🇳🇴 Shooting at Oslo gay bar leaves at least two people dead ahead of Pride parade (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:09:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  🇳🇴 Shooting at Oslo gay bar leaves at least two people dead ahead of Pride parade (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 🇳🇴 Shooting at Oslo gay bar leaves at least two people dead ahead of Pride parade  (Read 1370 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« on: June 26, 2022, 06:30:19 PM »
« edited: June 26, 2022, 07:05:30 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

While it's terrible that this happened, Norway is going to enact stricter gun control laws after this. It shows that their system works infinitely better than ours, in which gun purchases accelerate after every high-profile mass shooting.

This is an incredibly sad incident all-around. But other than that (what should be) obvious thought that any rational human should have (you know, not DT or TheReckoning) I came to same conclusion as you did. Norway is going to embarrass us at how efficient and practical they are with how their government reacts to a horror like this.

However, also expect an uptick in xenophobic reaction to this as well, unfortunately. Even in the most cultivated societies you still can never completely avoid reactionaries.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 06:29:38 PM »

However, also expect an uptick in xenophobic reaction to this as well, unfortunately. Even in the most cultivated societies you still can never completely avoid reactionaries.

Do you deem it XeNoPhObIc™ to connect the evident dots?

Obviously Islamism factored into the motivation. My point is that something like a Trump-inspired "Muslim Ban" still isn't a rational reaction to this tragedy should it happen. Of course, I may be getting ahead of myself, so far I haven't seen much of an indication of it. I suppose it's an instance of my cynicism getting the better of me, as so often happens. And I do apologize for that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies