1948: FDR doesn't die
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:05:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1948: FDR doesn't die
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1948: FDR doesn't die  (Read 497 times)
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2022, 04:02:36 PM »

How does his fourth term go?

I guess he wouldn't run for a fifth term
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 08:28:38 AM »

He wouldn't run again. Supposedly he wanted to be the first leader of the United Nations after the war.

Presumably Truman and Dewey still are the nominees, and I bet Truman still wins. It's possible FDR might even step down early to go to the UN and let Truman take over after the war, meaning the situation probably wouldn't be too different except Truman would have FDR's active support behind him which could be an extra asset for him.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 02:40:45 PM »

He wouldn't run again. Supposedly he wanted to be the first leader of the United Nations after the war.

Presumably Truman and Dewey still are the nominees, and I bet Truman still wins. It's possible FDR might even step down early to go to the UN and let Truman take over after the war, meaning the situation probably wouldn't be too different except Truman would have FDR's active support behind him which could be an extra asset for him.

I don't think Truman would have been the nominee as sitting vice president. He was not a member of FDR's inner circle and probably wouldn't even seek the presidency himself. Maybe Eisenhower runs four years early and wins handily? Dewey becomes Attorney General in his cabinet then.

Not sure Roosevelt would have resigned around 1946 to become UN General Secretary. No president had ever resigned before at that time.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 02:47:31 PM »

As has been said, he aims to be UN Secretary-General rather than running for a fifth term, possibly even resigning immediately after the war to lock down the position. What would be interesting is a scenario where Roosevelt is as healthy as can be and wants to keep running for president as long as possible, which I made a thread about a while ago: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=406792.msg7684065#msg7684065
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 09:07:41 AM »

I don't think Truman would have been the nominee as sitting vice president. He was not a member of FDR's inner circle and probably wouldn't even seek the presidency himself. Maybe Eisenhower runs four years early and wins handily? Dewey becomes Attorney General in his cabinet then.

Not sure Roosevelt would have resigned around 1946 to become UN General Secretary. No president had ever resigned before at that time.

Who would be nominated instead? Robert Jackson? I could actually imagine VP Truman being nominated as compromise candidate. As Missourian, he would most likely not offend Southerners that much while he was still liberal enough for Northerners and pro-labor enough for union support.

I doubt FDR would have resigned as prez during his 4th term as well. He actually wanted to focus on domestic policy again after the war, just as he said in his Second Bill of Rights speech from January 1944. Perhaps he would have been able to pass some social safety measures that weren't enacted until Johnson came along 20 years later.

He definitely would have retired in 1948 and not run for a 5th term.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 02:03:01 PM »

Ike didn’t really want to run, especially in 1948. So I doubt it. Probably still Dewey for the GOP.

And Truman was chosen as VP in part with the understanding that he very well could assume the presidency during the 1944 term. He was a compromise candidate for the convention/party with FDR’s blessing. Little changes there whether or not FDR resigns early. Yeah, VPs weren’t as powerful or seen as “heir apparents” back then like they are today, but Truman was kind of an exception. And yeah, resigning was unprecedented, but so were four terms. I can see FDR resigning both because of his health and to drive home the point that he really did only run again for extraordinary reasons.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2022, 09:28:36 AM »

Does this sound like the most egotistical thing on planet Earth? From President of the United States to King of the World.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies