Which of these decisions don't get overturned by SCOTUS this term?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:19:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Which of these decisions don't get overturned by SCOTUS this term?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Roe v Wade

Locke v Davey

Massachusetts v EPA

All get overturned this term

None get overturned this term

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 11

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which of these decisions don't get overturned by SCOTUS this term?  (Read 610 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2022, 09:13:06 AM »
« edited: June 13, 2022, 08:21:52 PM by God hates cigarettes »

Which ones don’t get overturned this term?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 05:57:18 PM »

We already know what will happen with Roe.

Very unlikely to overturn Locke; you can read Locke narrowly and say that it's only about barring the use of public funds for the training of clergy, distinguishing it on its facts (and ruling for the challengers in Carson v. Makin) rather than overturning it. That seems like the much more likely path they'll take.

There is zero chance they fully overturn Mass. v. EPA — not something the Court has any interest in doing. The legal architecture that has been built on top of that case, most notably in AEP v. Conn., relies on the holding in Mass. v. EPA that the CAA lets EPA regulate GHGs to conclude that the CAA displaces federal common law. If you overturn Mass. v. EPA entirely, you implicitly overturn AEP and open the door to common law suits against GHG emitters, which is an outcome I expect the Court will seek to avoid.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 06:55:26 PM »

I voted the opposite way because of this poll's terrible wording.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2022, 08:24:44 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2022, 03:03:53 PM by God hates cigarettes »

Carson v. Makin will overturn Locke v. Davey. West Virginia v. EPA will overturn Massachusetts v. EPA.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 08:26:01 PM »

Carson v. Makin will overturn Locke v. Davey. West Virginia v. EPA will overturn Massachusetts v. EPA.
wrong
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 05:28:27 PM »

Very unlikely to overturn Locke; you can read Locke narrowly and say that it's only about barring the use of public funds for the training of clergy, distinguishing it on its facts (and ruling for the challengers in Carson v. Makin) rather than overturning it. That seems like the much more likely path they'll take.

Just a reminder that I was right.

The funding in Locke was intended to be used "to prepare for the ministry." Funds could be and were used for theology courses; only pursuing a "vocational religious" degree was excluded.

Locke's reasoning expressly turned on what it identified as the "historic and substantial state interest" against using "taxpayer funds to support church leaders." But as we explained at length in Espinoza, "it is clear that there is no 'historic and substantial' tradition against aiding [private religious] schools comparable to the tradition against state-supported clergy invoked by Locke." Locke cannot be read beyond its narrow focus on vocational religious degrees to generally authorize the State to exclude religious persons from the enjoyment of public benefits
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies