SCOTUS-suspects can't sue officers for self-incriminating statements without Miranda Rights given (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:49:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS-suspects can't sue officers for self-incriminating statements without Miranda Rights given (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SCOTUS-suspects can't sue officers for self-incriminating statements without Miranda Rights given  (Read 1048 times)
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« on: June 23, 2022, 10:22:40 AM »

Good Lord when will people realize that they should just never give a statement to the police.

I would suggest reading the facts of this case.

This Court probably wants to overturn Miranda, but it's far too radioactive to overrule outright.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 10:38:28 AM »

Good Lord when will people realize that they should just never give a statement to the police.

I would suggest reading the facts of this case.

This Court probably wants to overturn Miranda, but it's far too radioactive to overrule outright.

Okay, but my general statement is still true.  There is zero good that comes out of giving police statements.

I don't disagree with that, but that's also largely a result of the Miranda decision from 1966. It is very ingrained in our culture. However, the individual in this case was an immigrant and was apparently subject to threats by the police. Even many people that know their rights could break when threatened while in custody. Fear is a very powerful emotion. Eliminating remedies for the protection of constitutional rights is an unfortunate and dangerous road to go down.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies