Opinion of Phoebe Bridgers' 'Chinese Satellite' (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:48:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Opinion of Phoebe Bridgers' 'Chinese Satellite' (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Opinion of Phoebe Bridgers' 'Chinese Satellite'  (Read 1626 times)
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« on: June 19, 2022, 01:59:02 PM »

This is a struggle that I held through most of my adolescence after growing out of the all too Bush-era Dawkinsite milieu enforced by my parents. Growing into spirituality was a lengthy, experimental process, and is forever ongoing.

Quote from: Genius annotations
The satellite represents science serving as a quasi-faith and something to believe in, with Phoebe stating “I love science — I think science is like the closest thing to that that you’ll get [to the supernatural]”.

This false dichotomy being upheld by Ken Ham-Neil Tyson debate bro culture, though, plays an important role in enforcing the struggle to arrive at spirituality from no spiritual priors (as is its intention!), and disassembling the conception thereof in my philosophical priors was an essential part of my spiritual growth. Of course, the woo-woo ecofeminist path I have found myself on is perhaps uniquely oriented towards this, but in my experience it is not remotely unique to mine; my dear Argentine friend, for instance, is quite proud of incorporating Spinoza's interpretation of the nature of divinity within a Catholic framework. Finding the divine in one's immediate mundanity is just as vital as finding it in heightened experience and broad Jungian arcs of meaning.

Is it yet another small sign of the slow turn away from patriarchy rationalism that's eating away at Western society?

Without getting too post-ironically WE'MOON as I must restrain myself from doing at times, spirituality has indeed been for me a deeper way of communing with my femininity that cuts away at both my physicality and learned masculinity distorting it and the broader societal order of patriarchy-in-deferred-crisis and ecological post-post-apocalypse. There are times when I have more millenarian impulses about the violent death of one order giving birth in the ecstatic throes of travail to one more fit to divine order, or when I simply feel deep mourning transfigured into love; either impulse is more cathartic and productive than the detachment that you bemoan, that I had felt before. Through genuine connection to the earth and to those like you who dare to contemplate the vastness without prejudice and don't become shallower with proximity is how faith is expressed as love, and indeed to me faith is the ultimate form of love (agape, as it were).

Next do Bowie's "Quicksand" Wink
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2022, 01:04:53 AM »

Despite being irreligious I’ve long accepted my false idols. Occam’s Razor dictates 90% of being a Philly sports fan is some malevolent cosmic entity tormenting me for my sins in a past life.

I (and discovolante) raise you:

I have never felt such a breadth of fervor becoming malaise as a member of any broader community as was in the air here when we lost the 2012 AL East to the Yankees. We as a people were in tatters, and it can be said that we never really recovered on levels not limited to the O's marching right back into the sea since then.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies