Israel 2022 election (November 1st) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:45:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel 2022 election (November 1st) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Israel 2022 election (November 1st)  (Read 33719 times)
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: August 12, 2022, 07:30:57 AM »

Hopefully the Netanyahu clowns don't win too much. He is kinda like Trump in the sense that he really increased hatred around the world for Israel and Jews in general.

A very pertinent and correct observation.

And it is not (contrary to what some will claim) illegitimate to point it out.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 06:16:02 AM »

Hopefully the Netanyahu clowns don't win too much. He is kinda like Trump in the sense that he really increased hatred around the world for Israel and Jews in general.

See, I'm not a fan of Netanyahu, but I don't think this is true. He presided (from 2009-2020) over an epochal increase in support for Israel from countries around the world (certainly relations are better with most of Latin America/Africa/Arab countries/non-western Europe/India/China); something like the reverse of this is probably closer to accurate. His foreign policy successes are the most coherent reason to support him.

Yes, but isn't that governments rather than people?
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 10:04:37 AM »

Amazing what a 3.25% threshold vs a 3.0% threshold makes.

So it was previously 3% then? Why the change if so??
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 10:13:45 AM »

I actually think a threshold of 5% (as in Germany) may be a bit too high.

There is maybe a case for 2.5%, mostly eliminating total "joke" parties but enabling all non-negligible elements of the electorate to get some representation.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 10:52:23 AM »

I wonder if this will lead to a fall in Israel's image abroad again, it did seem to improve a bit recently.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 08:21:31 AM »

Wow, Ashdod and Be'er Sheba are sh**tholes.
Also, very worrying and telling that both RZ and Balad are the biggest benefactors in mixed cities. These cities aren't going in a good direction.
It saddens me that so few know what Balad voters are actually like, even among my political compatriots in the left.

What are they like for someone like me who doesn't know much about Balad at all?

Middle-class, politically aware, highly educated, often Christian, and usually urban. Basically as far away from the weirdo RZ voters as you can get. The key dynamic in Israeli society right now is that the Arab public is becoming better educated wealthier, and politically more serious, while the Jewish public is being consumed by fanaticism, hatred, growing poverty, etc. Balad is such a threat to political establishment because it is at the spearhead of a major social dynamic that nobody wants to see happen--the Zionist narrative of enlightened Jews making a Middle Eastern country thrive in the middle of Arab darkness is challenged endlessly by urbane Arabs pointing out the basic injustice of occupation and ethnic hatred.

Given that they are basically winning (and have been for a while) why are many Jews so unhappy?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies