Opinion of Phoebe Bridgers' 'Chinese Satellite' (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:47:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Opinion of Phoebe Bridgers' 'Chinese Satellite' (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opinion of Phoebe Bridgers' 'Chinese Satellite'  (Read 1583 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« on: June 24, 2022, 06:09:17 AM »

One of my favorite albums ever made. It gets almost everything right.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 05:30:02 PM »

For those unaware, Chinese Satellite tells the story of someone who, seemingly unlike their loved ones, is not meaningfully religious or spiritual, but wishes they were able to have faith, both because they yearn for there to be an afterlife so they don't have to face up to their loved ones being gone forever when they die, and more ambiguously, maybe also because on some level they feel an aimlessness as a result of their lack of faith.

I've found this song interesting ever since I heard it, partly because it's just a good song but mostly because it's always notable when a song gets this unambiguously close to home. I'm not as bothered by whether there's an afterlife or not, but as time passes and I gain a better understanding of myself I have definitely moved on from reactive nu atheism and exhausting narrow-minded rationalism and come to recognise that as one of many symptoms of a broader disconnect from the world that's plagued me all my life and kept me from actually experiencing a lot of things.

What do you think? Does this song represent your values too? Do you welcome it as a sign that some younger people are slowly recognising the void in their lives and turning towards faith? Is it yet another small sign of the slow turn away from patriarchy rationalism that's eating away at Western society? Was this whole thread just a wistful post-ironic waste of your time?
I love it
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies