2000: No 22nd Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 02:03:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2000: No 22nd Amendment
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2000: No 22nd Amendment  (Read 1251 times)
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2022, 03:25:50 PM »

I think Bill Clinton would win, even with the Lewinsky scandal as the economy was booming.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 04:21:17 PM »

1996 repeat, give or take AZ, KY, and TN.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 04:25:01 PM »

Obviously Bill Purple heart wins in a huge landslide, as his abysmal, historically low favorability/character ratings played absolutely no role in the defeat of Gore, who only lost because he didn’t embrace Bill Purple heart enough. Even Monica would have beaten Bush with a single-issue campaign focused on MORE JOBS.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 04:44:18 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2022, 09:12:05 PM by Dereich »

Obviously Bill Purple heart wins in a huge landslide, as his abysmal, historically low favorability/character ratings played absolutely no role in the defeat of Gore, who only lost because he didn’t embrace Bill Purple heart enough. Even Monica would have beaten Bush with a single-issue campaign focused on MORE JOBS.

This but VERY unironically.

537 “votes” in Florida (as we all know, many thousands of old Jewish Democrats voted for borderline Nazi Pat Buchanan in Palm Beach County as an inexplicable act of protest that year) separated Sleepy Al’s terrible anti-Clinton campaign from the White House as it was.

But I’m sure maybe the greatest retail politician of all-time, whose approval rating reached a high in the 70s DURING his impeachment and is one of only a few presidents in history to defy the six-year itch, would have struggled more because “character” ratings matter MUCH more than job approval ratings in American voting habits, hence why Donald Trump never got more than like 20% of the vote in any election. I’m sure Bill would have lost Florida in particular (despite winning it easily four years earlier) because, as we all know, Florida has a distinct history of rejecting sleazy politicians of dubious “character.”

It’s the economy, stupid.

Always has been.

I mean Jesus Christ, Arkansas and Kentucky were ready to vote for Hillary by mere association with Bill as late as 2008! But sure, everyone just hated him in 2000 with his 67%+ approval ratings and the first budget surplus since Andrew Jackson, an unprecedented golden age of peace and prosperity. Most Americans were just DYING to change course at such a time!
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 05:50:57 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2022, 06:02:56 PM by Beto O'Rourke is clueless »

*SNIP*
Did MT Treasurer steal your lunch money as a kid or something?

Anyway to answer the question, he would probably have lost. His favorability ratings would have collapsed as Bush and the right-wing attack machine got revved up.

And Buchanan wasn't a "Nazi", lol.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 06:11:40 PM »

Clinton wins all the Gore state plus FL, MO, NH, and AR.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2022, 06:47:35 PM »

Eh, Bill's relationship with Monica, and the way both he and the Republicans handled it, would have been substantially different if he could have ran for another term.

How that would have affected him is hard to determine. I could see him being more "careful" so to speak in a way he obviously wasn't in real life, or I could this being far more damaging.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2022, 07:34:04 PM »

The Lewinsky Scandal means Clinton does much worse than 1992 and 1996, but he's still a relatively popular incumbent who should be able to win reelection by a modest electoral vote margin, and significantly larger margin in the popular vote.

Bill Clinton/Al Gore 53%
George W. Bush/Elizabeth Dole 46%
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2022, 11:39:38 PM »

Honestly, I think Bill Clinton would not have ran for a 3rd term even if he could.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2022, 12:54:42 AM »

Honestly, I think Bill Clinton would not have ran for a 3rd term even if he could.

In that case we probably get Hillary Clinton for President eight/sixteen years early.

I think she'd have run in 2000 if she thought she could beat Gore in the primary.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2022, 04:05:54 AM »

It's too unfortunate that the 22nd Amendment may gave us both Dubya and Trump. Both won very narrowly and lost the popular vote while the incumbent Democratic president was term-limited, but could have easily beaten them.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2022, 01:26:57 AM »

In that case we probably get Hillary Clinton for President eight/sixteen years early.

I think she'd have run in 2000 if she thought she could beat Gore in the primary.

Without political experience in the Senate? Doubt it.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2022, 01:29:59 AM »

Hillary easily could have been in 2000 (or 2004 IRL) what Obama was in 2008, especially if she was running against Gore in the primary.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2022, 01:34:50 AM »

Hillary easily could have been in 2000 (or 2004 IRL) what Obama was in 2008, especially if she was running against Gore in the primary.

Yes, it's easy to paint yourself as an outsider when your spouse is the incumbent president.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2022, 01:43:16 AM »

Yes, it's easy to paint yourself as an outsider when your spouse is the incumbent president.

Compared to Gore, who'd been in elected office since 1977? Hillary would have very much been an outsider.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2022, 01:48:59 AM »

You mean Senator Obama? 2004 maybe, 2000 no.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2022, 04:15:17 AM »

No way the incumbent President loses in 2000 with things as great as they were.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2022, 10:19:36 AM »

No way Clinton would have lost these approvals; the question is just whether he would have been less popular without the 22nd Amendment? Politicians retiring tend to be more popular than those running for reelection. But given how close it was, incumbency advantage and his charisma, there's still little reason to believe W could have ousted Clinton.

Since Perot doesn't contest the race this time around, Clinton finally wins an election with an absolute majority of the NPV, but fewer EC votes compared to 1992/96. Btw, I think Clinton could have pulled an FDR without term limits, (narrowly) winning a 4th term in 2004 over John McCain. Would have retired or finally lost in 2008 though.

✓ President Bill Clinton (D-AR)/Vice President Al Gore (D-TN): 334 EVs.; 50.7%
Governor George W. Bush (R-TX)/Former Def. Sec. Richard Cheney (R-WY): 205 EVs.; 47.4%
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2022, 11:34:28 AM »

This but VERY unironically.

537 “votes” in Florida (as we all know, many thousands of old Jewish Democrats voted for borderline Nazi Pat Buchanan in Palm Beach County as an inexplicable act of protest that year) separated Sleepy Al’s terrible anti-Clinton campaign from the White House as it was.

But I’m sure maybe the greatest retail politician of all-time, whose approval rating reached a high in the 70s DURING his impeachment and is one of only a few presidents in history to defy the six-year itch, would have struggled more because “character” ratings matter MUCH more than job approval ratings in American voting habits, hence why Donald Trump never got more than like 20% of the vote in any election. I’m sure Bill would have lost Florida in particular (despite winning it easily four years earlier) because, as we all know, Florida has a distinct history of rejecting sleazy politicians of dubious “character.”

It’s the economy, stupid.

Always has been.

I mean Jesus Christ, Arkansas and Kentucky were ready to vote for Hillary by mere association with Bill as late as 2008! But sure, everyone just hated him in 2000 with his 67%+ approval ratings and the first budget surplus since Andrew Jackson, an unprecedented golden age of peace and prosperity. Most Americans were just DYING to change course at such a time!

I personally like Gore better then Clinton and have my criticisms of Clintonism ideologically but I think that you are probably correct here. Gore was in many ways similar to Nixon in 1960 in that both were uncharismatic Vice Presidents who failed to ride the coattails of the more popular president they served under and lost narrow elections under questionable circumstances in a time of peace and prosperity.
NixonFan
United States
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2022, 11:12:13 PM »

LMAO....yeah right
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies