RBH's Maps (Now, Atlas Election Entry Script & County Map Generation)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:00:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  About this Site
  The Atlas
  RBH's Maps (Now, Atlas Election Entry Script & County Map Generation)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: RBH's Maps (Now, Atlas Election Entry Script & County Map Generation)  (Read 145109 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2007, 03:29:34 PM »

I have no idea how I managed this. but it should be deleted.

Commas in the file, probably.

Yeah, but it took impressive stupidity on my part to do that AND upload it as the 1990 Senate special election instead of 1994 General AFTER I had uploaded it correctly.  I don't even remember doing it.  Tongue

Thanks, Dave.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2007, 07:44:33 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2007, 07:53:20 PM by Jesus »

Hey Dave,

I've come across 1776-1860 gubernatorial results by county and was considering submitting the data. However, I was wondering if there would be any problems with submitting numbers for such old elections. Particularly, I was wondering if there would be a problem with county boundaries arising from the non-existance of many counties so long ago. For a state like Oregon, most of its counties were not yet in existance by 1860. Would they show up as grey? I know that for older presidential results you seemed to have fixed this problem, showing the county boundaries as they were during the election.

Just wanted to know before I tried.

Thanks.
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2007, 10:26:25 PM »

Hi Jesus!
Very cool.  A couple of points:
1. please enter only official data (I prefer not to add data for another compilation for two reasons -
a. often candidates are omitted or aggregated and b. official sources have more credibility.)

2. I haven't really started looking at county boundaries for such old elections and I recommend holding off for the time being - there is quite a bit of work to understand the boundary changes, create modified maps, update the shapes database, etc.  Currently, county boundary changes are supported as follows:
Most Ohio Valley States and Northeastern states' county boundaries are unchanged for some time, check the animated county gif for an approximate idea for how far back you can go before boundaries change in a given state.

Montana: all since statehood on Presidential years (boundary changes in between may not be supported)
Wyoming: all since 1904 on Presidential years
Kansas: all since 1888
Arizona: all since statehood
California: all since 1892 on Presidential years
Michigan: all since 1884 on Presidential years
Colorado: Changes to Denver in 1988 and Broomfield in 2002
Maine: Changes to Cumberland/Oxford County in 1978
New Mexico: Change in 1984
South Dakota: back to 1920
Virginia: back to 1921
Wisconsin: Change in 1964

bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2007, 10:58:19 PM »

Hi Jesus!
Very cool.  A couple of points:
1. please enter only official data (I prefer not to add data for another compilation for two reasons -
a. often candidates are omitted or aggregated and b. official sources have more credibility.)

2. I haven't really started looking at county boundaries for such old elections and I recommend holding off for the time being - there is quite a bit of work to understand the boundary changes, create modified maps, update the shapes database, etc.  Currently, county boundary changes are supported as follows:
Most Ohio Valley States and Northeastern states' county boundaries are unchanged for some time, check the animated county gif for an approximate idea for how far back you can go before boundaries change in a given state.

Montana: all since statehood on Presidential years (boundary changes in between may not be supported)
Wyoming: all since 1904 on Presidential years
Kansas: all since 1888
Arizona: all since statehood
California: all since 1892 on Presidential years
Michigan: all since 1884 on Presidential years
Colorado: Changes to Denver in 1988 and Broomfield in 2002
Maine: Changes to Cumberland/Oxford County in 1978
New Mexico: Change in 1984
South Dakota: back to 1920
Virginia: back to 1921
Wisconsin: Change in 1964

Oh, well its just a book at the library so if its not accurate enough I won't bother.
RBH

« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2007, 10:09:09 AM »

Yeah, I figure the county changes may be one thing slowing down Texas maps too.

That, and the claim of no results for El Paso in 1924.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2007, 10:16:32 AM »

What about Los Alamos in the 40s? The last changes before that were in the first quarter of the century.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2007, 07:28:15 PM »

I looked at the book today. It does seem to include minor candidates that received less than 1% of the vote and give its sources which are often official... If you don't want me to use it though, I won't.

Alcon stayed up until 1PM (in the afternoon!) that one night and did all of Washington so I'm just looking for something else to do... Undecided
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2007, 07:47:44 PM »

What about Los Alamos in the 40s? The last changes before that were in the first quarter of the century.

Vielen Dank!  New Mexico boundary changes weren't accounted for in either the shapes database or the mapgen script.  I've added both sets of information, so New Mexico is now complete back to statehood - with a caveat:
Boundary between Socorro/Sierra and Chaves/Roosevelt is different from a couple of different sources in the 1920s.  Anyone with traceable information on the evolution of these two boundaries?
Thanks
Dave
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2007, 07:55:06 PM »

I looked at the book today. It does seem to include minor candidates that received less than 1% of the vote and give its sources which are often official... If you don't want me to use it though, I won't.

Alcon stayed up until 1PM (in the afternoon!) that one night and did all of Washington so I'm just looking for something else to do... :-

Wow.  I'll have to give the data a double-check... I know what sleep-deprivation can do... but that is some passion!

How about working the WA border states?  Idaho is very easy as the SOS already has data back to the early 90s in spreadsheets.  Montana also has official abstracts posted (I downloaded the spreadhseets a while ago - but they don't seem to be available anymore, so I posted them here.  I also obtained 1984, 1988, and 1992 OR Abstracts in pdf form also here.  These abstracts are scans and therfore require typing.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2007, 10:46:58 PM »

Dave,

Thanks, but Montana appears to be undownloadable (no permissions).  I'll work on Oregon some more.
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2007, 12:06:04 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2007, 12:12:34 AM by Dave Leip »

That was odd - I've changed permissions to allow all read.  I also posted three pdf versions of the Colorado Official Abstracts that I dug up (1997-99, 2001-02, and 2003-04).
Thanks,
Dave
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2007, 01:12:50 AM »

Thanks Dave.

Tied results are still showing up as empty, by the way.  Smiley  I'm not sure if that's been reported yet...

Montana is going great - the spreadsheet format really helps.
RBH

« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2007, 04:29:12 AM »

You mean that Owyhee County doesn't like Bears that much?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2007, 05:43:20 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2007, 03:55:53 PM by Alcon »

You mean that Owyhee County doesn't like Bears that much?

No, they love bears and the environment.

And are the only county to buck every other voting trend on those maps.
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2007, 11:14:49 AM »

Thanks Dave.

Tied results are still showing up as empty, by the way.  Smiley  I'm not sure if that's been reported yet...

Montana is going great - the spreadsheet format really helps.

Cool - but - there is a problem...  I should have warned ahead of time (Note that checkbox that asks to verify that the county order is the same in the source as the template spreadsheet).  McCone and Madison counties are reversed in all your entries (excel sorts Mc after Ma, but traditionally, Mc has always been listed before Ma and the fips code supports the latter order).  This is a headache that I am constantly having to deal with - in printed sources, I have to check the order of every printed county name before entering the data... so, I think you'll need to redo...  let me work to create an easier way to change just the data for a race and I'll post another message on this thread when its ready.

I'll also add a red/green tie color.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2007, 11:23:10 AM »

Blue/green too.
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2007, 01:28:12 PM »

I've now added data update functionality to the upload script: at the bottom of any data page that you contributed, there is a new link "Change Data for this Contest".   This will allow you to upload the new data for that contest without touching any of the other information (candidates, sources, etc.).

Dave
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2007, 01:36:20 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2008, 09:45:00 PM by Dave Leip »

I also added official publications for AZ (pdf canvasses), Idaho (excel canvasses), and Delaware (pdf scan official results) to the DOC folder.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2007, 03:56:52 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2007, 04:28:09 PM by Alcon »

#%@!

Thanks for the change data script.  That will make this a little easier.  Tongue

EDIT: It will be until later in the day when I have access to the computer with the MT files.  I'll try to make a macro and see if I can swap the two lines automatically, but for now I'll add Delaware.

EDIT 2: The DE 2000 file needs read rights too.  Thanks Smiley
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2007, 04:34:40 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2007, 04:45:50 PM by Dave Leip »

I've changed the permissions to allow for write-access.  Note that with Delaware, later years separate out the City of Wilmington from 'Rural New Castle County'.  You'll need to add the two for the New Castle figure.

Also for the DE documents, use the "Document" source choice with the following information:
example: for 1996:
Author: Thomas J. Cook
Author Title: Commissioner of Elections
Author Compiled: prep.
Agency: Delaware Department of Elections
Title: State of Delaware 1996 Election Results
Article: State of Delaware Official Results of General Election for Statewide Offices November 5, 1996
Source Pages: p. 2

Also note the write-ins starting on p. 36.
So Lt. Governor should also have a total figure for write-ins of 22 votes, even though there are no county-level data.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #120 on: January 14, 2007, 04:39:01 PM »

Done.  Note that with Delaware, later years separate out the City of Wilmington from New Castle County.  You'll need to add the two for the New Castle figure.

Yeah, that's a little annoying.  In earlier years, they also don't provide the losing candidate's full names - just the last names.  There doesn't appear to be any place online with this information.  Is it OK to just enter their last names for now, and update them when they're found?
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #121 on: January 14, 2007, 05:04:23 PM »

Done.  Note that with Delaware, later years separate out the City of Wilmington from New Castle County.  You'll need to add the two for the New Castle figure.

Yeah, that's a little annoying.  In earlier years, they also don't provide the losing candidate's full names - just the last names.  There doesn't appear to be any place online with this information.  Is it OK to just enter their last names for now, and update them when they're found?

Hi Alcon,
Sure, that is ok.  Post the names and offices in a thread and maybe you can enlist some help digging them up.  I'll also add a script to more easily edit candidate names/source info.
Also read the edits to my previous post as well.
Enjoy,
Dave
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #122 on: January 14, 2007, 05:08:38 PM »

Also, for the many Maryland members, there is always the Maryland Manual.  From the present back into the 19th century, they have compilation of scanned pdfs of the original manuals.  It takes a bit of getting used to finding the right pages with the election results - I tend to start in the index and find "E", look for election results and then go to that page.  Be sure to use the pdf versions and not the attempted OCR html data as there are often incorrect data in the html.  If you find the right pages, please also download them and send them to me, letting me know which edition of the manual they are from.  Finally, use the "Document" source choice with the appropriate information.
Thanks,
Dave
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2007, 05:41:34 PM »

For the Illinois Buff, there are the Illinois Blue Books back to 1900.  These also include election data as part of the document.  Also use "Document" for the source from any data here, including all the pertinant info: For example:
Goveror Illinois 1912

Source Author: Harry Woods
Source Author Title: Secretary of State
Source Author Compiled: comp.
Source Agency: Illinois Secretary of State
Source Title: Blue Book of the State of Illinois 1913-1914
Source Article: Vote for Governor - November 5, 1912
Source Publisher: Illinois Printing Company
Source City: Danville
Source Year: 1914
Source Pages: pp. 569-570
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #124 on: January 15, 2007, 07:02:52 PM »

Dave,

All of the maps created before Texaslefty's CA Prop 81 map (2007-01-15   01:55:05) are coming up with db errors.  The maps are still showing, but the features of the pages are non-operational.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies