Should IUDs and other contraceptive methods be free in states where abortion is banned? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:57:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should IUDs and other contraceptive methods be free in states where abortion is banned? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes (D/D-leaning)

No (D/D-leaning)

Yes (R/R-leaning)

No (R/R-leaning)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Should IUDs and other contraceptive methods be free in states where abortion is banned?  (Read 2589 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: June 25, 2022, 12:57:28 PM »

Absolutely. Make them free and promote them the same way we did with the COVID vaccines.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 02:31:28 PM »

No, but I support benefits such as paid parental leave and tax credits for parents as a means of encouraging responsible childrearing. The health of the family is fundamental to the health of society, and needs to be the focus of prosocial policy ideas surrounding the topic. Not aiding and abetting the Peter Pan Syndrome of the modern American.

Believe it or not, not wanting children does not mean that you, in fact, have the mind of a child.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 03:15:26 PM »

No, but I support benefits such as paid parental leave and tax credits for parents as a means of encouraging responsible childrearing. The health of the family is fundamental to the health of society, and needs to be the focus of prosocial policy ideas surrounding the topic. Not aiding and abetting the Peter Pan Syndrome of the modern American.
Hm, interesting. Change begins at home, as they say.

Suddenly I'm interested in how the distinguished PiT believes my abstinence from sexual relationships or raising any type of family reflects on me either personally or mentally. But I do encourage total honesty. We're all adults here, after all. Except of course for those of us who are children for not fitting into that cookie-cutter mold.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 07:12:08 PM »

Hm, interesting. Change begins at home, as they say.

Suddenly I'm interested in how the distinguished PiT believes my abstinence from sexual relationships or raising any type of family reflects on me either personally or mentally. But I do encourage total honesty. We're all adults here, after all. Except of course for those of us who are children for not fitting into that cookie-cutter mold.

I think it's commendable that you practice celibacy given that you don't want to raise a family, and in fact exactly the right choice for you to be making. Adhering to a religion where monasticism is practiced, I would be a hypocrite if I said not raising a family was an unacceptable choice. My problem is that the topic question implicitly classes abortion as a form of contraception and thereby is asking if people should be guaranteed easy access to contraceptives. I call it a Peter Pan Syndrome because it strikes me that people think there needs to be an easy out from the responsibilities that life seeks to put on their shoulders.

Alright, I do appreciate the clarification on that bit, but I want to emphasize that I have always separated abortion from birth control and contraceptives. I never held abortion as something not meaningfully different from the pill, including Plan B, or other conventional methods of birth control and family planning that exist as alternative to abortion.

But being responsible and accountable for another human life is one of the greatest challenges life can ever throw at you, regardless of circumstances, whether that involves one's offspring or another relative or a neighbor. You do, indeed, grow up. And present conditions make having a family practically impossible for young people. You can blame whoever you want for that being the case today, but the lack of confidence and the growing insecurity since the GFC will deter people from having families even if they feel ready to. Which is undoubtedly important to a child's formative years as those are easily the most important years of a person's life.

But multiple lawmakers have stated at least an openness to restricting access to contraceptives which, for all intents and purposes, make abortions less likely to be resorted to. IUDs can cost up to $1300 without insurance, assuming those aren't outlawed. And with the decision just out, women have every right to be concerned about whether those alternatives to abortion will remain available. This article, written by someone who supports overturning Roe and Casey, acknowledges that lawmakers hardly know what they're doing when they're putting exceptions in place. And that's just counting lawmakers who want to keep non-abortion contraceptives legal.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2022, 11:26:22 AM »

And likewise I appreciate you clarifying your thoughts. Asking you a question so I don't misunderstand you again, is your main interest in supporting this proposal to reduce demand for abortion?

Yes.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2022, 11:47:03 AM »

All medical interventions and devices should be free at the point of use, so yes.

While I agree with this, I will note that even in countries with extensive single payer nationalized healthcare, you have to pay for contraceptives Tongue (source: live in one)

Ironically, abortion is free here though.

How many abortions happen in Spain relative to the US, would you suppose? Free abortion but not contraceptives would if anything be an incentive for abortion.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 08:26:25 AM »

Absolutely not.
Somebody always has to pay for anything that has costs, and with this issue you're talking about taxpayers subsidizing a product for everyone who may need to get the product, even though the product is hardly too expensive for even the poorest of people to buy on their own.
What would be the point in creating this subsidy? Are you trying to put words into the mouths of anti-abortion legislators? Is this the implicit message you want anti-abortion legislators to send to all the residents of the state?
We who are anti-abortion are constantly being accused of ulterior motives, such as that we want "to control women's bodies," that we're "sexual fascists" who have no respect for reproductive autonomy, and so on. In order to prove that none of that is true, we hereby subsidize contraceptives for anyone and everyone who needs them. This should put an end, once and for all, to any question about whether we have respect for reproductive autonomy.
Is that what you want anti-abortion legislators to say?

IUDs cost up to $1300 without insurance.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies