Long term, what blue states does the GOP have potential in? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:31:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Long term, what blue states does the GOP have potential in? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Long term, what blue states does the GOP have potential in?  (Read 1130 times)
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« on: June 24, 2022, 09:57:14 AM »

NJ has the potential of a Pub snap back if the salience of economic issues waxes, and cultural issues wanes. NJ is not a woke state.

Any alignment where economic issues overshadow everything else would mean wokeness becomes irrelevant to voting patterns.  
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 06:28:48 PM »

Also since Illinois was mentioned, I think Hawaii is state that could swing to the right. Hawaii is not that culturally liberal.

Plus it’s very homogenous, making it easier for a large rightwards shift to happen

Hawai‘i's not a homogenous state at all unless you're just looking at diversity in terms of census racial data. Asian-Americans in Hawai‘i are a very diverse community with many different historic waves of immigration and some notable political cultural cleavages. The swing to Trump in parts of Western O‘ahu and in the Western urban core of Honolulu was correlated with Filipino-American ancestry, for example (I think both of these also correspond with income though I could be wrong).

There a decently large number of Micronesians in Hawai'i too; only Arkansas is a bigger destination for people from the Marshall Islands.

Even white people in Hawai'i have some unusual demographics; the state is about 4% Portuguese-American, higher than Massachussetts.

HI probably will continue trending R from the Obama era, but the state is still quite left-wing on race/multiculturalism and environmental issues, which will probably prevent HI from becoming competitive in the foreseeable future.

Aside from what you mentioned, the (non-mixed) Chinese community in HI is significantly more R than on the mainland which is partly due to its small size and their history of upward mobility through education and entrepreneurship, which sets them apart from the larger and comparatively working-class/blue-collar Japanese and Filipino communities.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies