SCOTUS-suspects can't sue officers for self-incriminating statements without Miranda Rights given
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:52:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS-suspects can't sue officers for self-incriminating statements without Miranda Rights given
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SCOTUS-suspects can't sue officers for self-incriminating statements without Miranda Rights given  (Read 1021 times)
WV222
masterofawesome

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -6.26

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2022, 09:25:17 AM »

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 09:35:06 AM »

The larger issue here seems to be that Miranda rights have become entirely optional for the state.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 09:36:31 AM »

Utter trash ruling, the last thing we need is to be giving the police even greater license to abuse individuals during arrests.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 09:39:32 AM »

The larger issue here seems to be that Miranda rights have become entirely optional for the state.

Not exactly. A failure to read Miranda rights can still get incriminating statements thrown out of court. You just can't sue a cop for not reading them, but it doesn't affect your criminal case.
MiddleRoad
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 09:42:14 AM »

This may be the best court ever
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 09:54:37 AM »

Yeah, this case is deceptively not about Miranda Rights at all. It's actually about ensuring that police officers have no accountability.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2022, 10:17:05 AM »

Good Lord when will people realize that they should just never give a statement to the police. 
crazy jimmie
jamespol
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2022, 10:18:20 AM »

IMPEACH THEM NOW!!!
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2022, 10:22:40 AM »

Good Lord when will people realize that they should just never give a statement to the police.

I would suggest reading the facts of this case.

This Court probably wants to overturn Miranda, but it's far too radioactive to overrule outright.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2022, 10:24:23 AM »

This Court probably wants to overturn Miranda, but it's far too radioactive to overrule outright.

Okay, but my general statement is still true.  There is zero good that comes out of giving police statements.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2022, 10:28:17 AM »

This SCOTUS is quickly becoming a great thing for the police abolitionists considering how many people are going to be radicalized seeing so many abuses of power.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2022, 10:38:18 AM »

Why didn't we codify Miranda into federal law ?

Why is everything decided by the courts ??

That's not normal in a healthy democratic republic.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2022, 10:38:28 AM »

Okay, but my general statement is still true.  There is zero good that comes out of giving police statements.

I don't disagree with that, but that's also largely a result of the Miranda decision from 1966. It is very ingrained in our culture. However, the individual in this case was an immigrant and was apparently subject to threats by the police. Even many people that know their rights could break when threatened while in custody. Fear is a very powerful emotion. Eliminating remedies for the protection of constitutional rights is an unfortunate and dangerous road to go down.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2022, 10:39:54 AM »

This SCOTUS is quickly becoming a great thing for the police abolitionists considering how many people are going to be radicalized seeing so many abuses of power.

This is a ticking time bomb that conservatives are not prepared for. Distrust of the police is so incredibly widespread, even amongst conservatives, that once the oldest generations that still have any faith in law enforcement are gone there's not going to be any faith in our police left.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2022, 11:26:42 AM »

This is a ticking time bomb that conservatives are not prepared for. Distrust of the police is so incredibly widespread, even amongst conservatives, that once the oldest generations that still have any faith in law enforcement are gone there's not going to be any faith in our police left.

I know it's insane and could never be implemented and could have all sorts of negative unintended consequences, but I sometimes wonder what it would be like if we had police service by conscription.

Like, would it reduce police abuses because the police would no longer be drawn primarily from those who want to impose their own reactionary vision of order upon society? Or would serving in the police forces just lead to the draftees becoming reactionaries as they learned how much they like the ability to use force with little oversight?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2022, 11:51:33 AM »

I'm not guilty. I didn't do anything. I want an attorney/am getting an attorney. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2022, 11:54:02 AM »

Coupled with the fact that any competent law-abiding adult can carry a gun however they want... well... you get the idea.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2022, 11:59:11 AM »

I'm not guilty. I didn't do anything. I want an attorney/am getting an attorney. 

Yeah, just the last one for me, unless I didn't do it, then maybe the first two.  Smiley
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2022, 12:15:18 PM »

Yeah, just the last one for me, unless I didn't do it, then maybe the first two.  Smiley

By “doing it” you mean that they have come to arrest you and not investigate you.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2022, 01:16:20 PM »

Yeah, this case is deceptively not about Miranda Rights at all. It's actually about ensuring that police officers have no accountability.

If through their negligence a police officer makes it harder to prosecute someone, I expect their dept. will not be happy about that.  So there's a good chance there will be accountability in such a case, much more so than a lot of other kinds of cases involving police misconduct.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2022, 01:53:44 PM »

The hit parade of terrible Supreme Court decisions continues.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2022, 01:57:45 PM »

They're just blatantly making sh*t up as they go along.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2022, 02:01:08 PM »

Judging from new client interviews I do probably multiple times a day, almost never.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2022, 02:02:33 PM »

If through their negligence a police officer makes it harder to prosecute someone, I expect their dept. will not be happy about that.  So there's a good chance there will be accountability in such a case, much more so than a lot of other kinds of cases involving police misconduct.

Without the threat of litigation and damages to the city as a result of the cops actions? That is incredibly unrealistic to the point of naive.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2022, 02:04:11 PM »

Without the threat of litigation and damages to the city as a result of the cops actions? That is incredibly unrealistic to the point of naive.

Police Depts don't care if the people they arrest aren't convicted?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies