Should IUDs and other contraceptive methods be free in states where abortion is banned? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:03:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should IUDs and other contraceptive methods be free in states where abortion is banned? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes (D/D-leaning)

No (D/D-leaning)

Yes (R/R-leaning)

No (R/R-leaning)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Should IUDs and other contraceptive methods be free in states where abortion is banned?  (Read 2587 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: July 03, 2022, 03:26:51 AM »

No. I mean sure, I would not oppose such a policy at all, but I don't think the must be free either; abortion legal or illegal.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 03:29:05 AM »

No, because none of those are a need. If you don't want to become pregnant, it should not be the government's responsibility to help you pay for that, especially when free and low cost options already exist currently. 

The government should, however, do more to help families that will be created out of abortion bans, and encourage more people to have children in the future.

What about rape? Those women don't want to be pregnant. WTF.

How is offering a woman who is already pregnant from rape an IUD or birth control pills going to help her?

Uh, the "morning after pill" certainly exists. It is far from infallible and iirc it does have some very bad sideffects so it's not a suitable replacement for the "regular" pill; but making it free would certainly help a woman who suffered from rape I suppose.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2022, 03:30:05 AM »

All medical interventions and devices should be free at the point of use, so yes.

While I agree with this, I will note that even in countries with extensive single payer nationalized healthcare, you have to pay for contraceptives Tongue (source: live in one)

Ironically, abortion is free here though.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 11:53:22 AM »

All medical interventions and devices should be free at the point of use, so yes.

While I agree with this, I will note that even in countries with extensive single payer nationalized healthcare, you have to pay for contraceptives Tongue (source: live in one)

Ironically, abortion is free here though.

How many abortions happen in Spain relative to the US, would you suppose? Free abortion but not contraceptives would if anything be an incentive for abortion.

I agree that that is if anything a small incentive for abortion though the fact that Spanish women aren't exactly running for abortion as their main contraceptive method probably shows that the amount of people using abortion exclusively for (mainly) contraceptive purposes is fairly small

In any case, the comparison would be, with 2020 data that the US have 14.4 abortions per 1000 women in the 18-44 age range; while Spain has 11.5.

So fairly comparable I suppose, though at the peak of abortion in the US in the 80s and 90s the per capita figure was probably much higher (while for Spain the current data is fairly close to the peak, abortions have been stagnant or even in a very slight decline since the late 2000s)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies