🇳🇴 Shooting at Oslo gay bar leaves at least two people dead ahead of Pride parade
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:43:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  🇳🇴 Shooting at Oslo gay bar leaves at least two people dead ahead of Pride parade
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 🇳🇴 Shooting at Oslo gay bar leaves at least two people dead ahead of Pride parade  (Read 1367 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2022, 07:23:27 PM »

He’s Norway’s trash, not Iran’s.

My condolences for the victims.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2022, 07:31:13 PM »

While it's terrible that this happened, Norway is going to enact stricter gun control laws after this. It shows that their system works infinitely better than ours, in which gun purchases accelerate after every high-profile mass shooting.

This is an incredibly sad incident all-around. But other than that (what should be) obvious thought that any rational human should have (you know, not DT or TheReckoning) I came to same conclusion as you did. Norway is going to embarrass us at how efficient and practical they are with how their government reacts to a horror like this.

However, also expect an uptick in xenophobic reaction to this as well, unfortunately. Even in the most cultivated societies you still can never completely avoid reactionaries.

lol, you’re literally way more likely to die of a mass shooting in Norway than in the United States. This is an incontrovertible fact, yet the USA is the one that gets hate and called “backwards” for it…
Cassandra
Situationist

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2022, 09:29:09 PM »

While it's terrible that this happened, Norway is going to enact stricter gun control laws after this. It shows that their system works infinitely better than ours, in which gun purchases accelerate after every high-profile mass shooting.

This is an incredibly sad incident all-around. But other than that (what should be) obvious thought that any rational human should have (you know, not DT or TheReckoning) I came to same conclusion as you did. Norway is going to embarrass us at how efficient and practical they are with how their government reacts to a horror like this.

However, also expect an uptick in xenophobic reaction to this as well, unfortunately. Even in the most cultivated societies you still can never completely avoid reactionaries.

lol, you’re literally way more likely to die of a mass shooting in Norway than in the United States. This is an incontrovertible fact, yet the USA is the one that gets hate and called “backwards” for it…

You're insane
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2022, 09:35:34 PM »

You're insane

https://crimeresearch.org/2015/06/comparing-death-rates-from-mass-public-shootings-in-the-us-and-europe/
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2022, 04:35:38 AM »

Do you deem it XeNoPhObIc™ to connect the evident dots?
Amanda Huggenkiss
amanda dermichknutscht

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2022, 04:58:37 AM »

You're insane

https://crimeresearch.org/2015/06/comparing-death-rates-from-mass-public-shootings-in-the-us-and-europe/

Well, yeah, this is primarily due to the attack on Utoya. The victims were camping on an island. There was no escape and no place to hide. The death toll was very high.
The logic of a shooting stays the same. Shooters shoot at nearby people. Norway has fewer people than the US, but of course, there are spots where the density of people present is very high. Norwegians are not evenly spread across the land.
There have been some three mass shootings in Norway in the last ten years. There have been almost 300 hundred mass shootings in the United States in 2022 alone. There is no doubt which country is practically safer.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2022, 05:15:44 AM »

Honestly, its one of the most basic rules of statistics that you have to watch out for one aberrant or exceptional thing distorting the "norm".

Norway is absolutely plainly and obviously *not* a more dangerous place than the US overall.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2022, 02:08:14 PM »

In any case classifying terrorist attacks such as Utřya (or at the Bataclan for that matter) as 'mass shootings' is not particularly honest. The latter is a particular phenomenon and quite distinct. There are marginal and borderline cases, but that wasn't one of them.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2022, 02:54:05 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2022, 02:58:09 PM by parochial boy »

I'm a little bit confused by that source to be honest. It is supposedly about mass public shootings, and then lists two attacks in Switzerland - one of which was a domestic affair. A tragedy yes, but not a public shooting.

In then goes on to list of total of 25 attacks in the US during the period 2009-15. Whereas Wiki suggests 23 attacks with at least 4 victims in 2022 alone.

I mean obviously I don't know the context of the attacks and whatever, but re-reading their definition as "Mass public shootings – defined as four or more people killed in a public place, and not in the course of committing another crime, and not involving struggles over sovereignty." I can't help but think there is - to put it the most kindly - more than a little bit of cherry picking going on here. That and some straight out instances of not actually comparing like to like.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2022, 06:29:38 PM »

Do you deem it XeNoPhObIc™ to connect the evident dots?

Obviously Islamism factored into the motivation. My point is that something like a Trump-inspired "Muslim Ban" still isn't a rational reaction to this tragedy should it happen. Of course, I may be getting ahead of myself, so far I haven't seen much of an indication of it. I suppose it's an instance of my cynicism getting the better of me, as so often happens. And I do apologize for that.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2022, 07:50:25 PM »

Why is Norway the only country on earth where this happens?Huh?

In no other developed country is this a weekly event.

Keep in mind that when the population of Norway is taken into account this mass shooting would be the equivalent of a shooting with nearly 100 fatalities in the United States.

That's not how mass shootings work, idiot.

In terms of deaths from mass shootings per capita, it’s exactly how it works.

That's still not how mass shootings work, idiot.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2022, 11:15:38 PM »

Ignore DT everyone. Despite being a gay man, his reaction to any sort of anti-gay violence is to Simply sneer, post something obnoxious to satisfy his true love of owning the libs.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2022, 01:51:27 PM »

Honestly, its one of the most basic rules of statistics that you have to watch out for one aberrant or exceptional thing distorting the "norm".

A rule that is routinely violated in the US by people who want to inspire fear and hatred toward adherents of a certain religion--while conveniently deflecting from the true nature of the most prevalent and deadly perpetrators of terrorism over here.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2022, 05:04:30 PM »

There have been some three mass shootings in Norway in the last ten years. There have been almost 300 hundred mass shootings in the United States in 2022 alone. There is no doubt which country is practically safer.

You gotta watch those untrustworthy Vikings though. They draw your last drop of blood with giant swords and then use your dismembered limbs in pagan rituals before tracking down your remaining family members for execution.

I think i will take my chances at the Ohio Walmart with the white autistic teenager with the AR-15 and the moustache which proves he has never had a girlfriend.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2022, 07:52:24 AM »

You gotta watch those untrustworthy Vikings though. They draw your last drop of blood with giant swords and then use your dismembered limbs in pagan rituals before tracking down your remaining family members for execution.

I think i will take my chances at the Ohio Walmart with the white autistic teenager with the AR-15 and the moustache which proves he has never had a girlfriend.

Their helmets never actually had horns on, though. Don't forget that.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies