2024 GOP presidential hopefuls reluctant to advocate nationwide abortion ban
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:01:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  2024 GOP presidential hopefuls reluctant to advocate nationwide abortion ban
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2024 GOP presidential hopefuls reluctant to advocate nationwide abortion ban  (Read 946 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2022, 11:59:21 PM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/06/24/roe-reversal-divides-2024-gop-field-00042346

Pence seems to have gone the farthest, talking about outlawing abortion in every state, which still places the action in state legislatures.  He hasn’t actually said that the federal government itself should ban abortion.  (He may have advocated that at some point, but not since the SCOTUS ruling.)

The others seem somewhat more hesitant.

Other Republicans weighing 2024 bids, including the former president himself, Donald Trump, avoided rhetoric that could be construed as proposing a national abortion ban. Privately, per The New York Times, Trump stewed in the leadup to Friday’s ruling that overturning Roe would hurt Republicans among suburban women in the midterms.
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, who would be a top early contender in a Republican presidential primary, hasn’t said publicly whether he wants to further restrict abortion access, but supports enforcing the state’s existing restrictions, which he signed into law this spring. Some state GOP leaders have already shown an interest in going beyond Florida’s new 15-week law.
“I’d like to see a day where there are no abortions in America except for preserving the life of the mother and rape and incest, but that will be, I think, in the first instance, up to voters in the states,” Hawley said on a Friday call with reporters.
Though [Rick Scott] has endorsed 15-week abortion prohibitions, his statement Friday did not propose further sweeping bans. Instead, he signaled an interest in passing legislation to reduce the burden of carrying a pregnancy to term.
Nikki Haley, the former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations and past governor of South Carolina, said the decision “puts the debate back where it belongs — at the state level, closest to the people.” Haley also teased a platform that would provide additional support to pregnant women.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2022, 01:00:28 PM »

They all support it. They just don't want to say it before they're elected.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2022, 06:02:11 PM »

Eh I don't think Trump does. Trump is personally pro-choice but acts pro-life for political reasons. Since a total nationwide abortion ban is extremely unpopular (even among Republicans) I doubt he would attempt it.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2022, 06:06:04 PM »

Eh I don't think Trump does. Trump is personally pro-choice but acts pro-life for political reasons. Since a total nationwide abortion ban is extremely unpopular (even among Republicans) I doubt he would attempt it.

Ironically Biden is the opposite.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 07:55:32 PM »

I think they're genuine. The party tends toward the devolutionist and more importantly, a nationwide ban can easily be reversed if there's another Democratic trifecta. Best to start with a firm layer of state bans adjusted to the local temperature, test out the arguments Brandeis-style, and then go for the nationwide ban if feasible.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 11:03:42 PM »

I don't really think Biden is pro-life even privately. If he thought abortion was murder then he wouldn't be fighting back against Republicans wanting to ban it, unless he was pro-murder.
Make America Grumpy Again
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 11:39:46 PM »

I don't really think Biden is pro-life even privately. If he thought abortion was murder then he wouldn't be fighting back against Republicans wanting to ban it, unless he was pro-murder.
People can and often sacrifice their values for politics
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 11:42:05 PM »

People can and often sacrifice their values for politics

Well if Biden is truly pro-life personally then according to his moral system he's alright with pushing for legalizing murder of children.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2022, 01:15:45 AM »

Well he was opposed to Roe back in the 70s and he was opposed to same sex marriage until 2013.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 04:41:55 AM »

Well he was opposed to Roe back in the 70s and he was opposed to same sex marriage until 2013.

K.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2022, 07:11:42 AM »

2012 you mean, when he actually pushed Obama to come out in favor of same-sex marriage before the election by coming out in favor of it himself first. I remember this vividly.
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2022, 07:15:05 AM »

This is definitely a way for Pence to stake out territory to the right of Trump, I wonder if he'll be able to lock down the evangelical vote with it.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2022, 07:57:47 AM »

This is definitely a way for Pence to stake out territory to the right of Trump, I wonder if he'll be able to lock down the evangelical vote with it.
Eh perhaps, but history shows that apart from Bush, the "evangelical" or most religious candidate never wins. Huckabee, Santorum and Cruz all failed.
Most Republican voters (even in primaries) are not religious fanatics.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2022, 08:44:33 AM »

The R party is gonna be hurt in 24 with Roe overturned it doesn't even matter if it's DeSantis, Pence or Trump they will lose the BLUE WALL
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2022, 03:47:55 PM »

I think they're genuine. The party tends toward the devolutionist and more importantly, a nationwide ban can easily be reversed if there's another Democratic trifecta. Best to start with a firm layer of state bans adjusted to the local temperature, test out the arguments Brandeis-style, and then go for the nationwide ban if feasible.

Right. And Gorsuch and Kavanaugh both said Roe was settled law, yet here we are.

I do agree though, it would be whiplash to have abortion legal for one/two terms of a President and then illegal 4-8 years later and vice versa. But I don't doubt the GOP would end the filibuster and attempt to pass a nationwide ban if they win congress and the presidency in 2024.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2022, 08:24:46 PM »

Right. And Gorsuch and Kavanaugh both said Roe was settled law, yet here we are.

Need to point out the obvious fact that neither of them said this. Kavanaugh was asked if it was "settled law" and said that it was precedent entitled to deference consistent with the principles of stare decisis, which it received.

The only credible person even sort of suggesting they said anything like this is Susan Collins, who (a) isn't a lawyer, doesn't appear to have a very strong grasp of jurisprudence, and doesn't make clear what "settled law" even means, (b) claims they indicated this in a closed-door meeting without making any claims as to how they indicated it, and (c) had every reason to read her own position into anything they said, if only for reasons of plausible deniability.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies