RBH's Maps (Now, Atlas Election Entry Script & County Map Generation)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:52:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  About this Site
  The Atlas
  RBH's Maps (Now, Atlas Election Entry Script & County Map Generation)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: RBH's Maps (Now, Atlas Election Entry Script & County Map Generation)  (Read 145087 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2007, 01:31:12 AM »

Dave,
It seems that the tables for everyone else's submissions do indeed work, but mine do not! I've compared my files with Alcon's and neither of us can figure out what is wrong.

When I click the tables for my pages, it gives me this message:

Warning: mysql_result(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /usr/www/users/leip/RESULTS/data.php on line 803

Do you know what could be wrong?
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2007, 07:49:18 AM »

And this to 2002, if it isn't too much trouble.

This map should also be changed to 2002- for some reason, I entered it in the wrong year. I also slightly misspelled the Democrat's first name as "Byran" instead of Bryan. 

Also note that this map was an attempt to correct the original map, which has the correct year and candidate spellings... but also reversed numbers in Athens County.

One of these maps should be deleted; the other should be fixed. My attempts to override the existing data have only resulted in error messages, so... can you help? Wink
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2007, 08:43:03 AM »

I've finished all of the do-able Washington election offices back to 1972 (click here).

Also, I notice that as it stands, red is being used for "yes" and green for "no" on initiative maps.  Isn't it generally the other way around, with "green" signifying success/go, etc.?

(Also added more to the initiative part above.)

This was an error on my part that I made late last night.  Thanks.  Yes is green and No is red.
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2007, 08:54:40 AM »

I've finished all of the do-able Washington election offices back to 1972 (click here).

(Also added more to the initiative part above.)

Way to go Alcon!  Great enthusiasm!  Keep it up!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2007, 08:58:29 AM »

These contests will also show up in the state election page, such as: here
Thanks,
Dave  
What links to this page? ie, how to access it without either going to this thread on the forum first or bookmarking the address? ie, how would I find it if I didn't know it existed?

EDIT: I love all of you. Just needed to get that off my chest. Smiley
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2007, 09:31:22 AM »

The state election page is linked at the bottom of each election page, such as South Carolina Governor 2002.  Its called "<state name> Election Results Home".  You also can select them from the pull-down menu at the bottom: Choose another Office.

They link doesn't exist in the frame version at the moment - I'll add that to the list of things to do.
Dave
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2007, 09:43:12 AM »

Dave, if you can, would you mind changing this to 1976?  I'm not sure there is an easy way of doing it.

Corrections completed.
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2007, 09:46:25 AM »

This map should also be changed to 2002- for some reason, I entered it in the wrong year. I also slightly misspelled the Democrat's first name as "Byran" instead of Bryan. 

Also note that this map was an attempt to correct the original map, which has the correct year and candidate spellings... but also reversed numbers in Athens County.

One of these maps should be deleted; the other should be fixed. My attempts to override the existing data have only resulted in error messages, so... can you help? Wink

The best way to correct for these is to over-write the data with the correct data.  Can you describe for me the errors?  You should only need to check the two boxes on the bottom of the entry form to over-write file and over-write data.

Thanks,
Dave
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2007, 10:33:06 AM »

The best way to correct for these is to over-write the data with the correct data.  Can you describe for me the errors?  You should only need to check the two boxes on the bottom of the entry form to over-write file and over-write data.

I was receiving this message:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Apparently there was a tiny error in the data, but I removed it: final corrected map

Now that's fixed, is there any way to remove this map completely? It was a dumb mistake on my part to put in the wrong year, and there's no reason for this to stay on the Atlas.
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2007, 10:49:20 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2007, 10:53:55 AM by Dave Leip »

Jesus - there was a very obscure bug in the script that was causing the data not to be loaded if there was no Democratic candidate.  This caused your Idaho election submissions to fail.  They should now work.  As for the data.php errors, this looks to be on my end (related to the office).  I'll work on the script to show this correctly.
Thanks!!
Dave
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2007, 10:51:24 AM »

Now that's fixed, is there any way to remove this map completely? It was a dumb mistake on my part to put in the wrong year, and there's no reason for this to stay on the Atlas.

Upload the correct data Smiley
http://www.sos.state.oh.us:80/SOS/ElectionsVoter/results2006.aspx?Section=1844
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2007, 11:03:17 AM »

Another Thought - hold off for a short time on Initiative/state-wide questions.  I have some additional thoughts on how to present/store this info.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2007, 12:07:28 PM »

Done.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2007, 12:24:25 PM »

Great stuff Smiley
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2007, 01:24:41 PM »

Another Thought - hold off for a short time on Initiative/state-wide questions.  I have some additional thoughts on how to present/store this info.

Ha, I only read this after doing the North Dakota Referendum on a Lottery. Oh well.
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2007, 01:29:26 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2007, 04:23:52 PM by Dave Leip »

I've updated the script to modify how we handle initiatives, etc.  I've added a text field to place the name of the initiative (e.g. Amendment #1, Proposition 41, etc.)  I've changed the script to automatically place "Yes" and "No" in the right "Candidate" fields when an initiative or referendum is selected.  I've added a new table to keep track of the initiative names.  Here are two examples that I uploaded:

SC 2004 Amendment #2
SC 2004 Amendment #1

Note that the changes remove the name of the initiative from the "candidate" field.  I included the text of the initiative in the "Note 1" field and the explanation of the initiative in the "Note 2" field.

Let me know what you think.
Dave
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2007, 06:13:38 PM »

Dave, good work!

Is there a page of composite maps contributions? If so, can it be linked from the forum?

I was thinking of making some maps comparing Presidential/Senatorial/Gubernatorial results by county. The source, of course, would be the Atlas. How would I tackle this?
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2007, 09:24:21 AM »

Thanks Alcon.  I've removed the blue bars from the initiative data graph pages and resorted the county data in the data pages according to fips (this is an interesting problem: fips codes are not entirely in alphabetical order, so I don't sort the data in the tables I have created.  When the php grabs the mysql data without sort, they do so in order they appear in the table.  In our new table, what happens is when rows are deleted, new data is entered in an irregular fashion - I don't know any details as to why or what the algorithm looks like - but it causes the odd ordering when the php grabs the data).
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2007, 09:36:36 AM »

Dave, good work!

Is there a page of composite maps contributions? If so, can it be linked from the forum?

I was thinking of making some maps comparing Presidential/Senatorial/Gubernatorial results by county. The source, of course, would be the Atlas. How would I tackle this?

Thanks!  Its a great team effort!  Already 111 new contests with county maps on the site! in only three days!

The list of contributions is located here.  I'll be adding this link from other parts of the site as it matures.

You can see a great composite of maps for contests by state - for example: Washington 1980

Enjoy,
Dave
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2007, 02:28:51 PM »

For my MN Secretary of State 2002 table, I can't sort it in any order other than the default. I get this:

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /usr/www/users/leip/RESULTS/data.php on line 1014

Warning: mysql_num_rows(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource in /usr/www/users/leip/RESULTS/data.php on line 1371
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2007, 05:21:33 PM »

I have data for MS Insurance Commissioner and Agriculture Commissioner, but there's no way to upload those offices.  Is there any way those could be added too?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2007, 12:19:22 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2007, 12:45:46 AM by Alcon »

Dave - How do you want us to handle years with more than 5 initiatives?

EDIT: Also, there's probably no need to have the Compare County Data by Year feature for initiatives, since it just spits back a table with the same results repeated for every year that there are any initiative results for that state.  Same goes for measures and referendums.
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2007, 10:07:28 AM »

Great Job everyone!  I'm very impressed with enthusiasm!  I appreciate the quality of the effort.

Alcon, I've corrected the items mentioned below.  I've added 4 more initiative/referendum "offices".  I'm going to hold off on commissioners for the moment.   I've also corrected the sort bug in the data table.  The linked scripts from all these pages (except for population) all account for the new tables and should work properly.  Including population, voter registration, ballots cast, etc. requires a significantly larger infrastructure change that I do plan to tackle at some point.

Enjoy!
Dave
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2007, 11:06:47 AM »

I added the date to the source of the 1994 Primary election -
"1994 Democratic Primary Election 3/8/1994"
and changed the source of the runoff from
"1994 Democratic Primary Election" to
"1994 Democratic Primary Runoff Election 4/12/1994" (absence of the word "Runoff" looks like a carry-over error from the previous election upload).  I've also added a note to the 1994 Primary Election:
"With no candidate having received a majority of the vote, a <a href="https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?f=0&fips=48&elect=6&off=3&year=1994">runoff</a> election between Mattox and Fisher was held in April".

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2007, 02:59:55 PM »

The state election page is linked at the bottom of each election page, such as South Carolina Governor 2002.  Its called "<state name> Election Results Home".  You also can select them from the pull-down menu at the bottom: Choose another Office.

They link doesn't exist in the frame version at the moment - I'll add that to the list of things to do.
Dave
Thanks Dave!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies