Why is Sussex County, NJ so Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:50:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why is Sussex County, NJ so Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is Sussex County, NJ so Republican?  (Read 685 times)
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 21, 2022, 07:11:37 PM »

It seems to be somewhat immune to the national trends for suburban counties, it didn’t even swing to Hillary in 2016 at all. Is it significantly older then average and/or less educated?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 07:30:20 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2022, 08:19:38 PM by Roll Roons »

It's over 90% white and is so far out from NYC/Philadelphia that it isn't even really a suburb. It's much better described as exurban or even rural.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 07:55:32 PM »

As mentioned, it isn't really a "suburban" county.  It's more rural.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2022, 11:13:20 PM »

Because it's sus
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 12:35:28 AM »

FWIW I don't really think "it's more rural than suburban" even if true is a good explanation, demographically it's not like most rural counties at all. It's the 131st highest income county in the country which places it in the top 5th percentile and over 38% of residents have a college degree.

I think the two big factors are: 1-the fact that it's still superficially rural means that it doesn't attract people who are culturally liberal even if educated, (another similar place in NJ by the way is Colts Neck) and 2-check out the age distribution, it skews pretty old.

What I found surprising is it actually lost population last Census, not common in these type of exurban areas. One theory I've heard is that there hasn't been much new development there, and kids who grew up there and moving away and not coming back leaving empty nester parents who thus have a smaller population household, and families with kids aren't moving in to replace them.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 12:32:35 PM »

FWIW I don't really think "it's more rural than suburban" even if true is a good explanation, demographically it's not like most rural counties at all. It's the 131st highest income county in the country which places it in the top 5th percentile and over 38% of residents have a college degree.

I think the two big factors are: 1-the fact that it's still superficially rural means that it doesn't attract people who are culturally liberal even if educated, (another similar place in NJ by the way is Colts Neck) and 2-check out the age distribution, it skews pretty old.

What I found surprising is it actually lost population last Census, not common in these type of exurban areas. One theory I've heard is that there hasn't been much new development there, and kids who grew up there and moving away and not coming back leaving empty nester parents who thus have a smaller population household, and families with kids aren't moving in to replace them.

Urban, Rural and Suburban are sometimes very relative. I know I have a skewed idea of what it suburban or urban, since my hometown has a population density of around 5,000 per square mile. It's my idea of a suburban area, but that density to many other Americans would seem quite urban.

Sussex may not be typically rural but it absolutely feels that way to people from the rest of the New York metro area, including myself.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 07:50:00 PM »

Interestingly, I have a friend my age who bought a house with his fiancee in Stanhope for $300,000 and has lived there since the end of last year. Real estate is much cheaper there compared to most of New Jersey, and he has an acre or more of property. I'm not entirely sure what property taxes are like there, though. They're probably outliers though. I'm not sure too many other millennials are moving there.

And in my experience, I would consider it exurban overall. I've only really ever been to the towns of Byram, Sparta, Stanhope, and Vernon but those ones feel fairly close to any other suburb in the state, honestly. It's just that they're more sparsely populated and further from the city. Certainly there is also a lot more space and woodland areas though.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2022, 07:11:39 PM »

There's one exurban county among us!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length