RBH's Maps (Now, Atlas Election Entry Script & County Map Generation) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:01:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  About this Site
  The Atlas
  RBH's Maps (Now, Atlas Election Entry Script & County Map Generation) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: RBH's Maps (Now, Atlas Election Entry Script & County Map Generation)  (Read 145557 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« on: December 30, 2006, 08:44:49 PM »

I think we should find a way to keep RBH's maps and maps made by any other member of the forum.  Putting them on the wiki (hopefully with the data) would be a good way for everyone to look at this information.

I've put a lot of my maps on the Wiki. Just ask Dave for an account.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 06:55:07 PM »

Error: Geographic type Type for Name is not in database. Please check spelling or email Dave

Check to be sure that the header row has been removed from the data file (data file should only include county, city, and state-level data rows and no column titles)
Errors Encountered. Data not entered. Please correct and resubmit.

I get that error now. I was using OpenOffice before and there was no .txt option, so now I am using Excel and saving it as tab-delimited .txt file and still having trouble.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 07:19:40 PM »

Thanks, I finally got it to work using Excel. I deleted the top row with the party names and all of the other states. The tables don't work, but I think RBH already mentioned that.

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?year=1972&off=5&elect=0&fips=53&f=0

The third party button doesn't work either.

For idiots like me using Excel:
-Select all of the data, right-click format cells, and click "number," there is a check-box to turn off automatic commas. You could also try the "general" thing Dave mentioned earlier.
-There is a plus sign to the left of the states that you click to show the counties of that state (Rob Tongue)
-Delete all states other than the one you entered data for
-Delete the top row where the party names are.
-Save as, save as type tab-delimited .txt
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 08:06:34 PM »

Tried doing the 2004 Washington Democratic Primary for Governor. The page I got after I hit upload showed the map ( https://uselectionatlas.org/SCRIPTS/gen_county_map.php?year=2004&off=5&elect=1&fips=53 ) but the first link to the summary page took me to the 2004 General Election page, and the rest of the links did not work.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 01:31:12 AM »

Dave,
It seems that the tables for everyone else's submissions do indeed work, but mine do not! I've compared my files with Alcon's and neither of us can figure out what is wrong.

When I click the tables for my pages, it gives me this message:

Warning: mysql_result(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /usr/www/users/leip/RESULTS/data.php on line 803

Do you know what could be wrong?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 07:44:33 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2007, 07:53:20 PM by Jesus »

Hey Dave,

I've come across 1776-1860 gubernatorial results by county and was considering submitting the data. However, I was wondering if there would be any problems with submitting numbers for such old elections. Particularly, I was wondering if there would be a problem with county boundaries arising from the non-existance of many counties so long ago. For a state like Oregon, most of its counties were not yet in existance by 1860. Would they show up as grey? I know that for older presidential results you seemed to have fixed this problem, showing the county boundaries as they were during the election.

Just wanted to know before I tried.

Thanks.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 10:58:19 PM »

Hi Jesus!
Very cool.  A couple of points:
1. please enter only official data (I prefer not to add data for another compilation for two reasons -
a. often candidates are omitted or aggregated and b. official sources have more credibility.)

2. I haven't really started looking at county boundaries for such old elections and I recommend holding off for the time being - there is quite a bit of work to understand the boundary changes, create modified maps, update the shapes database, etc.  Currently, county boundary changes are supported as follows:
Most Ohio Valley States and Northeastern states' county boundaries are unchanged for some time, check the animated county gif for an approximate idea for how far back you can go before boundaries change in a given state.

Montana: all since statehood on Presidential years (boundary changes in between may not be supported)
Wyoming: all since 1904 on Presidential years
Kansas: all since 1888
Arizona: all since statehood
California: all since 1892 on Presidential years
Michigan: all since 1884 on Presidential years
Colorado: Changes to Denver in 1988 and Broomfield in 2002
Maine: Changes to Cumberland/Oxford County in 1978
New Mexico: Change in 1984
South Dakota: back to 1920
Virginia: back to 1921
Wisconsin: Change in 1964

Oh, well its just a book at the library so if its not accurate enough I won't bother.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 07:28:15 PM »

I looked at the book today. It does seem to include minor candidates that received less than 1% of the vote and give its sources which are often official... If you don't want me to use it though, I won't.

Alcon stayed up until 1PM (in the afternoon!) that one night and did all of Washington so I'm just looking for something else to do... Undecided
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 07:28:57 AM »

Hi Dave,

I was wondering it would be possible to add Presidential primary results?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 05:55:04 PM »

Possible bug; I added Alabama gubernatorial election results for 1946-1986 (I've assumed 1990 and 1994 will be added soon) and noticed that the party buttons don't work for for the elections before 1970.

And, somewhat off topic, Louisiana has their 1987 runoff election online but not the general. Strange...
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 06:04:35 PM »

Dave, is there any chance we could get clarification on what to with blanket primaries? They don't quite fit any of the definitions presented in the upload script. I've just been doing them as open primaries, but I would like your opinion...
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 04:11:03 PM »

Dave, is there any chance we'll ever be able to submit primaries for third parties?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 06:55:08 PM »

I'm trying to upload maps, but I'm getting all this:

Error: First-line fips code of the data file does not match the chosen state. Check selected state and whether first line of data file is the correct data for the first county of the selected state.

Error: Geographic type Type for Name is not in database. Please check spelling or email Dave

Check to be sure that the header row has been removed from the data file (data file should only include county, city, and state-level data rows and no column titles)
Error: Last-line fips code of the data file does not match the chosen state. Check whether last line of data file is the correct data for the statewide total (does the file have blank lines?).

Error: Candidate 1 name entered in the form, but has 0 total vote. Check that data file columns match candidate numbers.

Error: Candidate 2 name entered in the form, but has 0 total vote. Check that data file columns match candidate numbers.

Error: Candidate 3 name entered in the form, but has 0 total vote. Check that data file columns match candidate numbers.

Can anyone help me? This is quite frustrating Sad

Yeah it can be confusing. If you want to upload the file somewhere I can take a look at it for you.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 12:32:51 AM »

DAVE,

The upload system doesn't seem to allow elections from 2012. It gives me "year is invalid." I notice nobody else has uploaded any 2012 maps, so I wouldn't be surprised if others have the same problem.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies