held by Salvadorans i.e. she and her husband have attained social mobility through a more standard working class track. There are many Salvadorans living in Prince William County and if they shift from voting for Democrats by a 30-40 point margin to breaking even, that could be pivotal. Salvadorans are an unusual group, the only Hispanics in the US who are predominantly Protestant along with Guatemalans, so they have unusually extreme viewpoints about abortion.

Don't count on identity politics pulling her through.

The attacks come mostly from fellow Latinos. They don’t care that she’s a daughter of Salvadoran civil war refugees or that she’s active in the Spanish-speaking church where her father is pastor to undocumented immigrants. They’re instead focused on her party: Vega, 35, is a Republican, which they say doesn’t reflect where their fast-changing community is heading.

“You do not represent us,” Aida Campos, one of Vega’s constituents, told her during one meeting. “We do not claim you.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/yesli-vega-prince-william-republican/2020/10/16/a88e61a2-f76d-11ea-be57-d00bb9bc632d_story.html
Doesn't sound like she can break even with them just based on being Latino. They can't even stand her
Coldstream
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -6.59, S: 1.20

P P
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2022, 01:59:49 PM »

I’m old enough to remember when this was career ending.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2022, 02:50:13 PM »

At least this and that MI-State House special show that some swing voters take it seriously.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2022, 03:40:22 PM »

At least this and that MI-State House special show that some swing voters take it seriously.

I would argue Vega’s comments are nowhere near as offensive though plus being a woman gives her a bit more of a “shield” when talking about this issue
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2022, 03:47:05 PM »

Sickening. Again that is an unscientific theory that total defies biology.

Republican claims something not backed up by science, total shock.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies