Long term, what blue states does the GOP have potential in? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:47:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Long term, what blue states does the GOP have potential in? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Long term, what blue states does the GOP have potential in?  (Read 1113 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« on: June 23, 2022, 08:49:05 AM »

I think it's pretty plausible that Rhode Island moves to the right, but borrowed time--implying that it would flip--is a bit of a stretch imo.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 12:09:12 PM »

NJ has the potential of a Pub snap back if the salience of economic issues waxes, and cultural issues wanes. NJ is not a woke state.

Jersey has a lot of educated suburbs that vote Dem, but it also has a lot of gritty postindustrial urban centers filled with poor immigrants and lower-middle class suburbanites--which would stay or even move more Dem in this scenario.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 12:52:45 PM »

NJ has the potential of a Pub snap back if the salience of economic issues waxes, and cultural issues wanes. NJ is not a woke state.

Jersey has a lot of educated suburbs that vote Dem, but it also has a lot of gritty postindustrial urban centers filled with poor immigrants and lower-middle class suburbanites--which would stay or even move more Dem in this scenario.

Would you consider Union City and the Jersey City highlands such gritty places?

My understanding is that that description characterizes the recent past of quite a bit of Hudson County accurately, but is much less applicable to the present as the area gentrifies, as you'd know. Still plenty of places where that's more accurate though--thinking of Paterson, Trenton, Perth Amboy, etc.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 05:19:03 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2022, 05:25:00 PM by Sol »

Also since Illinois was mentioned, I think Hawaii is state that could swing to the right. Hawaii is not that culturally liberal.

Plus it’s very homogenous, making it easier for a large rightwards shift to happen

Hawai‘i's not a homogenous state at all unless you're just looking at diversity in terms of census racial data. Asian-Americans in Hawai‘i are a very diverse community with many different historic waves of immigration and some notable political cultural cleavages. The swing to Trump in parts of Western O‘ahu and in the Western urban core of Honolulu was correlated with Filipino-American ancestry, for example (I think both of these also correspond with income though I could be wrong).

There a decently large number of Micronesians in Hawai'i too; only Arkansas is a bigger destination for people from the Marshall Islands.

Even white people in Hawai'i have some unusual demographics; the state is about 4% Portuguese-American, higher than Massachussetts.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies